Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Whatever loss Manx Radio has, just gets uplifted into the following year's subvention. It's time the sacred cow was put out to pasture and survive on its own feet.

Oh, and if taxpayers are paying over £1million a year, they should have a say. And I would like to say that not even halfway through October is too early for jolly jingly singy Christmas adverts, or any Christmas advert. Are Manx Radio really that hard up for advert revenue (answer is no, obviously. Manx Radio is rolling in taxpayers cash)

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

And I would like to say that not even halfway through October is too early for jolly jingly singy Christmas adverts, or any Christmas advert. Are Manx Radio really that hard up for advert revenue (answer is no, obviously)

Ever notice how the jingle bells never quite line up with the song... Fire the jangler

I got a shock this morning. I had to listen to the morning show, the bit that used to be Morning Mandate, and amongst the crap music (it's all crap to many of us that time of day) a chap called John Moss came on and gave a bit of a brief about what happened in the House of Keys yesterday. 

I realize that the sittings have just started after the summer break, but it was most peculiar to hear someone talking at least semi-seriously amongst all the TV chit chat and playing their bangers. Anyway, there was no real in-depth coverage, just a focus when the House of Keys were having a guffaw, but even that didn't sit well with the breakfast crew and they soon cut Mossy off.

The station has been going down hill since they squeezed out some of the more serious presenters. 

I suppose life is not about boring old politics, but more about having a good old laugh and a knees up and playing records.

Especially when you are receiving well in excess of £1million a year of taxpayers, money. 

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It is shocking when everyone is trying to figure out a way forward post Covid, that extra taxpayers cash is needed to bail out this utterly mismanaged antique broadcaster. This must rate as one of governments highest profligate success stories ! Get a grip and cut your cloth, thats what the rest of us have to do !!

• Thanks 1

It's a public service broadcaster.  It isn't ever going to run at a profit.  Like the BBC won't.

It's actually not badly managed either.  Pugh's replacement is doing fine.  One of the more poisonous senior employees has also gone.

I'm more concerned about chucking 7m at silt removal in Peel just for it to build back up again whilst the marina itself produces a fraction of that in revenue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It's a public service broadcaster.  It isn't ever going to run at a profit.  Like the BBC won't.

It's actually not badly managed either.  Pugh's replacement is doing fine.  One of the more poisonous senior employees has also gone.

I'm more concerned about chucking 7m at silt removal in Peel just for it to build back up again whilst the marina itself produces a fraction of that in revenue.

If you deal with both at the source insteat of at the bottom, you will find a better solution.

4 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I certainly agree re Peel and I'm sure we could list a raft of money drains that produce little ! However I standby by my point that an island radio station with a few thousand listeners which starts of with a million quid on the balance sheet each year and is allowed to compete on advertising revenues ends up 65K in the red, if that isn't mismanagement I don';t know what is !!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

You foolish boy.

They don't run at a profit because all the money they have is divied up. At the moment the station is awash with cash, hence such as the multiple presenters. They have to lose all that money somewhere.

(And is anyone here willing to hazard a guess as to how much the hourly rate/show rate is for the non-staff DJs)

It is within Manx Radio's interests to make sure they run at a loss so that the following years subvention is secured. It's called 'taking the piss'. Big time. But the donkeys in Tynwald are sanguine about it, as it isn't their money they are chucking at the people who feed their egos for them.

• Like 2