Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

11 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It's clearly been about an average of 5 people for the last few years. It's taken active moderation to underline what was obvious.

Most worryingly if that's all MF can muster, it might also be indicative of the amount of interest in local politics? Which itself might be a pointer as to why we are where we are?

• Like 1

Excellent Mannin Line today. Chris Williams stood in for Roger Watterson. One of the first callers was saying how the Manx Language should be allowed to fade away.

He made some good points, especially regarding the Costain's Manx Radio advert, which I find embarrassing too.

Some other good callers too (just doing a Listen Again), a bit like Manx Forums for the airwaves.

Edited by Craig King

5 hours ago, Craig King said:

Excellent Mannin Line today. Chris Williams stood in for Roger Watterson. One of the first callers was saying how the Manx Language should be allowed to fade away.

He made some good points, especially regarding the Costain's Manx Radio advert, which I find embarrassing too.

Some other good callers too (just doing a Listen Again), a bit like Manx Forums for the airwaves.

The advert for Costain's is not in Manx though, is it.? It is spoken in English with a local accent. Simple as that. ( and probably the caller too )

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Craig King said:

Perhaps the enhanced programme was as a consequence of Mr. Cliché-Tedium Watterson's absence. Manx Radio's patent cure for insomnia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parrot said:

The advert for Costain's is not in Manx though, is it.? It is spoken in English with a local accent. Simple as that. ( and probably the caller too )

I always assumed it was spoken by someone that works there, maybe even a 'costain'?     the advert for the home of rest for old horses a few years back was voiced by the woman that now runs the place.   the embarrassing adverts are the blatant bullshit ones like there's never been a better time to switch to gas or something like,  total lies from a consumer point of view.  I do feel that the language was rekindled  by nationalists who just wanted to be able to hold conversations to exclude English speakers  like was the case and probably still is in parts of wales where the locals that were speaking English start speaking welsh when an English person speaks in a the pub.  that said latin is still taught at some schools ( king bills )  handy i guess if you want to finish the times crossword or become a botanist.

Edited by WTF

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

I always assumed it was spoken by someone that works there, maybe even a 'costain'?     the advert for the home of rest for old horses a few years back was voiced by the woman that now runs the place.   the embarrassing adverts are the blatant bullshit ones like there's never been a better time to switch to gas or something like,  total lies from a consumer point of view.

I think it is a staff member, but not a Costain.

Can't remember his name, Dave, Charlie, ? That is the way he talks all the time, so I am pretty sure he is the one voicing the ad.

1 hour ago, WTF said:

I always assumed it was spoken by someone that works there, maybe even a 'costain'?     the advert for the home of rest for old horses a few years back was voiced by the woman that now runs the place.   the embarrassing adverts are the blatant bullshit ones like there's never been a better time to switch to gas or something like,  total lies from a consumer point of view.  I do feel that the language was rekindled  by nationalists who just wanted to be able to hold conversations to exclude English speakers  like was the case and probably still is in parts of wales where the locals that were speaking English start speaking welsh when an English person speaks in a the pub.  that said latin is still taught at some schools ( king bills )  handy i guess if you want to finish the times crossword or become a botanist.

A couple of years ago I was making my way across north Wales by train. I walked into a waiting room in Llandudno Junction where a group of locals were talking amongst themselves in English; as soon as I sat down and was obviously there to stay for a while, they switched to Welsh.

Doubtless there's still a few over here who would aspire to the same?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

1 hour ago, Parrot said:

I think it is a staff member, but not a Costain.

Can't remember his name, Dave, Charlie, ? That is the way he talks all the time, so I am pretty sure he is the one voicing the ad.

No. The Manx Radio advert is spoken by the greatest living Manxmen, in the world, ever, John 'Dog' dog dog Callister. I know that because he came on straight away to tell everybody. And that is how he speaks all the time he says. And that is true Manx.

And as Chris Williams said, he is the Manx Bard - Official.

Well as far as I am concerned the advert is like a Gaiety Theatre Isle of Man fringe Young Farmers pantomime act of a yokel Manx Accent, wth an over-abundance of 'Yessirs' and plenty of 'Fellas' (a recent addition to the 'Manx' vocabulary btw).

By chris' yessa, this Islan' is gettin' desperate for it's identity by the minute. Fella'.

Edited by Craig King

Yes, but hardly vile and disgusting.  That contributor sounded like he had just got back from a disappointing night out. Sadly, he had nothing rational to say and, despite his best efforts, did more damage to the Manx identity than most who were despatched at Hango Hill.

• Like 5

There can be a "professional Manxman" accent, rather like the Monty Phython's Yorkshiremen and Harry Enfield's scousers it can be a caricature. 

I applaud the efforts to revive and preserve the Manx Language. It informs us of where we've come from, and where we are. It gives voice to the songs of forebears and allows us to understand the place names around us. 

• Like 3