Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

5 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I sat through the entire Mandate programme waiting to hear about yesterday's virtual government Tynwald sitting - in particular the question asked by Julie Edge MHK about the latest situation concerning COVID-19 testing on and off Island.  I was sure it would be reported as social media has been gull of it for that last few days - especially by Manx Radio itself.

Not.

A.

Peep.

I always bristled when I heard the phrase 'The government's mouthpiece' but today I can see where it came from.

Are we now being directed in what we can, and cannot hear in order to shape opinion and stifle debate?

And not a peep you will continue to get.

When Manx Radio had an hour of Morning Mandate Julie Edge would have been interviewed and there would have been follow ups etc. Morning Mandate has had some excellent presenters in its day. They've all died, disappeared or been shoved out. And yet Mossy has never had it so easy.

These days instead of Morning Mandate we get fed "Take That" and "LIttle Minx" and 'Ben's Bangers' and 'Where's Hartley Hiding' etc. This morning they had an on-air conversation about hair cuts in lockdown. That was about as intellectual as it got.

Which is all well and good and the kids are having fun, but I don't see why Manx Radio should suck over £1million per annum out of the taxpayer to do it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Which is all well and good and the kids are having fun, but I don't see why Manx Radio should suck over £1million per annum out of the taxpayer to do it.

It depends who are the taxpayers - I would suggest its the oldies nowadays.

@Stu Peters

Just caught the last few seconds of your mention on the Late Show of Manx Forums and this thread.

I like Manx Radio. Have done for 50 years. Buy £1million a year to keep so many 'DJs' going for what they do is not justified.

Putting it down to "not liking change" is just crass.

How about you ask such as Charles Guard what he reckons to 'new' Manx Radio?

I know what Roger Watterson would think were he alive. And David Callister. John Myers too.

And so do you.

• Like 3

Hah hah! Andy Wint getting a bollickin' from a caller to Mannin Line.

Andy Wint does tend to put his spin on everything, and always . . .always . . .changes the wording of every txt and email I have ever sent in, to the extent that the meaning and context is lost. I gave up months ago. Others have similarly complained.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Andy Wint does tend to put his spin on everything, and always . . .always . . .changes the wording of every txt and email I have ever sent in, to the extent that the meaning and context is lost. I gave up months ago. Others have similarly complained.

Bring back Stu. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Barlow said:

Which caller?  I sent a message to ask if they had got to the bottom of Mick and his vaccination,  I didn't hear a reply. 

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Which caller?  I sent a message to ask if they had got to the bottom of Mick and his vaccination,  I didn't hear a reply. 

It was a caller called Andy. He was saying Manx Radio had clipped a reply to questions by an MHK which put a spin on the matter.

Andy Wint often thinks he is being smart and clever by going silent and forcing the caller to reply in the awkwardness of the silence. It's a tactic that backfired big time today because he got out silenced - the caller not only went quiet, he did one.

20210122 Andy Wint caller 01.mp3

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2021 at 10:37 PM, Barlow said:

@Stu Peters

Just caught the last few seconds of your mention on the Late Show of Manx Forums and this thread.

I like Manx Radio. Have done for 50 years. Buy £1million a year to keep so many 'DJs' going for what they do is not justified.

Putting it down to "not liking change" is just crass.

How about you ask such as Charles Guard what he reckons to 'new' Manx Radio?

Charles Guard is a Director of Radio Manx Ltd, so he’s probably signed off all the changes you refer to!!

10 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Charles Guard is a Director of Radio Manx Ltd, so he’s probably signed off all the changes you refer to!!

Yes, I have been reminded of that. You are right of course.

And yet all those years ago he helped set up, and presented the excellent Morning Mandate programme, as did likes of David Callister, Roy MacMillan, Stu Peters, James Davis and many more.

I suppose we have to assume he is quite happy with how things are going with Manx Radio.

Edited by Barlow

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

It was a caller called Andy. He was saying Manx Radio had clipped a reply to questions by an MHK which put a spin on the matter.

Andy Wint often thinks he is being smart and clever by going silent and forcing the caller to reply in the awkwardness of the silence. It's a tactic that backfired big time today because he got out silenced - the caller not only went quiet, he did one.

20210122 Andy Wint caller 01.mp3 1.35 MB · 10 downloads

I can remember one previous occasion. It was @ 20 years ago when the debate raging about the siting of the new prison was red hot. A caller rang the ML stating that in his opinion it would be cheaper to just build a wall around Pully.

Andy W's response was  "Where's your evidence, where's your proof?!!"

Caller however was prepared and had a list of recent convictions and addresses from reports in the local papers......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Andy Wint often seems to revel in making a bit of a fool of some of his callers. Nice when it backfires.

Edited by Barlow

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

20210122 Andy Wint caller 01.mp3 1.35 MB · 15 downloads

The caller had as much clout as you or I on here using false names. Andy Wint ( I am no fan) won that exchange.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

The caller had as much clout as you or I on here using false names. Andy Wint ( I am no fan) won that exchange.

I think that is my point.

Every caller, Andy Wint has to display his knowledge and smartness and how much he knows about the Isle of Man and stuff. The guy did right to call off (although there is always the chance the producer cut him off?) I'd call it a draw. He made his point and managed to leave before Andy Wint tried to make a fool of him, which he is very good at when a caller isn't compliant and to his liking.

14 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I think that is my point.

Every caller, Andy Wint has to display his knowledge and smartness and how much he knows about the Isle of Man and stuff. The guy did right to call off (although there is always the chance the producer cut him off?) I'd call it a draw. He made his point and managed to leave before Andy Wint tried to make a fool of him, which he is very good at when a caller isn't compliant and to his liking.

I tend to agree as Andy Wint does come across as patronising and condescending, but having said that, can hold his own on many subjects, as he is very knowledgable on so many things. It will take someone smarter than this fella today, to out smart AW. 
I was pissed off when he was given SP’s slot, but having seen how much Stu enjoys his late night show, it was a good move and suited both hosts.

I really enjoy the late show, with mostly sensible text message senders into the show and not many snowflakes taking offense . I wish them both well.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Thanks 1