Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

25 minutes ago, joebean said:

I am getting the impression that LL does not like Stu Peters, or anything he says. Oh well. 

As a person. live and let live. As an MHK then you are correct, similarly or when he had a public platform on the radio .

I actually thought my post was pretty positive and not specifically in respect of SP. We have other MHK's who post occasionally on here openly and I think that at times they might be better doing so anonymously, unless they are responding to a specific matter or post addressed to them, as there are pre-conceived opinions and responses are based on the pre-conceived opinions rather than contents of their posts.

I have no idea if Andy Wint and Beth Espey post on here, I expect not, but if they did I expect there would be a completely different response to their post if they posted anonymously or under their own name and the same post may well get a completely different response.

Also meant to add I would have made the same initial comment if any other MHK had made the same post as they are the parties that decide how much Manx Radio get from the public purse. I don't think it would be a good look for any of them to just post assumption on a matter where they are part of the decision making process

Edited by Lost Login
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

No. Once you are in the public eye you will be treated to a different standard than somebody who is not. If somebody posts anonymously it is not going to affect how people view them or  think that they are capable of doing there day job.

You might be in private a complete conspiracy theorist and happy to post anonymously here in your belief the earth is flat. You probably would not be wise doing that if you were a doctor, a lawyer, in Government etc under your own name as one you have prominent role everything you do reflects on how people think of you for good to bad.

I am not an MHK but if I was I might post on here anonymously as you could set a few kites flying to judge public mood and opinion without then having to deal with the fall out. I am not thinking about anything extreme but topics like an all Island speed limits etc 

More rubbish from you. 
John Wright (lawyer) and Wrighty (surgeon) we know who he is, both happy to post in their own names. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

There are NO big salaries at MR (compared to, say, BBC equivalents) 

You keep doing that. It's like comparing the football team Ronague United with the football team Manchester United.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, forestboy said:

John Wright (lawyer) and Wrighty (surgeon) we know who he is, both happy to post in their own names. 

I appreciate and where they post on an area they have knowledge about I would expect them to, and generally they do, post knowledgably rather than take a punt and just make at assumption. I would not expect JW to say "I presume the IoM legal position is X when he is a position to know or check. Similarly I don't expect an MHK to make a basic assumption in an area you would expect them to know about. 

Discussing the masked singer, will Djokovic be kicked out of Australia then assume away. 

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

You keep doing that. It's like comparing the football team Ronague United with the football team Manchester United.

That's because the perception of what presenters earn is influenced by what they read in the papers about Zoe Ball and Chris Evans. Maybe I should have said BBC Local Radio, which is equally accurate and probably more relevant.

Edited by Stu Peters
Typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Can we stop calling it a 'subvention' like it's some sort of financial instrument, essential to the continuance of the station. It's mostly to pay the grossly overpaid salaries of public sector senior managers. Isn't the top guy on a six figure sum or thereabouts ? 

Subvention is the correct term to use as a subsidy is usually related in some way to what the organisation produces, that it is felt necessary to subsidise.  Which given the reduction over the last few years in prominent news content, would need to be decreasing not increasing.

Manx Radio has always been over-managed, though it's become more difficult to discover how many they employ on the off-air side over the years.  It's also become more difficult to discover what the top earners are paid.  Their Accounts have always been notoriously unhelpful but they used to include (as many similar organisation do) something like this:

image.png.01a50f6967efaaffcc35a39636076525.png

However Note 5 no longer includes even this minimally revealing information.  So it wouldn't surprise me if the current Managing Director is paid even more.  (Stu's idea about increments is wrong - I think the maximum number is six on civil service payscales, but there would be nothing to restrict the starting salary being higher).

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

All that glitters is not gold.

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Glisters. 

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Glistens

27 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Glisters.

The Prince of Morroco in Merchant of Venice uses “glisters” . But there are lots of contemporary poems and songs that use “glitters”.