Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

56 minutes ago, sausage said:

On a slightly separate note, I just had MR on in the car on way to work. The DJ was again mentioning 'Smart Local Focus'....which I had kind of forgot about !

So it was launched with the strap line 'The worlds first internet search engine.....powered by radio'...or words to that effect. Does anyone actually know what the hell that means ??!! Is that not akin to saying 'Well, this is very exciting news, we have a really unique product...we have the worlds first supercar.....powered by custard !!

Possibly a bit more like saying the first intergallactic universal transit system through space and time......... powered by steam.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

but vague uninformed opinion from an anonymous poster does?

why is the emphasis on Stu to put the effort in to refute spurious claims?

Unless he has the facts to blow the "vague uninformed opinion" out of the water, how do you know they are uninformed?

7 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Unless he has the facts to blow the "vague uninformed opinion" out of the water, how do you know they are uninformed?

I saw no sources provided for the information therefore I believe them to be uninformed

Please prove me wrong

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

I saw no sources provided for the information therefore I believe them to be uninformed

Please prove me wrong

Are you Stu Peters new spokesperson?

I don't have to prove you wrong. Your beliefs are your beliefs. Woody2 I believe made a comment and Stu Peters attempted to put him down with a puerile comment. So far nobody has proved Woody2 comment to be uninformed. Over to you sir

Edited by Neil Down
Incorrect name

11 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Are you Stu Peters new spokesperson?

I don't have to prove you wrong. Your beliefs are your beliefs. Woody2 I believe made a comment and Stu Peters attempted to put him down with a puerile comment. So far nobody has proved Woody2 comment to be uninformed. Over to you sir

I'm not quite sure why you are adopting that approach to this discussion, I'm not suggesting you are Woody2's spokesperson so why would you make that remark?

Anyways, I return to my previous statement that Woody2 has not quoted his sources for making his accusation, until then I believe that he is making spurious remarks.

In fact I'll return to my opening question - why is it that Stu Peters (or myself now apparently) has to evidence that Woody2 is wrong while Woody2 can make a remark and provide no evidence to support it?

Edited by Rhumsaa

22 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I'm not quite sure why you are adopting that approach to this discussion, I'm not suggesting you are Woody2's spokesperson so why would you make that remark?

Anyways, I return to my previous statement that Woody2 has not quoted his sources for making his accusation, until then I believe that he is making spurious remarks.

In fact I'll return to my opening question - why is it that Stu Peters (or myself now apparently) has to evidence that Woody2 is wrong while Woody2 can make a remark and provide no evidence to support it?

Posted 5 hours ago · Report post

15 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Wow, DOES Manx Radio buy content from Sky?  And I always thought the BBC only funded their own operation and journalists. I didn't know - but you seem to know much more about the station than me.

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-bbc-staff-planned-for-island/

Their wages will be funded by the licence fee - but the staff will work for accredited local news providers, rather than the BBC itself.

iomtoday stated that manx radio reporters are funded by the bbc, (papers search doesn't work)

Woody supplied a link above.

10 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Posted 5 hours ago · Report post

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-bbc-staff-planned-for-island/

iomtoday stated that manx radio reporters are funded by the bbc, (papers search doesn't work)

Woody supplied a link above.

But that's future funding not current? His original remark stated that BBC already funded staff

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't think they do - though Manx Radio's Accounts are pretty vague.   They did get a one-off payment a few years back to do with the digital switch-over, but the Government effectively grabbed that for themselves[1].  The BBC do pay rent to Manx Radio for the reporters they have based at Douglas Head - though we don't know how much it is, it probably doesn't count as 'massive', though arguably it's a bit of a hidden subsidy.

There's enough to criticise about the financial arrangement at Manx Radio without imagining stuff.

[1]  They gave it to Manx Radio and then cut Manx Radio's subvention for that year (and that year only) by a larger amount.

you have to go back to iomg accounts not manx radio, but instead of having a bbc radio station tynwald wanted to fund manx radio instead, its part of the subvention payment...

it recorded in hansard if you want to look it up but i don't have the time....

nothing to do with digital switch-over payments....

36 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

But that's future funding not current? His original remark stated that BBC already funded staff

Not sure if this is what Woody was referring to.

https://iomgov.dialogue-app.com/your-services-your-money-your-future-your-ideas/manx-radio-3

I didn't post the original comment merely questioned why Stu Peters couldn't supply a decent reply instead of a sarcastic one

And I told you. Please remember I post here in an entirely personal capacity and not as a Manx Radio staffer or spokesman. I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but when I see unfounded, unwarranted and always  disparaging allegations about an organisation I care deeply about (not least because it provides a modest living for me) I feel compelled to question them. Woody has got the wrong end of the stick in asserting that the BBC pays Manx Radio reporters - that's NOT what the article says - can't you see that? But I don't have access to inside information so don't have the means to substantiate any of my claims.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Not sure if this is what Woody was referring to.

https://iomgov.dialogue-app.com/your-services-your-money-your-future-your-ideas/manx-radio-3

I didn't post the original comment merely questioned why Stu Peters couldn't supply a decent reply instead of a sarcastic one

I'm not sure whether it is or not either, only Woody2 can tell us.

The point I made in my original post and the post you are replying to now and I still stand by is that you requested Stu to evidence his rebuttal but did not require Woody2 to evidence his accusation.

5 hours ago, sausage said:

On a slightly separate note, I just had MR on in the car on way to work. The DJ was again mentioning 'Smart Local Focus'....which I had kind of forgot about !

So it was launched with the strap line 'The worlds first internet search engine.....powered by radio'...or words to that effect. Does anyone actually know what the hell that means ??!! Is that not akin to saying 'Well, this is very exciting news, we have a really unique product...we have the worlds first supercar.....powered by custard !!

So aware I was perhaps being cynical, I thought fair enough I should at least visit the site and have a look around. I randomnly picked Restaurants in the Douglas area (after having to scroll down through the drop down lists because annoyingly you cant type free format in the field for what you are looking for !) and hit search

I got ONE result back...Fryers Fish and Chips in Onchan. So arguably a takeaway and not a restaurant. There is a long list of other businesses with phone numbers underneath, who presumably have not signed up to localfocus...but you cannot click on them, cannot see any further information etc. Which basically means certainly for restaurants, any sane minded person is going to use Google/TripAdvisor to find out what they need.

I then thought that only one restaurant signing up in the three months plus since this was launched seemed pretty poor, so I searched for all entries across the board. Unless I am mistaken it would seem there is only 12 businesses in the whole island who have signed up to this ?

Is anyone able to provide any further information/feedback on this ? Has anyone ever actually used it or benefitted from these brilliant offers that MR keep saying are available ? How much has been spent on it ? I really don't get it im afraid !

The people (externally) who designed the website are at fault in my opinion and need to sort it out by the look of it .  Probably too busy trying to charge more for something that should have been done correctly in the first place.

You have to scroll down to the bottom of the listings.  There about forty signed up.  Which will no doubt mean that it's more than paid for itself but looking at it someone in senior management should be on the phone to the website developer telling them to get it sorted.  

• Like 1

On 03/07/2017 at 2:15 PM, Rhumsaa said:

what about the one where 2 people are talking about how one of their wives got dressed up to go and see Tom Jones or something?

That's awful

Spectrum Windows

Awful

2 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

I'm not sure whether it is or not either, only Woody2 can tell us.

The point I made in my original post and the post you are replying to now and I still stand by is that you requested Stu to evidence his rebuttal but did not require Woody2 to evidence his accusation.

Fair comment, but my point was that Stu didn't offer up anything other than shite sarcasm.