Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

I am not religious, but my family was, and I was taught, both at home and at school, that using names such as that in that fashion was blasphemous. I have always tried to avoid it, not only because it is completely unnecessary, but also because it might upset someone who is religious. I was also taught that there are numerous alternatives that can be used in place of "f" words or other expletives.

I use the words "person of religion" in the same way that someone might refer to a "person of colour". (Except maybe in my own home and in private :)).

Well, golly gosh old bean.

If anyone religious is offended, then they would not be reading online forums in the first place, 

I have religious people in my family, but I don’t understand something they do. 
If it bothers you on here , I will say Brian, instead of Jesus. OK ?

Listening in tonight, I have just realised how good Chris Pearson is. Not only playing great Chillout tracks, he interacts with his listeners so well
Thanks for a great Sunday evening. Sunday’s are proving to be the best days to listen in, after the Mannin Line,  ( no disrespect to Andy). Programming is so good for the rest of the day.

I tuned in four times today. Phil the Match Wheel was talking on the first two, the third he was 'singing'. So I waited until the next programme and bugger me backwards if it wasn't Phil 'singing' again.

To be fair, the guest who was speaking about Manx ships (did you know a Manx boat was the first to have an aircraft take off from it...) was very good.

Edited by Barlow
Edited to put the word singing in inverted commas (only joking - it was ok singing)
  • Like 2

Not sure I agree, there is no current affairs programme and Phil Gawne speaking Manx in a sing-song way is just awful.   Brian Stowell was informative and gave some etymology of the Manx.  Phil just reads like he is reading a nursery rhyme to a reception class, even when it is the weather forecast. 

Its a shame really because Sunday is a good day to sit with a cup of tea, read the newspaper and listen to something interesting and challenging.  

Have to agree on Chris Pearson, its a good programme as is Christy's on at teatime on a Saturday.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Its a shame really because Sunday is a good day to sit with a cup of tea, read the newspaper and listen to something interesting and challenging.  

Stuart Maconies Freak Zone, 8-10 Sunday night, radio 6. Interesting and challenging.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I tuned in four times today. Phil the Match Wheel was talking on the first two, the third he was 'singing'. So I waited until the next programme and bugger me backwards if it wasn't Phil 'singing' again.

To be fair, the guest who was speaking about Manx ships (did you know a Manx boat was the first to have an aircraft take off from it...) was very good.

You don’t do yoyrsekf any favours fella.  You sound like a Magpie fan commenting on Blue Peter

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Interesting 'factoid'. What year/ship was that?

The Viking, First World War. The aircraft a Sopwith Pup. Managed to take off after 44ft....

Edited by Barlow