Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

3 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Well yes.  But they aren’t directly charging people who listen to the radio.

If they do then they are also charging people who listen to Manx Radio who also charge for advertising on top of their ludicrous government payout.

Advertising revenue can cover radio , TV , magazine , press, social media etc . But any service be it commercial or public is funded by people there is no such thing as a free lunch . You are right Manx radio is a mix of public and private money but as has been outlined above you will find it offers good value in comparison to other jurisdictions. 

2 minutes ago, IOM said:

Advertising revenue can cover radio , TV , magazine , press, social media etc . But any service be it commercial or public is funded by people there is no such thing as a free lunch . You are right Manx radio is a mix of public and private money but as has been outlined above you will find it offers good value in comparison to other jurisdictions. 

Good value?

I don’t listen to it but pay for it through my actual taxes and then according to you another tax every time I use a business who pay to advertise with them?

I think the majority of the people who pay for it, wouldn’t notice if it disappeared tomorrow.

On 11/6/2021 at 6:10 PM, Derek Flint said:

Little known story follows; 

after leaving the police, and Marian left MR, a respected by all member of staff up there contacted me asking if I’d be applying for the editor job. Hadn’t even considered it TBH but after asking why they thought I’d be a good fit and receiving a pretty solid Endorsement I thought I would. 

Completed the application. Had it reviewed by 2 other staff members past and present at MR, plus a respected UK news editor who agreed to act as a referee. Application generally reviewed as ‘first class’. 

Not even an interview. An exchange of views with Anthony Pugh followed; “no news room experience”. I pointed out neither did George Osborne but that didn’t stop his appointment at the London Evening Standard. It wasn’t even an area that was asked to be evidenced on the application form. 

And that, folks, was the end of my career in journalism an the opportunity to shine the light where it was needed.

On 11/6/2021 at 7:18 PM, Derek Flint said:

Lols. 

Yes, I only mentioned it as a bit of a yarn. I’ll get back to my doctorate. See you in six years.

6 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It is a bit of a stretch. I’m a professionally qualified member of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations. He isnt.

But I guess he has more jobs than you , can’t recall the last count. Or I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Good value?

I don’t listen to it but pay for it through my actual taxes and then according to you another tax every time I use a business who pay to advertise with them?

I think the majority of the people who pay for it, wouldn’t notice if it disappeared tomorrow.

Well that’s your opinion I respect that I have a different view . My point stands even if it went and you were left with 3fm etc you would still be paying for them even if you did not want them they are not free ! Unless everything moves to a subscription service which is unlikely 

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Strictly speaking, Stu's 'Skin in the Game' ended when He lost his stafff job with MR. However, he continued on a freelance basis, so maybe that is still some 'skin'?

I don't know if Stu P still freelances for MR but that would raise some questions............ Should he get a Govt wage and a subsidised fee from MR?

This is not personal to Stu P, there may be others who are in this position because of the unique position of receiving a Govt subsidy.

He doesn't still freelance, that is what he said.  He was a full time employee until 2012, then became freelance and then resigned in the summer.  Not sure what is hard to understand there really. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a lot of affection for Manx Radio.

I worked at 3FM from 2006 to 2008 and while new to the island I found it useful to listen to Manx Radio to learn about life on the Isle of Man.

Back then, @Stu Peters presented Mandate 7:30-8:30am and this was perfectly timed for my daily journey to Douglas each morning. I needed to learn a lot and quickly - Manx Radio and particularly Mandate were helpful. I’d also pick up the old 5:30pm Mandate on the journey home.

We had a spot of bother with parking in Peel back then, and the people of Peel managed to get a bit of coverage on Manx Radio. My wife was interviewed briefly and this was featured on Mandate.

In the absence of BBC local radio, Manx Radio does a great job. If you’ve heard BBC local radio recently, you’ll realise that it perhaps isn’t as good as it once was. TV news coverage for the Isle of Man has always been quite limited, which makes Manx Radio even more useful.

3FM and Energy are local but very different to Manx Radio - both are successful at what they do. The commercial local radio sector in the UK has taken a path over the last 15 years or so to become even less local. Many stations have rebranded, merged with others or closed, with buildings sold. 3FM and Energy are in a unique market and perform well. 

All three stations on the Isle of Man are great assets to the island. Perhaps not always perfect all of the time, but then what is?

Edited by Dan Lodge
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

What's the grant they get? Around a million? Compare that to what the island pays the BBC in the form of TV licences, that'll be much more.

Er, duh.
Only 'a fool' would try and compare Manx Radio with BBC, as you have tried to do here.'

And Stu of course:

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Nobody at the station is on a BBC level salary, there are no fat cats or superstar wages.

1 minute ago, Dan Lodge said:

Back then, @Stu Peters presented Mandate 7:30-8:30am and this was perfectly timed for my daily journey to Douglas each morning. I needed to learn a lot and quickly - Manx Radio and particularly Mandate were helpful. I’d also pick up the old 5:30pm Mandate on the journey home.

^ As did many people on the Island.

Mandate was the flag ship programme for well over 20 years, and it did a good job with interviews and reports, and up to a point it held politicians to account.

And then the powers that be discovered Manx Radio could replace Mandate with musical wallpaper and guff conversation between the presenters - for just the same subvention money. And far less work and hassle. And of course this suited the politicians, who could have a 'lie in' and listen to the pop music and guff. Unless they wanted to, no one is going to drag them up Douglas Head to answer awkward questions no mo'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IOM said:

I think you are missing my point . The taxpayer ( government taxes ) do not pay for the commercial stations but you still pay a ‘ tax ‘  because when you buy anything from a company that advertises on 3fm or Energy that company will have baked in advertising costs to the price so however you cut it you pay for it one way or another . Nothing is free other than fresh air ! 

That's not a 'tax' though. It's called the free market. 

A tax would be applied to everyone, but companies are not forced to pay to advertise with 3FM or Energy. They have the choice to do so if they think the station is being run well and meets their needs. Not like Manx Radio which will get all the funds it wants whether it does well or flops. 

Can you see the difference now?

Edited by James Blonde
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, James Blonde said:

That's not a 'tax' though. It's called the free market. 

A tax would be applied to everyone, but companies are not forced to pay to advertise with 3FM or Energy. They have the choice to do so if they think the station is being run well and meets their needs. Not like Manx Radio which will get all the funds it wants whether it does well or flops. 

Can you see the difference now?

Perhaps you could explain if Manx Radio really is so bad why it’s the most listened to radio station on the Isle of Man as measured by Rajar?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

You do realise that Rajar is a massively unreliable report (essentially made up figures?)

Ah of course it’s a completely fictitious data set which is all made up ! What utter rubbish all the respected radio operators follow it including Global and Bauer ! And advertisers use it to help them direct ad spend . I am sure there will be a level of inaccuracy but I would suggest in the round it’s a fairly accurate picture of listening habits . 

• Like 3