Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

8 hours ago, Anyone said:

Well it’s not all bad. Christie DeHaven does a very good Saturday evening show ( solo ) as does Paul Corkish on a Sunday ( solo ). That Peters chap also seems to manage on his own. Few others as well do good solo shows. I just think dual presenting misses the point of good radio.

Correct. A good radio programme involves the presenter addressing (as it were) each listener as an individual, whereas these double-handers create a conversation between the presenters, of which we are ‘external’ listeners. They’re addressing each other, not us. Their conversation needs to be damn good if we are to feel engaged. At times the Mel and Alan thing works on Radio 2, but even then they wander off into riffs between themselves quite often. Two presenters, much of the time, fails.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Whether it made multiple millions or not is not the point. A very small cabal of people lost 33 million pounds of other peoples money, irrespective of how much the VAT return may or may not have made, that's the issue. Oh and the VAT renegotiation cost us millions too if there is / was a connection ! Agreed N D.

We need to deal in facts though.

You can't just go calling out a specific loss here or there (say Xm on thay Zac Efron film) without acknowledging (a) it's perfectly common in that industry to see many losers and (b) no venture into films equals no enormous amounts of VAT which the island benefitted from.

It also wasn't 33m really was it?  

The VAT renegotiation didn't really "cost" us did it? We had received enormous millions to the film industry.  It's hsrdly like we handed it back.

Getting back to your point about charities buying things for hospital - what's wrong with that? Isn't it what charities do?

The richest man on the island ploughs significant sums into various good causes on the island.  He's here doing that because of the government.   That's before you get to the enormous economic benefit the company he created has brought to the island.

Sure, governments waste money.  It's the nature of the beast.

Anyway, election year in 2021 so it'll be great to see you standing as a candidate to make the changes you think are needed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

We need to deal in facts though.

You can't just go calling out a specific loss here or there (say Xm on thay Zac Efron film) without acknowledging (a) it's perfectly common in that industry to see many losers and (b) no venture into films equals no enormous amounts of VAT which the island benefitted from.

It also wasn't 33m really was it?  

The VAT renegotiation didn't really "cost" us did it? We had received enormous millions to the film industry.  It's hsrdly like we handed it back.

Getting back to your point about charities buying things for hospital - what's wrong with that? Isn't it what charities do?

The richest man on the island ploughs significant sums into various good causes on the island.  He's here doing that because of the government.   That's before you get to the enormous economic benefit the company he created has brought to the island.

Sure, governments waste money.  It's the nature of the beast.

Anyway, election year in 2021 so it'll be great to see you standing as a candidate to make the changes you think are needed.

A person can have an opinion be it critical or whatever without having to stand as a candidate to validate any opinion ! I don't think half the political representation we have on the island is suitable to be in those positions but as I said earlier neither do I consider myself suitable either !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Correct. A good radio programme involves the presenter addressing (as it were) each listener as an individual, whereas these double-handers create a conversation between the presenters, of which we are ‘external’ listeners. They’re addressing each other, not us. Their conversation needs to be damn good if we are to feel engaged. At times the Mel and Alan thing works on Radio 2, but even then they wander off into riffs between themselves quite often. Two presenters, much of the time, fails.

Whatever, the taxpayer shouldn't be paying for this sort of shite.

The Public Broadcaster remit should be put out to tender.

How can it cost over £3million over 3 years? That's fucking impossible.

I would value the opinion of Ron Berry, Paul Moulton, James Davis et al on that

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, asitis said:

A person can have an opinion be it critical or whatever without having to stand as a candidate to validate any opinion ! I don't think half the political representation we have on the island is suitable to be in those positions but as I said earlier neither do I consider myself suitable either !

No one suggests you can't have an opinion whether you do or don't stand.

But it's hardly a great staring position to say "hey, I'm fucking useless but I'm going to moan about other useless people" is it?

Then when you couple that with clearly incorrect information then it's fair to challenge you.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

No one suggests you can't have an opinion whether you do or don't stand.

But it's hardly a great staring position to say "hey, I'm fucking useless but I'm going to moan about other useless people" is it?

Then when you couple that with clearly incorrect information then it's fair to challenge you.

I didn't say I was useless, far from it , what I did say is my CV is not what I would vote for when wanting a politician. We need people who are fiscally savvy, analytical and can deal with ruthless business, because it is too easy run rings around our Government ! In respect of the film fund, maybe had there not been so much smoke and mirrors and commercial confidentiality, so beloved of those at the time, then cynics like me would be more convinced of its transparency and efficacy !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The expected and entirely predictable responses straight from Govt. Cabinet Office Communications; working on a Saturday too :thumbsup:.

There is now an inquiry into this matter. Nobody knows or can predict the outcome of the investigations into the financial side. What I'm going to predict though is a finding of the sidelining and even misleading of Tynwald Court and a disregard for its democratic authority.

Based entirely on the "previous" of the main protagonists in the matter.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

We'll never know what happened to the real millions that went missing. At least with the MEA and Proffitt, the public got to know the amount. Not the first time a few shady accountants and shysters conned the Manx Government and taxpayers out of big millions.

A new MHK, all bright eyed and bushy tailed looked into the IRIS project. All sorts of barriers were put up in his way and he was told he would have to go down to Meary Veg if he wanted to see any records. So he did, and spent a few weeks down there. Found a big black hole of several £millions and brought his findings to Tynwald.

They quickly made him a Minister and not a peep was ever heard from him about the matter. Even to the extent of voting against a call for the Public Accounts Committee to look into IRIS.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2020 at 4:23 PM, LightBulb said:

Employing 1 presenter to do a bad show, now seems to have gone to 2 presenters to do a bad show, how long before we have 3 presenters to a bad show, and push up the salaries even more ?

It's been done of course. When New Manx Radio took off in October 2019, soon after it received its £3million for the next 3 years. it had 3 presenters on the afternoon show.

Anyway, regarding the extra £200,000 for covering Covid-19. I disagree with the statement made by chairman Bill Mummery. There were other free-to-air coverage of the government's daily Covid briefings eg on Facebook:

Isle of Man Government itself,

Isle of Man Newspapers,

Gef the Mongoose,

3fm and Energy.

All free to view. and all usually had greater viewing figures than Manx Radio. 

Oh...and didn't our wonderfully expensive Public Service Broadcaster get criticized for chopping off the Covid radio broadcast when questions started? (answer =yes). It seemed to me the Programme Controller was more concerned in having his own airtime cut for all those 'boring questions and boring Covid'. 

What is this extra money for? Sounds to me like they chanced it eg. "try for £200,00, we might be lucky and get £100,00".

But this is the Isle of Man Government. The got, or will be getting it looks to me, the full £200,000.

Jeezus...

1110234912_CovidMR.jpg.520c3485b95adbd58b9a114c1e1abb36.jpg

Uninterrupted.  My arse[eta: telling listeners to tune to AM (wtf is that these days?) when the questions were broadcast is not uninterrupted]

free-to-air. My arse too [eta: £200,000 plus subvention for the year is not free. Whereas Isle of Man newspapers facebook is, ditto Gef the Mongoose, 3fm and Energy]

Edited by Barlow
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

It's been done of course. When New Manx Radio took off in October 2019, soon after it received its £3million for the next 3 years. it had 3 presenters on the afternoon show.

Anyway, regarding the extra £200,000 for covering Covid-19. I disagree with the statement made by chairman Bill Mummery. There were other free-to-air coverage of the government's daily Covid briefings eg on Facebook:

Isle of Man Government itself,

Isle of Man Newspapers,

Gef the Mongoose,

3fm and Energy.

All free to view. and all usually had greater viewing figures than Manx Radio. 

Oh...and didn't our wonderfully expensive Public Service Broadcaster get criticized for chopping off the Covid radio broadcast when questions started? (answer =yes). It seemed to me the Programme Controller was more concerned in having his own airtime cut for all those 'boring questions and boring Covid'. 

What is this extra money for? Sounds to me like they chanced it eg. "try for £200,00, we might be lucky and get £100,00".

But this is the Isle of Man Government. The got, or will be getting it looks to me, the full £200,000.

Jeezus...

1110234912_CovidMR.jpg.520c3485b95adbd58b9a114c1e1abb36.jpg

Uninterrupted.  My arse

free-to-air. My arse too

I watched the briefings on FB when they cut the questions because I couldn't be bothered tuning to AM.  I wrote to Chris Sully to ask him to reconsider; didn't even get an acknowledgement. 

I feel a bit awful.

Howard is on his own in the Manx Radio studio this afternoon and he's sounding rather lonely and sad. Playing sad music too,

I hope he is alright.

• Haha 1