Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

At least PM is local. Doubt any of the others are.

Being local is no defence...for anything. Some of the biggest twats/liars/crooks/charlatans/nasty fuckers I’ve ever met are local. I’m not simply referring to Tynwald and the media either.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gettafa said:

Andy Wint with Lawrence Skelly on Mannn Line just now. How is it that so many people apparently text in with such obsequious questions and remarks all of a sudden now Andy Wint is running the shop?

'Cos after all, one does expect a return of some sort for £900+k a year?

• Like 1

Andy knows which side his bread is buttered and likes to have his ego massaged in return too.

Incidentally, I see Manx Radio have now started to do the South Douglas by-election. Fair enough I suppose, they have not given it election overload as might have been the case in previous years when adults were in charge.

(I would point out a minor inaccuracy in the reporting, in that there has previously been a by-election where 2 seats were available in a constituency, as mentioned in the relevant thread on the forum)

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/banned-driver-denies-charges-after-crashing-into-car-showroom/

Banned driver denies charges after crashing into car showroom

Friday, August 14th, 2020 3:18pm

Richard Malcom appeared at Douglas courthouse

A banned motorist from Union Mills has appeared in court accused of driving his Audi to an Aston Martin showroom in Braddan.

Sixty-year-old Richard Malcolm Powell of Lhergy Cripperty appeared before Deputy High Bailiff Christopher Arrowsmith at Douglas courthouse.

He denies two charges of using threatening or abusive words or behaviour as well as one of driving while disqualified.

He was bailed to appear in court again on 8 October.

One of the more amateur articles of recent times. Apart from not even managing to spell the man's name correctly,  the story bears little relationship to the sensational  heading. Piss poor. My question: is it legal to drive a BMW to an Aston Martin showroom in Braddan?

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

One of the more amateur articles of recent times. Apart from not even managing to spell the man's name correctly,  the story bears little relationship to the sensational  heading. Piss poor. My question: is it legal to drive a BMW to an Aston Martin showroom in Braddan?

This may be that very rare thing - a news item where the headline is more accurate than the text.  Presumably it should have read  "Audi into an Aston Martin showroom", but competent reporting would have tried to find out more details of the incident, never mind not even copying things down properly.

Admittedly Mr Powell has a history of forgetting his own name, but that's no excuse for Manx Radio joining in.  We all make mistakes but this article has been up in this state since 3pm on Friday (so there's not even the excuse that it was produced out of core hours) without being corrected.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Augustus said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/banned-driver-denies-charges-after-crashing-into-car-showroom/

Banned driver denies charges after crashing into car showroom

Friday, August 14th, 2020 3:18pm

Richard Malcom appeared at Douglas courthouse

A banned motorist from Union Mills has appeared in court accused of driving his Audi to an Aston Martin showroom in Braddan.

Sixty-year-old Richard Malcolm Powell of Lhergy Cripperty appeared before Deputy High Bailiff Christopher Arrowsmith at Douglas courthouse.

He denies two charges of using threatening or abusive words or behaviour as well as one of driving while disqualified.

He was bailed to appear in court again on 8 October.

Same guy who lied about his name when landing by private jet. Just been let off too. What a nice man.

edit to ask if the theft charges were dropped too, or was it just the false name and DOB at the airport that was deemed to be a wrong charge ?

Edited by dilligaf
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1