Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

8 minutes ago, Darkness Incarnate said:

Understandable, but unless my memory fails me was he not cleared of any wrongdoing by the independent regulator? 

Seems like the woke patrol just kicked up a bit off a fuss because he's an older white gentlemen and that's the kind they target. 

He was cleared but I presume the question was whether he broke a regulatory code. Based on views expressed by various broadcasters who are at both extremes there is a considerable amount of freedom as to what is allowable.  Nigel Farage is viewed by many to be fairly objectionable in his views, far more than SP, but he is a regular broadcaster. 

As Declan says SP is, in my view, a person very much stuck in his generation and has not really evolved as times have changed and never really was suitable as a host of an opinion based programme as he did not, in my view, have the skills for it. I was not in favour of SP being hauled over the coals by Manx Radio for his broadcasting that evening as they put him in the slot and presumably set the brief of the program. If he had been broadcasting on a private radio station then some people might have been unhappy with what was broadcaster but I don't think it would been a big issue. Presenting on what is meant to be an independent national radio station then, in my view, you are held to a higher count.

Many on here don't like Andy Wint but, in my view, he is or was generally far better at trying to balance a programme and put alternative views against both sides of an argument. SP was more than happy to agree with a caller just because he supported their view, whether it held any validity, rather than put a counter point. I am not sure that "i agree with that" really has much place in the vocabulary of the presenter in an opinion based show. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

He was cleared but I presume the question was whether he broke a regulatory code. Based on views expressed by various broadcasters who are at both extremes there is a considerable amount of freedom as to what is allowable.  Nigel Farage is viewed by many to be fairly objectionable in his views, far more than SP, but he is a regular broadcaster. 

As Declan says SP is, in my view, a person very much stuck in his generation and has not really evolved as times have changed and never really was suitable as a host of an opinion based programme as he did not, in my view, have the skills for it. I was not in favour of SP being hauled over the coals by Manx Radio for his broadcasting that evening as they put him in the slot and presumably set the brief of the program. If he had been broadcasting on a private radio station then some people might have been unhappy with what was broadcaster but I don't think it would been a big issue. Presenting on what is meant to be an independent national radio station then, in my view, you are held to a higher count.

Many on here don't like Andy Wint but, in my view, he is or was generally far better at trying to balance a programme and put alternative views against both sides of an argument. SP was more than happy to agree with a caller just because he supported their view, whether it held any validity, rather than put a counter point. I am not sure that "i agree with that" really has much place in the vocabulary of the presenter in an opinion based show. 

Wint is an egotistical prat. I never listen to him now.

Stu was a far better presenter on Talking Heads.  All my Manx Radio listening friends are of the same opinion.  Yes we are oldies!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Completely agree with the Andy Wint comment.

Fantastic presenter and I do not understand the views of people on here as to why they dislike him so heavily.

1 hour ago, Darkness Incarnate said:

Completely agree with the Andy Wint comment.

Fantastic presenter and I do not understand the views of people on here as to why they dislike him so heavily.

Think a lot of people on here will begin to dislike you and some of your comments. 
Just saying like. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, forestboy said:

Think a lot of people on here will begin to dislike you and some of your comments. 
Just saying like. 

Oh christ, you're joking? 

Manx Forums not liking me? 'kiiiiinnnn ell. 

As long as @Nom de plume likes me, I will be okay. 

58 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Contrasting headlines and stories 

Last year

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/tribute-to-massive-star-clive-mcneil/

Today

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-58280147

Very sad it seems very odd that a mental well being test only seems to have consisted of somebody asking you if you were going to kill yourself and you jokingly saying “no”. 

That is how mental health services here assess suicide risk, believe me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lost Login said:

SP comes across to me as reasonably well meaning but rooted in the past. He got a bit upset when in the election thread he was accused of being a bigot and racist. Understandably, as most people would not like to be thought of in that manner and I am sure that SP genuinely believes he is not. However I expect, and it comes across in his posts and on the radio. that his definition of what racism is fairly old and it is no longer the classical definition of disliking another person due to the colour of their skin. I am not saying that SP is on a par with the Alf Garnett character or the likes of Bernard Manning who would not have thought themselves as racist but I just think he lags a bit behind the times in his understanding of issues at present.

Or maybe in these times, the definition of racism has become so skewed and nuanced as to almost become meaninglessness. 

The “old” definition of racism as you describe it is a good starting point and one which should be built upon. Unfortunately it seems to have lost its way, with people who haven’t got a racist bone in their body being labellled as such.