Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

15 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Speaking for myself, I'm all for that. Death will be a blessed release from the woke nonsense you assumedly peddle.

Just stop reading the woke nonsense, better prospects than death!

Edited by De nada
sp.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, De nada said:

Just stop reading the woke nonsense, better prospects than death!

I try to avoid it. But like Pacino in GF3 'they keep pulling me back in!'

On 3/30/2022 at 12:08 AM, Stu Peters said:

Speaking for myself, I'm all for that. Death will be a blessed release from the woke nonsense you assumedly peddle.

Because caring how marginalised groups in society feel is a bad thing?. Plus, aren’t you on the tubby side yourself?.

I'm already totally untroubled by "woke nonsense". It's just a label people have created so they can get upset. Usually about things that really require case by case thought but it's easier to slap a label on something. It's a limiting belief. 

Why get upset about an abstract concept you've created?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So Phil Gawne is introducing a programme between 12 noon and one o clock on Sundays.   Did not catch any more, missed the news because could not understand the news reader, seriously thinking about defecting to 3fm.

I usually only listen to the Moanin' Line, and news and weather on MR.

But, thanks for the Heads-Up re Silly Goon, Sid, That is definitely one for me to avoid!

(Btw - does anyone know why MR insist on playing that annoying thumping electric bass beneath the voice, on MR's News Bulletins?) It makes the news reader even MORE difficult to understand.)

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

So Phil Gawne is introducing a programme between 12 noon and one o clock on Sundays.   Did not catch any more, missed the news because could not understand the news reader, seriously thinking about defecting to 3fm.

That's peak time listening for his 3 fans

He doesn't have a radio voice for sure. Terrible monotonous drone.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

It's "Perspective", previously presented by the late Roger Watterson.

People were getting in a twist about a former Lt Gov sitting on an inquiry, but I suspect he is qualified to perform that role. 

Phil Gawne on the other hand, is not a very good presenter, sadly, because of the heavy Manx (probably affected) drawl. Probably understands politics enough to do it, but for someone else to present.

Hopefully he won't sing or recite poetry though. 

• Like 2

The bass beat is annoying but it's "down with the kids" and that is what Manx Radio seems to be trying to do. 

I find the newsreader ok. Far better than a local who has all of a sudden adopted the words "Foxtul" and "Andruss", and none of them ever said "Fastyr Mie" when they were kids. Pure affectation conjured up in the past 20 years,

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AOR said:

Or play us a tune on that fiddle. Better than me of course, but so is our 10 year-old who has been playing violin 2 months.

It's a great example of 'you can but you shouldn't'. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Declan said:

I'm already totally untroubled by "woke nonsense". It's just a label people have created so they can get upset. Usually about things that really require case by case thought but it's easier to slap a label on something. It's a limiting belief. 

Why get upset about an abstract concept you've created?

You'll be just as untroubled with your constant labelling of 'gammon' then.

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Gizo said:

You'll be just as untroubled with your constant labelling of 'gammon' then.

That's a fair point. The use of Gammon is the same as using Woke - hence my joke that the Middle lection was DJ Gammon vs MC Woke.

I made that same point in 2018 - 

I made it again in 2019!

It's the same thing, progressives undermine their case when they too talk in stereotypes.  I try to avoid it. 

I'm not perfect though and these are the times I've used the word in the past ...

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/search/&q=gammon&quick=1&author=Declan&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Hardly constant and never in the way I described. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

That's a fair point. The use of Gammon is the same as using Woke - hence my joke that the Middle lection was DJ Gammon vs MC Woke.

The word 'gammon' is one much used by people on the left and who know that it is a perfectly reasonable word to use and there ain't nuthin' you can do to stop it. A 6 letter word with central double letters and in the form:

consonant, vowel, double consonant, vowel, consonant.

A play on letters and meaning but a sort of mirror reflection on the word 'nigger', my use of which I would not be surprised the internet will have 'botted me out by now, and I shall expect Gary's boys to be knocking on my back door any minute.