Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

40 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

If you look at the overspend on pretty well every project that there is out there - the Prom etc..., should anyone be surprised that Manx Radio is incapable of making a profit?

It needs advertising to help pay its way, but some of the adverts are so woeful that, hardly surprising, a lot of people say they can't listen to them and switch off.

It will never pay its way. There's no going back.

I appreciate Manx Radio and much of what it has done, but just now it is taking the piss.

At what point can we agree enough is enough? I would suggest October 2019 with the launch of Manx Radio Fun, Games and jolly jipes, and the multiple presenter formats. By all means do that with a radio station but don't expect the taxpayer to fund it. 

And I think Isle of Man BBC, Paul Moulton and 3fm are doing a good enough if not better job of keeping the Isle of Man taxpayer informed.

Much as it pains me greatly to admit it, Ron Berry was right.

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I appreciate Manx Radio and much of what it has done, but just now it is taking the piss.

At what point can we agree enough is enough? I would suggest October 2019 with the launch of Manx Radio Fun, Games and jolly jipes, and the multiple presenter formats. By all means do that with a radio station but don't expect the taxpayer to fund it. 

And I think Isle of Man BBC, Paul Moulton and 3fm are doing a good enough if not better job of keeping the Isle of Man taxpayer informed.

Are the multiple presenters an added cost, or are they salaried and being paid whether they are presenting or doing some back office stuff?

• Like 1

The dual presenter model ( I think the dropped the trio one ) is hard to do and seldom works well. Maybe Alan and Mel on radio 2 but there is good chemistry there. Mayo and Whiley was a disaster although both excellent broadcasters when solo ( Mayo did have his posse but it was his show). The dual presenting on Manx Radio does not work - I press the off button I’m afraid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Yeh. Cheers Ron  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Anyone said:

The dual presenter model ( I think the dropped the trio one ) is hard to do and seldom works well. Maybe Alan and Mel on radio 2 but there is good chemistry there. Mayo and Whiley was a disaster although both excellent broadcasters when solo ( Mayo did have his posse but it was his show). The dual presenting on Manx Radio does not work - I press the off button I’m afraid.

I've found it OK.  Positive change in my view.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Christie DeHaven and Howard Cain work well together 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Are the multiple presenters an added cost, or are they salaried and being paid whether they are presenting or doing some back office stuff?

Hmmmm..very civil service way of thinking

Either way it's the cost of two people as opposed to one. 

When it comes to radio I would suggest one's company, two's a crowd.

'Posses' and chatting about last night's TV isn't Public Service Broadcasting

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Yes TJ, but you do understand it's a public service broadcaster right?

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Yeh. Cheers Ron  

Make up your mind. First I'm TJ and now I'm Ron Berry.

Hmm, actually that makes me think. Maybe you're right in that Ron and TJ are one and the same....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barlow said:

What I can't reconcile, is our Governments willingness to piss money up the wall, and yet vital stuff like this ..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-54573692

has to be paid for by charities raising money ( I take my cap off to them btw)!

Horse trams have wasted millions , manx radio , 33million gone somewhere in the film business ( feel free to add your own pet annoyance) and here we have charities buying vital equipment for the hospital ?

Tell Manx Radio to get its fingers out the cookie jar and prioritise !

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, asitis said:

What I can't reconcile, is our Governments willingness to piss money up the wall, and yet vital stuff like this ..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-54573692

has to be paid for by charities raising money ( I take my cap off to them btw)!

Horse trams have wasted millions , manx radio , 33million gone somewhere in the film business ( feel free to add your own pet annoyance) and here we have charities buying vital equipment for the hospital ?

Tell Manx Radio to get its fingers out the cookie jar and prioritise !

The film stuff made multiple millions overall. Not sure why you think it lost money.

There will always be something "better" to spend money on. Life doesn't work like that though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Anyone said:

It's all awful. The very concept of cheery presenter "chemistry" makes me feel queasy. Tinpot local radio and the BBC equally. And that horrible conceit that we are all somehow part of some shared national conversation - mostly reminiscing about old records or txting in the answers to stupid questions. And now the traffic. And now the mystery voice. 

The radio and tv spectrum should be auctioned off to whoever will pay the most for it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

The film stuff made multiple millions overall. Not sure why you think it lost money.

There will always be something "better" to spend money on. Life doesn't work like that though.

Jesus H, so you’re the one that believes that shite...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pongo said:

It's all awful. The very concept of cheery presenter "chemistry" makes me feel queasy. Tinpot local radio and the BBC equally. And that horrible conceit that we are all somehow part of some shared national conversation - mostly reminiscing about old records or txting in the answers to stupid questions. And now the traffic. And now the mystery voice. 

The radio and tv spectrum should be auctioned off to whoever will pay the most for it.

Well it’s not all bad. Christie DeHaven does a very good Saturday evening show ( solo ) as does Paul Corkish on a Sunday ( solo ). That Peters chap also seems to manage on his own. Few others as well do good solo shows. I just think dual presenting misses the point of good radio.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Jesus H, so you’re the one that believes that shite...

Whether it made multiple millions or not is not the point. A very small cabal of people lost 33 million pounds of other peoples money, irrespective of how much the VAT return may or may not have made, that's the issue. Oh and the VAT renegotiation cost us millions too if there is / was a connection ! Agreed N D.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 2