Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Cocaine is a terrible drug taken by terrible people.

But that is why they take it. For a few hours they are king of the world, well in their own addled mind anyway. They are still rsoles from the outside.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

But that is why they take it. For a few hours they are king of the world, well in their own addled mind anyway. They are still rsoles from the outside.

Sounds like the pratt in the black Range Rover trying to force his way through Ballaugh, Station Road bicycle carrier road block today, or were they all on cocaine? The arrogance would be unbelievable if it wasn't so obviously on display.

5 hours ago, Augustus said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/banned-driver-denies-charges-after-crashing-into-car-showroom/

Banned driver denies charges after crashing into car showroom

Friday, August 14th, 2020 3:18pm

Richard Malcom appeared at Douglas courthouse

A banned motorist from Union Mills has appeared in court accused of driving his Audi to an Aston Martin showroom in Braddan.

Sixty-year-old Richard Malcolm Powell of Lhergy Cripperty appeared before Deputy High Bailiff Christopher Arrowsmith at Douglas courthouse.

He denies two charges of using threatening or abusive words or behaviour as well as one of driving while disqualified.

He was bailed to appear in court again on 8 October.

One of the more amateur articles of recent times. Apart from not even managing to spell the man's name correctly,  the story bears little relationship to the sensational  heading. Piss poor. My question: is it legal to drive a BMW to an Aston Martin showroom in Braddan?

Is this the same knob that’s just got out of the nick for the Covid offences? 

58 minutes ago, Southfork said:

Is this the same knob that’s just got out of the nick for the Covid offences? 

Same name. His conviction was overturned. The law he was charged under didn’t exist. It was way back in March. He’d have been out for 3 months or more, if it’s him.

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Same guy who lied about his name when landing by private jet. Just been let off too. What a nice man.

the man is one of the biggest bell-ends I've had the misfortune to meet on the Island.

He's up on further charges for something else I read recently in paper.

Plod trying very hard to pin something on him, which I hope they do. Very unpleasant chap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Same name. His conviction was overturned. The law he was charged under didn’t exist. It was way back in March. He’d have been out for 3 months or more, if it’s him.

Well the age matches as well and there can't be that many people with that exact name in Lhergy Cripperty.

The IOM Newspapers piece on his sentencing in April rather confusingly says he had served more than eight weeks on remand, which is odd given he was only arrested on 20 March, unless he was on remand for at least four weeks in 2014/5 as well, which seems unlikely for those offences.  I also like how in mitigation his advocate said "Mr Rodgers added that being in trouble and sent to a borstal at a young age had left a ’profound impact on his life’ but that Powell had turned himself around in the early 2000s", which if you think about it translates to "My client was a career criminal for 25 years".

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well the age matches as well and there can't be that many people with that exact name in Lhergy Cripperty.

The IOM Newspapers piece on his sentencing in April rather confusingly says he had served more than eight weeks on remand, which is odd given he was only arrested on 20 March, unless he was on remand for at least four weeks in 2014/5 as well, which seems unlikely for those offences.  I also like how in mitigation his advocate said "Mr Rodgers added that being in trouble and sent to a borstal at a young age had left a ’profound impact on his life’ but that Powell had turned himself around in the early 2000s", which if you think about it translates to "My client was a career criminal for 25 years".

8 weeks, with time off is 4. Does that make sense.

To be fair, it is the Isle of Man and we have a history of just accepting anyone with loads of money, no questions asked, and giving them a so-called fresh start.

Personally I would rather live off spuds and herring than take their dirty money, but  what can you do, but I suppose we have to survive.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

8 weeks, with time off is 4. Does that make sense.

It's not the usual way they report it though.  I suppose they could have misunderstood and dropped 'the equivalent of' or similar.

I presume his driving ban would have finished by now, so he could legally have driven to the showroom to break the law again.

15 minutes ago, gettafa said:

To be fair, it is the Isle of Man and we have a history of just accepting anyone with loads of money, no questions asked, and giving them a so-called fresh start.

In mitigation it was also said "Powell also pays into the island’s top tax bracket".  Which either means he' using the tax cap (and so pays a lower effective rate than everyone else) or pays the 20% - like most working people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not the usual way they report it though.  I suppose they could have misunderstood and dropped 'the equivalent of' or similar.

I presume his driving ban would have finished by now, so he could legally have driven to the showroom to break the law again.

In mitigation it was also said "Powell also pays into the island’s top tax bracket".  Which either means he' using the tax cap (and so pays a lower effective rate than everyone else) or pays the 20% - like most working people.

Begs the question as to when the Aston Martin showroom happened.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Why should his tax bracket have anything whatsoever to do with his failure to observe driving legalities?

• Like 1