Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

13 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Oh no I didn't. Read what I said.

Anyone: thank you for your nihilistic, defeatist nonsense, every small victory (and I've had a couple already) will taste all the sweeter knowing you said it was worthless trying. And I'm not in the pension scheme as I already get a small one from my years on staff at MR.

Billy the Kid: I'm resisting but am sore tempted by the base Emira due in 2023.

Stu, there are people on here and elsewhere who will try to bait you with this nonsense. I suggest you don’t respond, unless you really have to. As with any MHK, it doesn’t matter what they earned before and the judgement about what they earn now should be based on the added value they bring. The only comment that really matters about this will be made in X marks at the next election, should you wish to stand. 

Edited by joebean
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, IOM said:

Ok that’s fine . But some people seem to dispute that Manx Radio is the most listened to station on the island and suggest the Rajar data is worthless . I am just intrigued to understand how they are analysing the audience data they must have a very sophisticated set of data and analysis! 

It’s impossible to know without asking everyone or at least a broad section of society.  Rajar don’t do that.

Online listening figures are much more accurate (Alexa etc) but would be skewed towards the younger age groups.

We could ask here?  I dont know anyone apart from an elderly parent who listens to Manx Radio for any length of time.

I listen to the Mannin Line for a laugh when I get a chance.  3Fm in the car and absolute radio at home via Alexa.

54 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I just pointed out that the RAJAR figures are based on a tiny proportion of households and aren’t worth anything.

If you've got to the age you are without understanding how opinion polling works, I doubt anything I say is going to alter that.  The world is full of people saying "That isn't true - they didn't ask me! - and I wouldn't tell them is they did!".  What they really mean is that only their own opinion counts and they're perpetually frustrated that everyone else doesn't realise that they are the Supreme Ruler of the Universe.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

If you've got to the age you are without understanding how opinion polling works, I doubt anything I say is going to alter that.  The world is full of people saying "That isn't true - they didn't ask me! - and I wouldn't tell them is they did!".  What they really mean is that only their own opinion counts and they're perpetually frustrated that everyone else doesn't realise that they are the Supreme Ruler of the Universe.

RAJAR measures all listening seamlessly via a single source. The data capture is through the continuous placement of diaries across 50 weeks of the year (100,000 p.a.), in which respondents record their live radio listening for one week. The weekly data is aggregated and published quarterly.”

I am pretty sure that last i heard they put 130 diaries out for the entire island.  You don’t have to be a genius to figure out that that is far too small a number to gets true representation, or that it is pretty unlikely that the type of person who would bother to do the survey is unlikely to listen to energy.

47 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

RAJAR measures all listening seamlessly via a single source. The data capture is through the continuous placement of diaries across 50 weeks of the year (100,000 p.a.), in which respondents record their live radio listening for one week. The weekly data is aggregated and published quarterly.”

I am pretty sure that last i heard they put 130 diaries out for the entire island.  You don’t have to be a genius to figure out that that is far too small a number to gets true representation, or that it is pretty unlikely that the type of person who would bother to do the survey is unlikely to listen to energy.

RAJAR are busy updating their methodology anyway, in part triggered by Covid, but also because of changes in listening methods.  But as well as having above average numbers of respondents on the Island, as with other stations with a small potential listening population, they assess the rating on a rolling yearly basis - effectively quadrupling the responses.   You can see this in the tables with stations/groupings marked Q, H or Y.

As important, RAJAR will do what all pollsters try to do and adjust the demographics of their sample to match that of the population they are trying to study, in terms of sex, age, employment and so on.  They do this by recruitment and by weighting.

Incidentally RAJAR only measure adult listening and only for those stations that subscribe to it.  So you won't see Energy there because they won't cough up the £11,601 per year (plus VAT) to pay for it.  Stations get a lot more information than is available to the public who can only see the headline figures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

RAJAR are busy updating their methodology anyway, in part triggered by Covid, but also because of changes in listening methods.  But as well as having above average numbers of respondents on the Island, as with other stations with a small potential listening population, they assess the rating on a rolling yearly basis - effectively quadrupling the responses.   You can see this in the tables with stations/groupings marked Q, H or Y.

As important, RAJAR will do what all pollsters try to do and adjust the demographics of their sample to match that of the population they are trying to study, in terms of sex, age, employment and so on.  They do this by recruitment and by weighting.

Incidentally RAJAR only measure adult listening and only for those stations that subscribe to it.  So you won't see Energy there because they won't cough up the £11,601 per year (plus VAT) to pay for it.  Stations get a lot more information than is available to the public who can only see the headline figures.

But they haven’t applied that new methodology to the island yet. Our last survey was diary based and pre pandemic 

37 minutes ago, quilp said:

Is this another wringing-out of useless minutiae? 

Is it not a conversation about if MR is worth the money?

People are using Rajar figures to justify cost to us and the discussion has moved on to if those figures are actually reflective of the population.

Whats your issue? 

4 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Is it not a conversation about if MR is worth the money?

People are using Rajar figures to justify cost to us and the discussion has moved on to if those figures are actually reflective of the population.

Whats your issue? 

This "conversation" about the value of MR has been wrung out for years on here. Nothing ever changes, MR continues to be subvented by the taxpayer, questions have always been asked, answers have always be qualified and so it goes on.

MR is a significant feature of Island life, culture and community. More significant to some, more than others. Whatever those RAJAR figures aspire to represent it doesn't give a truly representative picture of how MR is to be valued.

My issue is that the subject has been done to death, it's already been said... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

This "conversation" about the value of MR has been wrung out for years on here. Nothing ever changes, MR continues to be subvented by the taxpayer, questions have always been asked, answers have always be qualified and so it goes on.

MR is a significant feature of Island life, culture and community. More significant to some, more than others. Whatever those RAJAR figures aspire to represent it doesn't give a truly representative picture of how MR is to be valued.

My issue is that the subject has been done to death, it's already been said... 

Best to close all the threads and shut the site down then?

How about your start a new and exciting list that hasn’t already been done to death? 

We are waiting.

• Haha 1