Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

26 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I agree. Minor mispronunciations on the 8am news can put a dampener on your whole day.

Actually, given that radio is purely aural, bad or lazy pronunciation just cannot be missed -  there is nothing to distract. We don't need the received English of the old BBC, but it would be so good to listen to MR without wincing.  I like an accent, but having an accent is not the same as lazy speech. 

My list:-

1.  The Ramsey Garden Centre - are they saying carefully tended or tendered?

2. The sports presenter on a Saturday consistently pronouncing Mooragh as  "Moorag" rather than "Moorack" or Glencrutchery as Glenclutchery.

3. Kerry Gascoigne, a good lively presenter, but have a go at all those Gs - you have a couple in your name even if one is silent. 

4. Paul Corkish - ok its a Manxism, but more than one pound has an s at the end. 

I have no problem with not getting difficult foreign pronunciation right, but just get the basic English right. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

What about the guy that says firty free or furteen. Is it an impediment or laziness? Im not sure a newsreader is the best job for him.

Yep, I was going to mention him, but he has improved a bit and sometimes says "the" instead of "ver".

Hmm? A few more reasons not to listen to MR?

Even Evan Davies says 'Pleece' but I suspect some of these are Radio 4 staff jokes? They seem to appear and spread to other presenters?

The BBC has a 'pronunciation' Department!!! Neil Nunes has not found it yet?

Edited by Kopek

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Actually, given that radio is purely aural, bad or lazy pronunciation just cannot be missed -  there is nothing to distract. We don't need the received English of the old BBC, but it would be so good to listen to MR without wincing.  I like an accent, but having an accent is not the same as lazy speech. 

My list:-

1.  The Ramsey Garden Centre - are they saying carefully tended or tendered?

2. The sports presenter on a Saturday consistently pronouncing Mooragh as  "Moorag" rather than "Moorack" or Glencrutchery as Glenclutchery.

3. Kerry Gascoigne, a good lively presenter, but have a go at all those Gs - you have a couple in your name even if one is silent. 

4. Paul Corkish - ok its a Manxism, but more than one pound has an s at the end. 

I have no problem with not getting difficult foreign pronunciation right, but just get the basic English right. 

That Kerry Gascoigne’s rejection of the letter g at the end of a word drives me nuts...but by shite she has a set OF LUNGS ON HER!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Yep, I was going to mention him, but he has improved a bit and sometimes says "the" instead of "ver".

I’ve bitten my way through furteen wugs...sorry...rugs listening to that fucking ‘ver’ nonsense.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, asitis said:

They need to rehearse some clear speech training, collectively maybe slowly repeating " I look forward to receiving one million pounds of public money regularly, my sycophancy will know no bounds "

That should be annunciated clearly and in dulcet tones !

Enunciated, surely?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Enunciated, surely?

That's why I do not work for Manx Radio LOL !!!

Actually I've just had a look at these verbs the E means to speak with the utmost clarity, the a means to announce clearly ! we could be splitting hairs here, my career in radio is not over yet !

Edited by asitis

39 minutes ago, asitis said:

Actually I've just had a look at these verbs the E means to speak with the utmost clarity, the a means to announce clearly ! we could be splitting hairs here, my career in radio is not over yet !

Nah - you're just wrong. But I do think they should speak clearly :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, asitis said:

They need to rehearse some clear speech training, collectively maybe slowly repeating " I look forward to receiving one million pounds of public money regularly, my sycophancy will know no bounds "

That should be annunciated clearly and in dulcet tones !

That's kind of the point. Manx Radio does not have to try. They are sucking on the perpetual Isle of Man Government/taxpayers' golden teat. They aren't even sucking, as the cash is being poured just by the force of mere gravity. I'm not sure how many more metaphors I can cram in, but I ran out after that first £1million and they are well into the second £million this year after the Covid windfall. For which they did little or next to sweet FA over and above.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2020 at 8:30 AM, asitis said:

it will be if you join MR...

• Haha 2