Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

12 minutes ago, IOM said:

So I don’t travel on the mountain road can I choose not to fund that?  I have never thank goodness been in an ambulance can I choose not to fund that ? What utter nonsense there will always be things you don’t like or personally use it’s about being part of society! 

Nah, that's just silly. Manx Radio is a nice to have, not an essential. 

Roads and ambulances are an essential part of the fabric of society. Andy Wint isn't. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James Blonde said:

Nah, that's just silly. Manx Radio is a nice to have, not an essential. 

Roads and ambulances are an essential part of the fabric of society. Andy Wint isn't. 

Sorry that's just plain silly! There are a lot of people who rely on Manx radio to keep them informed and company throughout the day. Don't assume everyone is like you.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IOM said:

Sorry that's just plain silly! There are a lot of people who rely on Manx radio to keep them informed and company throughout the day. Don't assume everyone is like you.... 

It's not silly. There is no reason why the function of 'public service broadcaster' (or whatever it's called this week) can't be fulfilled by Energy FM, 3FM or others. 

The current set up is inefficient and a waste of valuable cash. 

You are Andy Wint and I claim my £5.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

It's not silly. There is no reason why the function of 'public service broadcaster' (or whatever it's called this week) can't be fulfilled by Energy FM, 3FM or others. 

The current set up is inefficient and a waste of valuable cash. 

You are Andy Wint and I claim my £5.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I have another opinion and that's my prerogative. I suspect I am not the only one with this view just as much as there will be others who agree with you. But if you are part of society then you accept sometimes there will be things you don't want that others do. 

• Like 1

At least Manx Radio perform some useful function for the money they get. I hear the governor was up there looking around the other day. Now there's a much bigger waste of money for someone who provides no useful function whatsoever. 

A governor is not even a "nice to have" , it's just a straight-up undemocratic waste of money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IOM said:

My point is you defined it as hospital radio and if you look at its output 24/7 its not. It provides the news for the island and serves the entire island. I bet you have never really listened to it to realise what they do. If you don't like it choose another station! 

The point is if we don’t like it we shouldn’t have to pay for it.

The amount of money they get is obscene.  If they tried to run it as an actual business they would be bust in six months.

Dont they get extra for the TT coverage over the stupid subsidy they already get?

Edited by Ramseyboi

2 hours ago, James Blonde said:

There is no reason why the function of 'public service broadcaster' (or whatever it's called this week) can't be fulfilled by Energy FM, 3FM or others. 

The very idea of broadcasting is out of date. People tuning in to whatever happens to be playing at them - like in the 1920s.

Broadcasting will be phased out. The sooner the better.

There are much better ways of delivering content.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IOM said:

So I don’t travel on the mountain road can I choose not to fund that?  I have never thank goodness been in an ambulance can I choose not to fund that ? What utter nonsense there will always be things you don’t like or personally use it’s about being part of society! 

Your two examples are things we need.

Man Radio absolutely is not.  It’s a massive waste of public money

4 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Your two examples are things we need.

Man Radio absolutely is not.  It’s a massive waste of public money

That’s your opinion there are plenty of others who would say having a broadcaster on the island providing local news and information is essential.

• Thanks 1