Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

16 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Hearing the dead air silence and "arr well umm" excuse making as Andy Wint was skewered by a question asking why Manx Radio weren't trumpeting the Rajar figures. 

Well worth the £1m bailout. 

Wish A Wint is silenced for ever   

• Like 1

The presenter was me, you have taken my comment out of context, I suggest you “ listen again “ to this mornings programme and correct your comment.

We do not have more “ news readers than BBC 2” by the way. You are not comparing “ like for like” as usual on this forum. 

I rarely comment here, but, from time to time read your comments and those of some  others.

Keep smiling.

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Hearing the dead air silence and "arr well umm" excuse making as Andy Wint was skewered by a question asking why Manx Radio weren't trumpeting the Rajar figures. 

I was listening to this. The questioner  did not ask why Manx Radio weren’t “trumpeting” the Rajar figures, the question was why those figures hadn’t been mentioned on MR . 

Winty  wasn’t “skewered” but pointed them in the right direction and said that the Rajar figures were freely available on the internet if anyone wanted to research them.

This seems to be a case of trying to make mischief when there is no mischief there.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I was listening to this. The questioner  did not ask why Manx Radio weren’t “trumpeting” the Rajar figures, the question was why those figures hadn’t been mentioned on MR . 

Winty  wasn’t “skewered” but pointed them in the right direction and said that the Rajar figures were freely available on the internet if anyone wanted to research them.

This seems to be a case of trying to make mischief when there is no mischief there.

Thanks for your thoughts, Andy. 

Who do you have on the show tomorrow?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

I was told 15 months ago that Manx and 3FM had withdrawn from RAJAR to save money. Maybe it was just during Covid?

RAJAR stopped for about that long because of Covid (I think they use face-to-face interviews in part) but they have restarted and both Manx Radio and 3FM are included (Energy hasn't been for years).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Manx Radio genuinely is terrible. Although the new Mannin Line feature allowing deranged people to leave a voicemail on their grievance to be played on air is quite amusing. 

What is getting me at the moment is the local news broadcasts and the woman with the heavy South African accent.  I just can’t get the image of the below out of my mind whenever I hear her. Can’t we not actually find anyone who has English as their first language to read local news on a British Isles local news station?

Why would someone with English as a Second Language not be able to read the news? Is there something about the accent that you don't like? Something about their nationality?

36 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

What is getting me at the moment is the local news broadcasts and the woman with the heavy South African accent.  I just can’t get the image of the below out of my mind whenever I hear her. Can’t we not actually find anyone who has English as their first language to read local news on a British Isles local news station?

Tbf she is a lot easier to listen to than some of our 'home grown' presenters. 

The overblown attemps at 'Foxdul' and 'Up North' are one of the worst things about the NPM. 

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

Or Phil Gawne comedy Manx accent. But I can hardly understand a word she says. Probably as I didn’t grow up in the Transvaal speaking Afrikaans as my first language. The primary purpose of being a news reader is that people can understand what you’re actually saying. Otherwise your role is fairly pointless. Surely there is someone who speaks English as their first language who they could have employed to provide such an important communications role? 

I don't see why it would have to be their 'first language'?

know several people who speak two or more languages and they're fluent/clear in each of them. I don't have any issue understanding her but it could just be me. I would actually rather a slight accent than having the news read in 'BBC 1940's English'.

7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Or Phil Gawne comedy Manx accent. But I can hardly understand a word she says. Probably as I didn’t grow up in the Transvaal speaking Afrikaans as my first language. The primary purpose of being a news reader is that people can understand what you’re actually saying. Otherwise your role is fairly pointless. Surely there is someone who speaks English as their first language who they could have employed to provide such an important communications role? 

What if they were Irish or Scottish? Is that also a problem or would you not have an issue understanding them?

Just about every post you put on has seriously xenophobic or discriminatory undertones.