Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Well that was the point of the phone call. There is loads and loads and loads of money in the National Insurance fund that has been used to fund it, and yet the retirement age has been put back already.

I love the way that our goverment like to follow UK when it suits them. ie retirement age, and didn't Graham 'Incredible Cregie' Cregeen MHK say that the toilet tax was following the way that England does it.

Anyway, the non-government workers will be going even longer, as the government employees retire earlier and earlier and on even more and more money and pension.

Edited by Barlow
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

The £100million put aside to cover the Covid emergency fund was lifted from the National Insurance fund. Of which "only" £75million has been used.

So the extra £200,000 or so whellbarrowed up to Manx Radio would have been taken from the the cheque book that says 'Covid'.

But wherever it has come from, that is a shed load of money on top of a shed load of money for Manx Radio. 

In fact 'that is a field full of sheds'

What has the £75m taken from the NI Fund been applied to?

5 hours ago, Barlow said:

Nope, not your imagination. Andy Wint has his own agenda. That may be partly to suck up to Government, as he knows which side his bread is buttered and jammed, but mostly it is to promote himself as wise and avuncular, but actually just sounds like a pain in the arse knowall. 

He is certainly ubiquitous.  Is there no genre of music he cannot make a Christmas 'special' about? 

7 hours ago, quilp said:

Not all of them. I already had notification 2 years ago that my retirement age was 66.8 years and expect it'll rise in 2022, if not sooner.

So there... 

That's for the state pension, yeah, age 65, 66, 67, 68 etc but it's mere pocket money to the civil servants* who retire after 30 years of tea drinking, and a massive lump sum and 50% or whatever of their inflated final salary as a pension

*Apologies, not all government workers obviously.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

There is an Isle of Man Coronavirus press briefing this morning.

As an indicator, it is interesting to note that 3fm had 1.2k viewers (with Energy a further 550+) and Manx Radio 1.1k viewers.

Manx Radio got a whopping £200k for extra Coronavirus costs.

And 3fm received £0k.

I'm no supporter of 3fm but I am certainly no supporter of pouring vast amounts of public money into Manx Radio.

Are you?

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

As an indicator, it is interesting to note that 3fm had 1.2k viewers (with Energy a further 550+) and Manx Radio 1.1k viewers.

And 3fm received £0k.

I'm no supporter of 3fm but I am certainly no supporter of pouring vast amounts of public money into Manx Radio.

Are you?

Time it became a visual media broadcaster - it's average audience penetration of under 20,000 surely makes it a minority interest as a radio station?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

And 3fm received £0k.

Are you?

I don't think you can really take too much from the viewing figures. In my case I just watch whichever one comes up first on my fb feed, which today happens to be 3fm. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't think you can really take too much from the viewing figures. In my case I just watch whichever one comes up first on my fb feed, which today happens to be 3fm. 

Yep, me too. I am subscribed to all of then and they all come up on my Facebook feed. That said, it is a good indicator, as it was throughout the whole lockdown press briefings.

What have Manx Radio done over and above their huge annual wack, during the pandemic?

The only difference I could detect was that Chris Williams broadcast from home. Although he had the other Chris in the studio so I suppose there is a (totally needless) cost there.

And Tim 'nice but not nice' Glover did have to attend the broadcasts to ask some nice questions. But so did 3fm, IoM Newspapers, Gef the Goose and some others. They didn't get a £200k sweetener.

The point being, I feel there was no need to give Manx Radio extra money. Unless someone can please persuade me differently

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Mind you, since Watterson has militarised the station they could/should get their funding from the UK MOD

Germany calling...Germany calling.... oh...er...sorry....Douglas Head calling, Douglas Head calling.

• Haha 1