Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Jeremy Vine on BBC Radio2 yesterday had the subject of the jet skiier. He was amazed at all the emails he received from people on the Isle of Man. 

I have to say, since Stu Peters left the midday phone in slot on Manx Radio, I tend to listen more to the far less patronising Jeremy Vine (that's saying something), than the current chap on Manx Radio,.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

'Christmas On Manx Radio' is a good 'un. Today at 12:pm

https://www.manxradio.com/radioplayer/fm/od/items/christmas-on-manx-radio-20th-december/

Whoever is doing Chris Thomas' voice and the sketches with it are spot on.

Edited by Barlow

The Nation’s Station have an online article about ‘the great conjunction’ of Saturn and Jupiter today, which should be be worth seeing. There’s even a sound bite of Howard Parkin. What this ‘news’ item singularly fails to identify are the key pieces of information of when and where to see it! (Yes, I know it’s in the sky). FFS. 

So, if you’d like to witness it, look just above the horizon to the southwest, immediately after sunset, which occurs just before 4 o’clock today at 15:57.

MR fucking ‘news’ my arse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well done caller Eddie on Mannin Line today for calling out Treasury Minister Alf Cannan about the National Insurance fund.

He pointed out that Alf Cannan had just said that the National Insurance Fund was healthy and the jewel in the Isle of Man Government reserves. And it was also pointed out that The New Hospital was built by taking £40+million from the National Insurance fund.

And yet, on the other hand, Alf was claiming lack of funds so we are being made to work until 67 (and more, it's 68 for me) due to claims there wasn't enough money to pay pensions.

Hmmm . . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Well done caller Eddie on Mannin Line today for calling out Treasury Minister Alf Cannan about the National Insurance fund.

Hmmm . . 

The only way of getting some awkward questions answered is to ring in and actually ask directly. Andy Wint can be particularly selective in the text or email questions he chooses to put forward - you can hear him sweating and blustering occasionally when a difficult question gets through.

But there again - who's paying his wages? Rhetorical question.

Or maybe it's all just my imagination.

• Like 5

Nope, not your imagination. Andy Wint has his own agenda. That may be partly to suck up to Government, as he knows which side his bread is buttered and jammed, but mostly it is to promote himself as wise and avuncular, but actually just sounds like a pain in the arse knowall. 

11 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Should an active NI fund be used by Cannan as a reserve, strategic or otherwise?

It's purpose is care & security for the people who've paid into it all their lives, & living pensions should be paid from it

Well Alf was keen to just dip into the fund for Covid payments.

I suppose the £200,00 that Manx Radio got (over and above their annual £1million) for covering Covid briefings etc would accordingly have come from the NI fund.

Which explains a lot doesn't it.

ETA:

Oh and by the way there was a lot of National Insurance fund lined the pockets to a huge extent of those in the know when the New Hospital was being built. Especially when a company Crowe EPH was apparently magicked out of nowhere and disappeared similarly mid-way through the contract.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Uhtred said:

The Nation’s Station have an online article about ‘the great conjunction’ of Saturn and Jupiter today, which should be be worth seeing. There’s even a sound bite of Howard Parkin. What this ‘news’ item singularly fails to identify are the key pieces of information of when and where to see it! (Yes, I know it’s in the sky). FFS. 

So, if you’d like to witness it, look just above the horizon to the southwest, immediately after sunset, which occurs just before 4 o’clock today at 15:57.

MR fucking ‘news’ my arse.

They were quite specific for the event tomorrow though....12pm. Uranus is on the Mannin Line tomorrow lunchtime - the Health Minister...

...let's see how he blusters his way out of the govt legal team not working over the weekend and going on holiday instead of moving forward allowing people to be vaccinated this week.

Boils my piss.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

Nope, not your imagination. Andy Wint has his own agenda. That may be partly to suck up to Government, as he knows which side his bread is buttered and jammed, but mostly it is to promote himself as wise and avuncular, but actually just sounds like a pain in the arse knowall. 

Well Alf was keen to just dip into the fund for Covid payments.

I suppose the £200,00 that Manx Radio got (over and above their annual £1million) for covering Covid briefings etc would accordingly have come from the NI fund.

Which explains a lot doesn't it.

ETA:

Oh and by the way there was a lot of National Insurance fund lined the pockets to a huge extent of those in the know when the New Hospital was being built. Especially when a company Crowe EPH was apparently magicked out of nowhere and disappeared similarly mid-way through the contract.

What Covid payments did Treasury make from the NI Fund?

56 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

What Covid payments did Treasury make from the NI Fund?

The £100million put aside to cover the Covid emergency fund was lifted from the National Insurance fund. Of which "only" £75million has been used.

So the extra £200,000 or so whellbarrowed up to Manx Radio would have been taken from the the cheque book that says 'Covid'.

But wherever it has come from, that is a shed load of money on top of a shed load of money for Manx Radio. 

In fact 'that is a field full of sheds'

Edited by Barlow

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

The £100million put aside to cover the Covid emergency fund was lifted from the National Insurance fund. Of which "only" £75million has been used.

So the extra £200,000 or so whellbarrowed up to Manx Radio would have been taken from the the cheque book that says 'Covid'.

But wherever it has come from, that is a shed load of money on top of a shed load of money for Manx Radio. 

In fact 'that is a field full of sheds'

When will all those outside of government be told their retirement date will be put back a few years to fund it all?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1