Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

6 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Classy from MR

Had read all about this on the MR FB page, where they apologized. It was simply a matter of a slip up by whoever runs the MR page and his or her own page from the same log in / email addy or whatever. Most of us have done similar ( or in my case worse). Having now seen this pic, it is funny , not offensive in the least.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

No Brass Bands, Folk, Opera, Swing and Jazz.

Presumably because of the Lockdown. These programmes were broadcast during the first Lockdown using recorded programmes. Having done it once I am sure given the will Manx Radio could have done it again. Is it permanent?

This looks like a move to a further dumbing down of Manx Radio. I would like to be shown to be wrong but we'll see.

'

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

No Brass Bands, Folk, Opera, Swing and Jazz.

Presumably because of the Lockdown. These programmes were broadcast during the first Lockdown using recorded programmes. Having done it once I am sure given the will Manx Radio could have done it again. Is it permanent?

This looks like a move to a further dumbing down of Manx Radio. I would like to be shown to be wrong but we'll see.

'

Could be an excuse for 24 hour Phil Gawne?

If we've got many struggling with mental health by now, that will shove them right over the edge.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I sat through the entire Mandate programme waiting to hear about yesterday's virtual government Tynwald sitting - in particular the question asked by Julie Edge MHK about the latest situation concerning COVID-19 testing on and off Island.  I was sure it would be reported as social media has been gull of it for that last few days - especially by Manx Radio itself.

Not.

A.

Peep.

I always bristled when I heard the phrase 'The government's mouthpiece' but today I can see where it came from.

Are we now being directed in what we can, and cannot hear in order to shape opinion and stifle debate?

Similar to the comment section on IOMToday either not being there, or taken down when the website editor disagree with anything. It’s all orchestrated for the ‘greater good’.

• Like 4

I lost my trust in manx radio a while back now am sorry to say, at least old Stu gave most people a voice on the moaning line Winty boy seems very selective, also any of there Journalists that did seem a little more proactive soon get hovered up and placed in the cabinet office on a nice wedge.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Manx Radio aren't interested in politics anymore; it's the happy, fun station. The days of Roy MacMillan, Charles Guard, David Callister, Mossy, James Davis et al on the early morning Mandate programme are long gone. You can tell the presenters are having fun; they sound smug, indifferent and insincere; they know it's all just a laugh and that they're getting paid for it. There's a palpable sense that the station isn't going to bite the hand that feeds it millions of pounds of tax-payers money, without which they'd cease to exist. Like most things on this Island, it's a cosy arrangement and they know that they can feed the Manx public any old tripe but they'll still listen.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I might add that Government now employ, at eye-watering expense, a small army of suits in the Communication Division to manage and control the message. Part of that remit is to keep Manx Radio on a short leash and in its pocket. Otherwise, what's the point if your own media isn't on side and on message ? It would be just like pissing money into a bucket.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I sat through the entire Mandate programme waiting to hear about yesterday's virtual government Tynwald sitting - in particular the question asked by Julie Edge MHK about the latest situation concerning COVID-19 testing on and off Island.  I was sure it would be reported as social media has been gull of it for that last few days - especially by Manx Radio itself.

Not.

A.

Peep.

I always bristled when I heard the phrase 'The government's mouthpiece' but today I can see where it came from.

Are we now being directed in what we can, and cannot hear in order to shape opinion and stifle debate?

Sorry Rox, it may not have been on Mandate but the entire sitting was broadcast live and within 18 minutes of the Tynwald sitting starting they had uploaded a piece on the story including a clip from HQ https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/world-class-genomics-support-cant-be-replicated-on-island-says-cm/

As I said in the other thread, Rachel's services aren't going to be used and that's the end of it. Also Julie Edge's questioning was awful. A 5 year old would've done a better job.

22 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

If we've got many struggling with mental health by now, that will shove them right over the edge.

I only listen from mid-day to 1pm these days but I do like Phil Gawne. When is he on these days?

23 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

If that's going to be the 'sound of your life'...yes, I agree.

Edited by Twitch

I agree that pleasant as Andy Wint is, he too often appears willing to counter with answers like ' well I suppose they are doing their best '  ......... which tends to close down the issue without further delving and leaves the contributor no further forward.

Bring back Stu Peters ........ as we need investigative questioning minds to open up debates and try to improve things. 

WHAT UK RADIO STATION WOULD NOT EXPLOIT THE QUALITIES OF SUCH A CHARACTER

........... ONLY in the Isle of Man

Because we can .......... 😥😢😭

Edited by Overoptimistic