Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

12 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I think that is my point.

Every caller, Andy Wint has to display his knowledge and smartness and how much he knows about the Isle of Man and stuff. The guy did right to call off (although there is always the chance the producer cut him off?) I'd call it a draw. He made his point and managed to leave before Andy Wint tried to make a fool of him, which he is very good at when a caller isn't compliant and to his liking.

Andy Wint is very poorly informed for a current affairs presenter.  Earlier this week someone was complaining about  an IOMG ad which was from the department of people who are cleverer than us.  He said he would have to look into it only to be told it was a binlid  jingle.

Just about every show there is something that he has to check even if it is about the most pressing news matter of the  moment and despite presenting the evening news round up. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Andy Wint is very poorly informed for a current affairs presenter.  Earlier this week someone was complaining about  an IOMG ad which was from the department of people who are cleverer than us.  He said he would have to look into it only to be told it was a binlid  jingle.

Just about every show there is something that he has to check even if it is about the most pressing news matter of the  moment and despite presenting the evening news round up. 

Don’t agree, sorry. He is often polite to idiots, by saying, “ I will look into it” instead of just dismissing the idiocy .

Bit like Fawlty dismissing Sybil.👍

Edited by dilligaf

2 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Written answers from Tynwald this month show an annual IOMG media spend approaching £1m per annum

The figures presumably exclude direct subsidy of the national broadcaster

These figures were read out further to an email from listener Eric on Stu Peters' Late Show to make a point. But they don't paint the true picture.

It states in the answer:

"It should be noted that these figures exclude Manx Radio subvention payments and any Manx Radio Minor Capital Works expenditure."

Edited by Barlow

IIRC, the spend with IoM Newspapers is far, far less than it was 10+ years ago. It used to be close on £500k pa with the newspapers alone. There used to be whole pages of Govt. Notices and Govt. job adverts at that time in all three weekly papers, it was Govt's main means of communication with the masses.

The spend was reduced as part of the "savings" following VAT reduction. Some would say that following the cutback, IoM Newspaper's journalists became a little more critical of Govt. too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Twitch said:

Most of the costs would appear to be public notices in IOM Newspapers publications. 

Is this really necessary now that we're about 25 years into the internet age?

It's often difficult enough to find online info on gov.im when you know where to look, so I suspect a lot of people still get the information straight from the paper.  And like most people who are Very Online (or you wouldn't be here), you may overestimate how much many of the people use their internet access.

1 hour ago, Twitch said:

Most of the costs would appear to be public notices in IOM Newspapers publications. 

Is this really necessary now that we're about 25 years into the internet age?

I think there's a legal requirement for government notices to be published in the press? I can't see that changing much very soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I think there's a legal requirement for government notices to be published in the press? I can't see that changing much very soon.

You are right, they are often a part of a legal process.   But often the cost is included in the government fee to whoever require the process, so it would be useful to know if those figures are net after the fee charged or gross.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

You are right, they are often a part of a legal process.   But often the cost is included in the government fee to whoever require the process, so it would be useful to know if those figures are net after the fee charged or gross.

Yes, and I don't think there would be much change from a grand for some of those full page ads, that's if they get a discount? When you look at the front cover 4 page jobs in the Courier it's easy to see how it stacks up.