Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

3 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Manx Radio profit?  Let's cut next years subvention by that amount and start to cut back ...

Well there you have the classic situation. First rule of any Government Department or quaisi government organisation such as Manx Radio is on no account produce a surplus. Use it or lose it.

Hence - to use a well known case, but there are of course many - Phil Gawne's department decides to resurface the Sloc otherwise they will not only lose the surplus funds but have it cut from following years' budgets.

15 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Well there you have the classic situation. First rule of any Government Department or quaisi government organisation such as Manx Radio is on no account produce a surplus. Use it or lose it.

Hence - to use a well known case, but there are of course many - Phil Gawne's department decides to resurface the Sloc otherwise they will not only lose the surplus funds but have it cut from following years' budgets.

To be fair it’s not just public services that do this. 

55FD8954-C76C-4D5E-A6B9-8CB691E8C0F5.webp

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

To be fair it’s not just public services that do this. 

55FD8954-C76C-4D5E-A6B9-8CB691E8C0F5.webp

I have a few friends in government and they really can't (or probably don't want to) see this. Many years ago I spoke to someone about the dredger (Mannanin or black pig I think it was called). Apparently they put it up on Ramsey shipyard slipway to repaint every few years because they had enough in the budget for 50% of the paint they needed so they bought the paint over two years but then had to use it (or throw it away) to justify keeping the budget for the paint or they'd lose it.

Also end up in the ludicrous position of banning overtime for public sector workers because they've overrun the payroll budget so they need outside contractors to complete the works on time, only to then have a mad rush in March to spend whatever is left so they don't lose it next year. 

Also the same as maintenance budgets (for such things as statutory fire alarm testing) being diverted to 'improvements' that could never be justified by it's business case and certainly wouldn't get past the higher ups otherwise. Fortunately, that has been one of the things DoI did start to turnaround when they absorbed properties and began to do the real maintenance work. It is still ongoing.

Kate Beecroft, former MHK, wanted to introduce zero-based budgeting. It would mean producing fresh budget for what is actually needed rather than basing on the previous budget.

Kate Beecroft, is savvy in accounts. And she is brighter than the then Chief Minister, plus she is a erm, woman.

Her voce was as good as rubber-eared in Tynwald.

An appropriate time to re-post this Youtube, which I would like to suggest succinctly sums up the workings of Tynwald 

• Like 3

Barlow, have to agree came across the late show with Rhian Evans and she smokes it, she’s good a bit different to the usual giddy stuff during daytime, though I do like old George F. Also why does Dave Moore read the news like he’s commenting on the last lap of a close bike race? 

• Like 3

Kate Beecroft was useless, opposing everything and anything to the extent that when she did have a valid point everyone was so sick of her voice they just shut off.   She was the worst Health Minister ever and that takes some doing.   She ran a cleaning company that did very well out of Government contracts until it was pointed out to her that it was not on,clash of interest and all that. Savvy probably not the best way to describe that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How many employees does MR have….there seems to be someone different reading the news every day.    There are two or sometimes three people  on the breakfast show boring for Britain and mostly talking about themselves, their likes and dislikes.   After 9.30am it improves until 1.00pm and the afternoon show, which I cannot comment on because I have listened to it.  When Manx Radio first started it was pure Michael mouse with swap shop etc but at least it wasn’t costing over a million in subsidies.

• Like 3

On 11/6/2021 at 6:10 PM, Derek Flint said:

Little known story follows; 

after leaving the police, and Marian left MR, a respected by all member of staff up there contacted me asking if I’d be applying for the editor job. Hadn’t even considered it TBH but after asking why they thought I’d be a good fit and receiving a pretty solid Endorsement I thought I would. 

Completed the application. Had it reviewed by 2 other staff members past and present at MR, plus a respected UK news editor who agreed to act as a referee. Application generally reviewed as ‘first class’. 

Not even an interview. An exchange of views with Anthony Pugh followed; “no news room experience”. I pointed out neither did George Osborne but that didn’t stop his appointment at the London Evening Standard. It wasn’t even an area that was asked to be evidenced on the application form. 

And that, folks, was the end of my career in journalism an the opportunity to shine the light where it was needed.

Not that I’m a big fan of George Osborne but comparing him to you is bit of a stretch , unless of course you fancy the gig of chancellor. Think about what he had that perhaps did not.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Anyone said:

Not that I’m a big fan of George Osborne but comparing him to you is bit of a stretch , unless of course you fancy the gig of chancellor. Think about what he had that perhaps did not.

Maybe Derek also likes a bit of coke?

• Haha 1