Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

...did you know a Manx boat was the first to have an aircraft take off from it...

Was he correct? I did a search and the name and origin never came up...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_aircraft_carrier#:~:text=Hōshō%3A the first purpose-built aircraft carrier commissioned,-The IJN's&text=The first purpose-designed aircraft,was commissioned in February 1924.

Obviously it's Wikipedia but couldn't find anything in maritime history to confirm the story... 

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I suspect that was pre-dated by a few years - 1910 USA, 1912 British.

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

Was he correct? I did a search and the name and origin never came up...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_aircraft_carrier#:~:text=Hōshō%3A the first purpose-built aircraft carrier commissioned,-The IJN's&text=The first purpose-designed aircraft,was commissioned in February 1924.

Obviously it's Wikipedia but couldn't find anything in maritime history to confirm the story... 

The guy wasn't laying hard and fast facts but it was suggested.

All very interesting. Look out for the Quilliam Lectures

(Incidentally, The Viking was named The Vindex during the war.)

Edited by Barlow

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Wiki also credits Ben my chree as the first some months earlier!

No disrespect, but I could change Wiki to say the first Aircraft Carrier was in Silverdale Glen by a paddle vessel called The Barlow,  in 1801 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Barlow said:

No disrespect, but I could change Wiki to say the first Aircraft Carrier was in Silverdale Glen by a paddle vessel called The Barlow,  in 1801 

No problem, I wasn't trying to diss you just pointing out how hard it is to get solid info!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, finlo said:

Wiki also credits Ben my chree as the first some months earlier!

Wiki's actually quite good on ships.  Of course it can be vandalised but if you check back earlier versions, you can usually verify if anything dodgy looking is genuine or not.

In this case the claim for the Viking/Vindex is

On 3 November one of her fighter aircraft, piloted by Sub. Lieut. H. F. Towler was launched from her flying off platform, soon to be called the Flight deck. This was the first instance of a land plane with a wheeled undercarriage taking off from the deck of an aircraft carrier.

With a link to the RAF Museum website.  Previous use of aircraft has involved seaplanes.  For the Ben-my-Chree the claim is

One of her aircraft made the first ship-launched aerial torpedo attack on a ship in August [1915].

Also on the  RAF Museum link (12 August).  So as ever the devil is in the detail.

• Thanks 1

It's good stuff.

The participation of the Isle of Man and the Isle of Man Steam Packet during both World Wars is very much understated, not least by ourselves.

Aye - watch out for the Quilliam Lecture. It was postponed due to lockdown but should happen in 2021, according to the discussion on Manx Radio.

Edited by Barlow
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

On 11/15/2020 at 9:51 AM, monasqueen said:

When you listen to the radio on a daily basis, you are effectively inviting the presenters into your home, and whether you like them or not they become part of your lives. 

Is it unreasonable to take an interest in the reason for their sudden, unexplained, disappearance?

And "we as taxpayers" are paying for these people, so we should take some interest in where our money is going.

What's with the reference to a person of religion? Has your own life not taught you adequate words to express yourself without names and expletives?

You sound like the sort of person who takes an interest in Philip Schofields’ private life, justifiably of course if you pay for a TV license

45 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You sound like the sort of person who takes an interest in Philip Schofields’ private life, justifiably of course if you pay for a TV license

Does Schofield appear on any TV channel paid for out of the licence fee.

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Does Schofield appear on any TV channel paid for out of the licence fee.

He has previously been“ The Broom  Cupboard “ on Children’s BBC during which time I held a license fee.  He certainly appeared on a TV channel paid for out of the license fee not so long ago (the BBC news re the total unnecessary brouhaha about him coming out as gay). He may well appear again on BBC schedules in the future.

Your question seems quite unnecessary as monasqueen was suggesting you are “inviting presenters into your home” and thus they are fair game

Maybe I shouldn’t have raised the TV license issue. I didn’t think anyone would even consider making an issue of it. Anyway I can watch him on ITV’s “This Morning” on my television for which I have a license.
I really can’t be arsed thinking of clever ways in which I could watch “This Morning” on a device that is not capable of receiving the BBC  ( I would stress that I don’t actually watch “This Morning” but do watch other ITV productions)

I’m having some mental health issues with the news reader at the moment.

How can someone come so far in live news reading and not know that after a decimal point you read out each figure?  1.13 is 1 . 1 3. Not 1.thirteen.

I think my head will explode if he ever has to read ‘thirteen thirsty ferrets have 13.13 thousand followers on Facebook’.

Please God, can we have the girl back who’s lips couldn’t keep up with the rest of her mouth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just to answer the question which has appeared on this topic concerning my absence from the station and to clarify a couple of points. 

I had been referred to Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital earlier this year for a double bypass operation. This was delayed twice due to Coronovirus which has obviously placed extra pressure on the facilities and staff. I received a last minute phone call two weeks ago to advise me that surgeons would be able to perform the operation last weekend. I took a Covid test here on the Island and self isolated prior to travelling. I was tested twice whilst in Liverpool and have now returned to the Island to complete two weeks self isolation. I am self employed and won’t receive any payment from the station whilst not presenting or producing programmes. I have learnt in over 40 years in the business that listeners do relate very closely with presenters that they like and are naturally interested if they do not appear on air. However, I do not believe that it is anyones given right to know details of somebody else's private life just because they happen to work for a radio station which is part Government funded. It was my decision to allow my colleagues to mention the situation on air if they felt it right. Any of you with experience of this type of surgery will be aware that it will take time to recover and I hope to be back at work as soon as possible. There you are, that’s it, no hidden agenda, no waste of public money and no skeet or gossip. Keep safe, be lucky and be nice.

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Just to answer the question which has appeared on this topic concerning my absence from the station and to clarify a couple of points. 

I had been referred to Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital earlier this year for a double bypass operation. This was delayed twice due to Coronovirus which has obviously placed extra pressure on the facilities and staff. I received a last minute phone call two weeks ago to advise me that surgeons would be able to perform the operation last weekend. I took a Covid test here on the Island and self isolated prior to travelling. I was tested twice whilst in Liverpool and have now returned to the Island to complete two weeks self isolation. I am self employed and won’t receive any payment from the station whilst not presenting or producing programmes. I have learnt in over 40 years in the business that listeners do relate very closely with presenters that they like and are naturally interested if they do not appear on air. However, I do not believe that it is anyones given right to know details of somebody else's private life just because they happen to work for a radio station which is part Government funded. It was my decision to allow my colleagues to mention the situation on air if they felt it right. Any of you with experience of this type of surgery will be aware that it will take time to recover and I hope to be back at work as soon as possible. There you are, that’s it, no hidden agenda, no waste of public money and no skeet or gossip. Keep safe, be lucky and be nice.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery Chris.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

Get well soon. Sorry you felt the pitch of and tone of comments meant you felt you had to come on and justify. It’s no ones business but yours.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1