Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

Little known story follows; 

after leaving the police, and Marian left MR, a respected by all member of staff up there contacted me asking if I’d be applying for the editor job. Hadn’t even considered it TBH but after asking why they thought I’d be a good fit and receiving a pretty solid Endorsement I thought I would. 

Completed the application. Had it reviewed by 2 other staff members past and present at MR, plus a respected UK news editor who agreed to act as a referee. Application generally reviewed as ‘first class’. 

Not even an interview. An exchange of views with Anthony Pugh followed; “no news room experience”. I pointed out neither did George Osborne but that didn’t stop his appointment at the London Evening Standard. It wasn’t even an area that was asked to be evidenced on the application form. 

And that, folks, was the end of my career in journalism an the opportunity to shine the light where it was needed.

I bet there are people in the Police Service with no experience of Policing, or catching criminals. At least you have.

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m not sure what point you’re making on the basis that you had absolutely no qualifications or relevant experience for the role of news editor at all. 

He may not have direct experience but he does have many transferable skills. Sometimes a curveball or different candidate may be the right fit. 

Edited by 2112

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I bet there are people in the Police Service with no experience of Policing, or catching criminals. At least you have.

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m not sure what point you’re making on the basis that you had absolutely no qualifications or relevant experience for the role of news editor at all. 

Just now, Gladys said:

To journalism? 

Ten years in the role of PR and media officer for Isle of Man police. Member of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations, qualified by examination.

can spell, and string a coherent sentence together. 

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

So can I but I won’t get an invite to edit the Times any day soon. Honestly your general sense of entitlement is astronomical. None of that experience is relevant for a job editing a news desk.

Don’t forget, someone up there asked me. I didnt go looking for it.

Watching Catch and Kill on Sky.  Its about the media pursuit of Weinstein and how the media (and the Weinstein legal team) stifled many journalists in their attempts to publicise what he was doing.

The New York Times eventually took the story and gave it to two sub-editors.  Their job was to fact-check every bit of the story.  Somehow, I don't see fact-checking as a major part of Manx journalistic editing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

But then again you didn’t get an interview after making an application so whoever invited you clearly just did the usual government grapevine “privilege club” thing of tipping you off that there was a £70k a year job going begging for the usual establishment types. 

Seventy grand?

you reckon?

its about half that. 

If you knew who asked me, you’d know that wasn’t the reason. 

32 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Seventy grand?

you reckon?

its about half that. 

If you knew who asked me, you’d know that wasn’t the reason. 

You are coming across as a bit Rachel Gloverish.

However if Manx Radio are paying their news editor £ 35k pa maybe it’s time to stop sniping at a bit of bad punctuation and minor spelling errors. You pay peanuts……….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You are coming across as a bit Rachel Gloverish.

However if Manx Radio are paying their news editor £ 35k pa maybe it’s time to stop sniping at a bit of bad punctuation and minor spelling errors. You pay peanuts……….

Lols. 

Yes, I only mentioned it as a bit of a yarn. I’ll get back to my doctorate. See you in six years.

A bit of a bah humbug, but I'm sick of Christmas adverts already. I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to hack much more, and this is just the start, another 7 weeks of it yet.

On a positive note, the lass doing @Stu Peters late evening slot is making it a not bad show to tune into.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Barlow said:

A bit of a bah humbug, but I'm sick of Christmas adverts already. I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to hack much more, and this is just the start, another 7 weeks of it yet.

On a positive note, the lass doing @Stu Peters late evening slot is making it a not bad show to tune into.

Good news, it's six weeks until Christmas. Then it'll be Easter. Again.

Manx Radio profit?  Let's cut next years subvention by that amount and start to cut back on constant Heritage railways advertising, and sponsorship of Saturday show and all the other sneaky ways the government subsidise Manx Radio from the public purse.

Lets wean them off the subvention or make them a strictly not for profit organistation. Tender out TT coverage along with other events and get value for money.

Alternatively, ring fence the TV license income from the IOM postcodes and use that to fund it. At the moment we get a few minutes a week on local TV news in return for tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds in license fee. Pro Rata that and keep 90% here. 

• Like 1