Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

4 hours ago, Barlow said:

Actually a good point. And you will note that they don't just go to Douglas during their display and as well as covering other parts of the Island they take off from Blackpool and do a bit of a 'circuit'. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that it won't take too many 'displays' to cover the whole of the UK.

Coincidence?

I don't think so.

They didn't cover my part of the island

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

They didn't cover my part of the island

Maybe not for doing loop-de-loops and all that, but they would have been near enough for Brownian movement dissipation of the exhaust product (aka chemtrails, but that term is reserved for nutcase conspiracy theorists)

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

You already get far too much in Ramsey. Pier, marina, courthouse, sunshine...

Ramsey has had zero attraction since they closed The Joke Shop:

https://www.facebook.com/RamseyJokeShop/photos/a.858083477725966/858094131058234/

And maybe the Ramsey Branch of Jim Mitchell's Music Box

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

Ramsey has had zero attraction since they closed The Joke Shop:

https://www.facebook.com/RamseyJokeShop/photos/a.858083477725966/858094131058234/

And maybe the Ramsey Branch of Jim Mitchell's Music Box

Not true. You can spend many a pleasant afternoon mooching around Fentons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Not true. You can spend many a pleasant afternoon mooching around Fentons.

27 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Feltons. Great shop. There are some decent shops in Ramsey. Always has been. A pleasant shopping experience and plenty of cafes for lunch or a brew. 

You are both right. Sorry I forgot about Felton's. An excellent spot. 

I remember reading of a drunk lad coming out of Nightlife and smashing one of the windows. Those curved glass windows will have cost him a fortune to replace. I know of this because I was in The Central in Douglas when a 17 year-old lad put the pool table through the corner window (he up-ended it, not the whole thing through the window, but still some feat all the same).

ps You will note I did not make the usual cheap jibe about the propensity for charity shops in Ramsey (I bought a perfect condition Berghaus raincoat for £2 in one once)

11 hours ago, Barlow said:

The Red Arrows will provide a much needed exciting interlude into what has been a relatively mundane 18 months for many people on the Island.

The weather is fantastic and it will be a great afternoon. 

Rock On the Red Arrows

Could I just add, that judging by some of the many, many excellent and professional quality photos on Facebook along with the comments and 'likes', a helluva lot of people got a lot of pleasure from the Red Arrows this afternoon. 

An excellent and memorable afternoon was had. You can't really put a price on that.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Barlow said:

You are both right. Sorry I forgot about Felton's. An excellent spot. 

I remember reading of a drunk lad coming out of Nightlife and smashing one of the windows. Those curved glass windows will have cost him a fortune to replace. I know of this because I was in The Central in Douglas when a 17 year-old lad put the pool table through the corner window (he up-ended it, not the whole thing through the window, but still some feat all the same).

ps You will note I did not make the usual cheap jibe about the propensity for charity shops in Ramsey (I bought a perfect condition Berghaus raincoat for £2 in one once)

The curved window is no longer curved.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, finlo said:

The curved window is no longer curved.

I think at first the smashed window was replaced flat but eventually replaced curved? (The corner windows)

From Google: 

1115597292_Feltons01.thumb.jpg.6303ac5b68c99fccbad777b0a5c1fcf7.jpg

For reference, here's the Central window. It looked a bit surreal with a pool table sticking out of it but it was rather artistic in a way and beautifully summed up the pub in its latter years.

I once saw a couple of women fighting in there and one of them just picked up a pool ball and clocked the other with it in her hand. Game over.

1311661804_CentralDG01.thumb.jpg.96cb9ed1be47f7c91426f483f2050d16.jpg

Edited by Barlow

13 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I think at first the smashed window was replaced flat but eventually replaced curved? (The corner windows)

From Google: 

1115597292_Feltons01.thumb.jpg.6303ac5b68c99fccbad777b0a5c1fcf7.jpg

For reference, here's the Central window. It looked a bit surreal with a pool table sticking out of it but it was rather artistic in a way and beautifully summed up the pub in its latter years.

I once saw a couple of women fighting in there and one of them just picked up a pool ball and clocked the other with it in her hand. Game over.

1311661804_CentralDG01.thumb.jpg.96cb9ed1be47f7c91426f483f2050d16.jpg

See above the green car the window is now like a thrupenny bit.

• Thanks 1