Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

I suspect that the MD at Manx Radio (ex-BFBS and also RAFVR) has used his contacts to get the Red Arrows to display here, and pulled together funding from private sponsors. If that is true, it's a damn sight more than IOMG is doing, will cost the taxpayer bugger all and MR should be congratulated rather than scorned by default.

There is government money involved from the events fund. It’s even in their own adverts for the event.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's partly because Robertshaw isn't standing in the election.  They have to be very careful about how much exposure they give candidates or possible candidates.  There's only four MHKs standing down and Skelly now has to be neutral as President and Quayle is sulking because MR were big meanies to him, so there!  So expect a lot of Robertshaw in the next few weeks.

The absence of stuttering, script mangling dunce Quayle from the airwaves is a most welcome relief however. The real illustration of what a trial it was listening to his toe-curlingly awful presentation is the beauty of the silence.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

There is government money involved from the events fund. It’s even in their own adverts for the event.

I think we should  know how much the Red Arrows performances are going to cost , weather Manx radio or Government are paying ,particularly  when we cant find money for children's  meals  or fund a hospital waiting list initative  I bet the cost is significant , 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As regards Manx Radio 'Bringing the Red Arrows' to the Isle of Man this is fairly standard practice for a radio station to receive recognition for an event in return for promoting it and is something that we did many times during my tenure as Business Director.  The fact that the current MD has links with the Red Arrows and has been able to facilitate the The Red Arrows including the Isle of Man in it's 2021 schedule should be applauded as should the previous Managing Directors exploitation of his links with the BBC. The funding of the event is clear from both the Domestic Event Fund (one can see how this operates by clicking on the logo on manxradio.com) and IFGL one of the Islands leading investment businesses making up the rest.  The way sponsorship works is that the key sponsors, in this case, DEF / IFGL put the money up and Manx Radio is then used as the media partner promoting both the event and the sponsors so everyone wins.  DEF get the concept of thier offer out into the public domain and help create more events regenerating the Island after the last 2 miserable years, IFGL recieve more business helping them expand and employ more people on Island and the public get to know about the event, attend and spend more money locally. This is a 'text book' case of 'joining the dots' to make more of an event in everybodies interests. It wont impact on any of the other services that the Government is developing as it comes form an allotted budget specifcally set up for this type of opportunity.  This is exactly the type of thing that Manx Radio as the National Broadcaster should be used for and I for one am glad and impressed to see that they are working in harness with the Isle of Man Government and the private sector  to make it happen.  Go and enjoy the event and while you are here spend a couple of bob in Douglas and support the local retailers.

Edited by Parsley the Lion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Parsley the Lion said:

The fact that the current MD has links with the Red Arrows and has been able to facilitate the The Red Arrows including the Isle of Man in it's 2021 schedule should be applauded as should the previous Managing Directors exploitation of his links with the BBC. 

The days of "having links" kind of fizzled out with the advance of the internet.

Anyone can contact them, even if they only have Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/royalairforceredarrows/

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

No it did not, who you know makes many things happen that otherwise would not

Well actually, yes it did, and you know it.

So in this case someone 'knows' The Red Arrows. What difference is that going to make? It's almost like someone bragging about it. 

Red Arrows have been coming to the Isle of Man for decades. Some chap who was once in the RAF Reserves or DJ'd for the Forces/Hospita radio or whatever is hardly going to sway anything.

Edited by Barlow

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

Well actually, yes it did, and you know it.

So in this case someone 'knows' The Red Arrows. What difference is that going to make? It's almost like someone bragging about it. 

Red Arrows have been coming to the Isle of Man for decades. Some chap who was once in the RAF Reserves or DJ'd for the Forces/Hospita radio or whatever is hardly going to sway anything.

You are stupid aren't you  ? , obviously you do not "know" anyone hence the remark. You would be surprised how many doors can be opened by just mentioning your name to some people, obviously not your name though

10 hours ago, Parsley the Lion said:

As regards Manx Radio 'Bringing the Red Arrows' to the Isle of Man this is fairly standard practice for a radio station to receive recognition for an event in return for promoting it and is something that we did many times during my tenure as Business Director.  The fact that the current MD has links with the Red Arrows and has been able to facilitate the The Red Arrows including the Isle of Man in it's 2021 schedule should be applauded as should the previous Managing Directors exploitation of his links with the BBC. The funding of the event is clear from both the Domestic Event Fund (one can see how this operates by clicking on the logo on manxradio.com) and IFGL one of the Islands leading investment businesses making up the rest.  The way sponsorship works is that the key sponsors, in this case, DEF / IFGL put the money up and Manx Radio is then used as the media partner promoting both the event and the sponsors so everyone wins.  DEF get the concept of thier offer out into the public domain and help create more events regenerating the Island after the last 2 miserable years, IFGL recieve more business helping them expand and employ more people on Island and the public get to know about the event, attend and spend more money locally. This is a 'text book' case of 'joining the dots' to make more of an event in everybodies interests. It wont impact on any of the other services that the Government is developing as it comes form an allotted budget specifcally set up for this type of opportunity.  This is exactly the type of thing that Manx Radio as the National Broadcaster should be used for and I for one am glad and impressed to see that they are working in harness with the Isle of Man Government and the private sector  to make it happen.  Go and enjoy the event and while you are here spend a couple of bob in Douglas and support the local retailers.

Well I get all this and am glad the Red Arrows are coming.

But for Manx Radio to claim they are “ bringing the Red Arrows to the Isle of Man” is disingenuous at best, and a downright lie at worst.

However it doesn’t really matter in the scheme of things.

Could they “ bring” The Rolling Stones to the Isle of  Man? That would be better.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

You are stupid aren't you. Obviously you do not "know" anyone hence the remark. You would be surprised how many doors can be opened by just mentioning your name to some people, obviously not your name though...

Man approaches door, "Barlow said to mention his name."

Man at the door, "Call the police someone."

😃

On 8/16/2021 at 10:34 PM, Omobono said:

I think we should  know how much the Red Arrows performances are going to cost , weather Manx radio or Government are paying ,particularly  when we cant find money for children's  meals  or fund a hospital waiting list initative  I bet the cost is significant , 

I whether!

56 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

You are stupid aren't you  ? , obviously you do not "know" anyone hence the remark. You would be surprised how many doors can be opened by just mentioning your name to some people, obviously not your name though

Your buddies at Manx Radio will have no more sway in this respect than any senior Isle of Man Government civil servant working in tourism. None whatsoever. Where were these wondrously connected people when the Red Arrows were popping over many times around 30 years ago?

Sounds to me like Manx Radio are trying to justify the huge subvention, and the 'Business Director' is keeping his hand in.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Your buddies at Manx Radio will have no more sway in this respect than any senior Isle of Man Government civil servant working in tourism. None whatsoever. Where were these wondrously connected people when the Red Arrows were popping over many times around 30 years ago?

Sounds to me like Manx Radio are trying to justify the huge subvention, and the 'Business Director' is keeping his hand in.

I do not know anyone at Manx Radio now, have been interviewed by them a few times though in the past