Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

On 10/27/2021 at 10:43 AM, hissingsid said:

I think Andy Wint is great Beth was ok last week but not a patch on Andy.

Really? He is never prepared, applies no thought to callers' question and renders it a public information forum for the GMP to answer the questions.  FFS someone called today to ask what was the batch number on either his vax or LFT, reading out all the numbers including the lot number.

While we are on MR, who is the woman who seems to be the most used voice artist for ads?  She draws out the last syllable of the last word on each sentence and mispronounces local place names, like Leeeezair.  

The sports crew are no better calling the pitch in Ramsey Moorag Park, not Moorack Park.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Anyone said:

I was hoping for some progressive politicians being elected , I don’t think Mr Peters is that but more of a Nick Ferrari type. But maybe that is you as well.

Feel the hate...

On the lack of a departmental position for Stu Peters. If I were Alf I wouldn't have considered him either. In practice, some of the newbies, including SP are political novices in the house and lack experience in the proceedings at all levels. There's a learning period which can't happen overnight.

You're spinning bitterly. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

the best way for any MHK to learn the ropes  is to involve themselves in the actual work of the departments , otherwise they will never understand the workings of government ,and the ministers will blind them with science and run rings around them ,

Nonsense.

You'll notice how grown up I am these days not to use my initial choice of word.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another gem from the MR News team. This time from the Afternoon Deputy News Editor:                                                                                                                                                                  Their boat was left at anchor but broke free and was swept across the rock before being blown back into the water where she sunk.

Should be sank, surely?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KERED said:

Another gem from the MR News team. This time from the Afternoon Deputy News Editor:                                                                                                                                                                  Their boat was left at anchor but broke free and was swept across the rock before being blown back into the water where she sunk.

Should be sank, surely?

Yes, but they copied and pasted the coastguard announcement, including the mistake, very carefully! Proper journalism, that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Little known story follows; 

after leaving the police, and Marian left MR, a respected by all member of staff up there contacted me asking if I’d be applying for the editor job. Hadn’t even considered it TBH but after asking why they thought I’d be a good fit and receiving a pretty solid Endorsement I thought I would. 

Completed the application. Had it reviewed by 2 other staff members past and present at MR, plus a respected UK news editor who agreed to act as a referee. Application generally reviewed as ‘first class’. 

Not even an interview. An exchange of views with Anthony Pugh followed; “no news room experience”. I pointed out neither did George Osborne but that didn’t stop his appointment at the London Evening Standard. It wasn’t even an area that was asked to be evidenced on the application form. 

And that, folks, was the end of my career in journalism an the opportunity to shine the light where it was needed.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, KERED said:

Should be sank, surely?

Have they got a English GCSE Grade A-C?