Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Rubbish.  Those businesses would just divert their advertising budget elsewhere.  The end user isn’t paying for the two stations that actually run without hundreds of thousands of taxpayer payouts

And how do you think the commercial radio companies 3fm and Energy finance themselves ? With advertising revenue and we all pay for it ! 

Just now, James Blonde said:

And that's absolutely fine. But the other 2 don't cost the taxpayer a penny. So why should your choice of radio? It should be a level playing field. 

I’m quite happy to pay my TV licence fee of about £12 a month for the BBC. I consider that good value. 
MR provides a different service to the other two

What did Reith say “ the BBC should educate, entertain and inform””

I don’t think 3fm and Energy do much of those. Maybe entertain if you’re into their type of music.

But they don’t provide the in depth guide to Manx Life that MR does  ( say with niche programmes on broadcasting Tynwald, sorry Tynpotwald , and a farming programme and Mannin Line , for examples)

The others could not do that on advertising revenue alone. It’s by no means perfect but I think we would all be poorer if it didn’t exist. 
A small price to pay I would suggest 

20 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Do try harder.

I'm trying a bit harder than you Stu P. Your timeline does not stand scrutiny!

You had your problems , MR had their financial problems, you were cast adrift, ypu came back as a freelancer, you got paid by the subsidy from the Govt.

I think it is you who has to 'try harder', especially in view of your current position?

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m quite happy to pay my TV licence fee of about £12 a month for the BBC. I consider that good value. 
MR provides a different service to the other two

What did Reith say “ the BBC should educate, entertain and inform””

I don’t think 3fm and Energy do much of those. Maybe entertain if you’re into their type of music.

But they don’t provide the in depth guide to Manx Life that MR does  ( say with niche programmes on broadcasting Tynwald, sorry Tynpotwald , and a farming programme and Mannin Line , for examples)

The others could not do that on advertising revenue alone. It’s by no means perfect but I think we would all be poorer if it didn’t exist. 
A small price to pay I would suggest 

Do their licenses allow them to do those things even if they wanted to?

Nope.  Manx Radio who recently objected to iom newspapers taking over 3FM have those things all exclusively kept to themselves.

40 minutes ago, pongo said:

It's not really free. That valuable spectrum space (TV, radio - terrestrial and satellite) could be sold off for very much more than is currently raised.

The money could be much better spent on fibre and 5G. And then there is the cost of the broadcasting networks themselves.

True but it's free at the point of use. In the car, at home, in the garden, on a job site with no mobile signal.

Don't get me wrong I love 4G and fibre and all that and often listen on streaming - music streaming services are ace, but it is more expensive from a users point of view. You can buy a radio for £15, you wouldn't get a month's internet access for that, and then there's your spotify subscription etc. I pay for home broadband, mobile broadband, Spotify etc now but I still listen to the radio in the car, when I'm working. It's just a lot easier sometimes.

MR aren't alone when it comes to grants either. How many millions have we paid MT to upgrade the fibre network despite the fact they'll be charging us through the nose to use it when it's finished.

Streaming is a lot more commercial, and that's notnecessarily a good thing for the users.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I'm trying a bit harder than you Stu P. Your timeline does not stand scrutiny!

You had your problems , MR had their financial problems, you were cast adrift, ypu came back as a freelancer, you got paid by the subsidy from the Govt.

I think it is you who has to 'try harder', especially in view of your current position?

Well that’s just silly.

Whether Stu got paid as an employee or a freelancer he still had to be paid. 
Or are you suggesting the subvention was given purely as a device to pay Stu?

5 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

That’s what I said

I think you are missing my point . The taxpayer ( government taxes ) do not pay for the commercial stations but you still pay a ‘ tax ‘  because when you buy anything from a company that advertises on 3fm or Energy that company will have baked in advertising costs to the price so however you cut it you pay for it one way or another . Nothing is free other than fresh air ! 

3 minutes ago, IOM said:

I think you are missing my point . The taxpayer ( government taxes ) do not pay for the commercial stations but you still pay a ‘ tax ‘  because when you buy anything from a company that advertises on 3fm or Energy that company will have baked in advertising costs to the price so however you cut it you pay for it one way or another . Nothing is free other than fresh air ! 

So you pay a “ tax” when you buy from a company that advertises through any medium?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IOM said:

They will spend their ad advertising  budget anyway.  If not on radio then on Sky, Facebook, Instagram or in the Courier (unlikely)

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

They will spend their ad advertising  budget anyway.  If not on radio then on Sky, Facebook, Instagram or in the Courier (unlikely)

Yes but how do they get an advertising budget in the first place ? By adding it to their cost of goods . For example if Coca Cola advertise on the radio the price you pay for it includes a ‘ fee ‘ that they have added themselves to pay for the advertising budget . So the customer pays that when they buy the Coca Cola . It’s ridiculous to think commercial radio and tv is free ! 

1 minute ago, IOM said:

Yes but how do they get an advertising budget in the first place ? By adding it to their cost of goods . For example if Coca Cola advertise on the radio the price you pay for it includes a ‘ fee ‘ that they have added themselves to pay for the advertising budget . So the customer pays that when they buy the Coca Cola . It’s ridiculous to think commercial radio and tv is free ! 

Well yes.  But they aren’t directly charging people who listen to the radio.

If they do then they are also charging people who listen to Manx Radio who also charge for advertising on top of their ludicrous government payout.