Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

4 hours ago, Barlow said:

You foolish boy.

They don't run at a profit because all the money they have is divied up. At the moment the station is awash with cash, hence such as the multiple presenters. They have to lose all that money somewhere.

(And is anyone here willing to hazard a guess as to how much the hourly rate/show rate is for the non-staff DJs)

It is within Manx Radio's interests to make sure they run at a loss so that the following years subvention is secured. It's called 'taking the piss'. Big time. But the donkeys in Tynwald are sanguine about it, as it isn't their money they are chucking at the people who feed their egos for them.

Sure.  A lot of BS there .  Surprisingly :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Sure.  A lot of BS there .  Surprisingly :rolleyes:

Yea BS for sure. I'd be ashamed if I ran a company at a loss that raked in an extra £1million from the taxpayer. And then got the begging bowl out for another £200,000. For doing it's job.

Covid-19 has not only saved Manx Radio from embarrassing listener figures but lined its pockets handsomely. After the New Manx Radio of October 2019 it was going down hill to hell in a handcart.

And I reckon the Stu Peters' matter has also made Manx Radio surprisingly more popular.

Anyway, thanks for providing, the opportunity to post the article from today's Manx Independent:

1095920033_20201015ManxRadiolosses01.thumb.jpg.5b8932e1652a3d4c2bd4e5a9bfddffe8.jpg

Edited by Barlow
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Do you even understand anything about Manx Radio? Like anything at all?

Yes.

It gets a subvention of a shitload of money from the taxpayer.

Since New Manx Radio October 2019 it has a propensity for 2 and sometimes 3 presenters. WTF.

For a number of decades the Morning Mandate programme provided news and current affairs and was its flagship programme. The new Programme Controller binned it for fun, games, frivolity and putting records on. He waited until such as Roger Watterson was out of the way before doing so and ignored the various government funded reports into Manx Radio which had recommended an extension of the Morning Mandate programme.

The bosses get their own way because they can simply stuff the presenters' mouths with taxpayers' money. It's the Isle of Man government way, you know.

A few years ago the presenters who were to be sacked and retaken on as contract/zero hours whinged like bastards, but they soon stfu when they  saw the wedge they were getting offered.

Alan Jackson was a king of the jolly bodies

Andy Mac's swap shop was ok

Dorothy from Peel, and Marge Joughin knew the score a bit, but not half as much as Roy Gough

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Holte End said:

You seem to think they it doesn't matter how much Manx Radio cost the general public

If Manx Radio made a profit, would they have to put it back into the public purse.

8 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Dunno.  Why would it?

Manx Radio will never make a profit. It is not in their interests to (just as Dog's Bits says). 

This is the point, once they get their teeth into the government teat they aren't going to let go.

To the extent, that we're seeing now that they just don't know what to spend the money on. Multiple presenters. Why not have 5 or 6 of them in the studio, like Chris Evans and Steve Wright etc have eh.. Well that's how the BBC do it so why shouldn't we?

A £million a year just because it is a so-fucking-called "Public Service Broadcaster".

Jeesus Dog's, you must be getting one way or another (I think I know) a hefty slice of that particular pie.

Edited by Barlow

25 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Manx Radio will never make a profit. It is not in their interests to (just as Dog's Bits says). 

This is the point, once they get their teeth into the government teat they aren't going to let go.

To the extent, that we're seeing now that they just don't know what to spend the money on. Multiple presenters. Why not have 5 or 6 of them in the studio, like Chris Evans and Steve Wright etc have eh.. Well that's how the BBC do it so why shouldn't we?

A £million a year just because it is a so-fucking-called "Public Service Broadcaster".

Jeesus Dog's, you must be getting one way or another (I think I know) a hefty slice of that particular pie.

I don't work for Manx Radio.  Never have. Never will.  And gain nothing financially from it.

It's a public service broadcaster.  It'll cost money over and above the 600k or whatever it is a year that it raises in revenues.

It caters for a wide range of broadcasting.  It costs money.  I dont think it's a massively wasteful business.  It simply costs money to run it.

Far better people involved now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think the point that's being missed is here that it's costing more and more money to run it. BM was brought in at least partly to reduce/stop the losses, to date he seems to be struggling to do so.

MR is undoubtedly a Public Service but that's not an all-encompassing excuse for it to be a deepening pit for taxpayer's best, the question is, could it be more efficient financially?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If you look at the overspend on pretty well every project that there is out there - the Prom etc..., should anyone be surprised that Manx Radio is incapable of making a profit?

It needs advertising to help pay its way, but some of the adverts are so woeful that, hardly surprising, a lot of people say they can't listen to them and switch off.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I think the point that's being missed is here that it's costing more and more money to run it. BM was brought in at least partly to reduce/stop the losses, to date he seems to be struggling to do so.

MR is undoubtedly a Public Service but that's not an all-encompassing excuse for it to be a deepening pit for taxpayer's best, the question is, could it be more efficient financially?

Agreed though it seems it’s an increasingly smaller part of its output that could be classed as Public Service broadcasting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1