Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

5 hours ago, Lilly said:

Manx radio.  Well I've just caught the news on sky to hear NCA police investigating PPE fraud on iom with discreet raids made on island.  I've just read manx radio news, no mention of the PPE fraud.

My point is l had to tune into Sky news for important information on our island. Surely it should more informative, l understand no arrest have been made, is this the reason we weren't give full story.

To be fair the Sky story is labelled "Exclusive", so they were probably tipped off in the UK.  And Manx Radio's report is actually earlier, so they couldn't have included any of Sky's info in it.  The only surprise is that they did include some actual reporting in noticing something happened in Finch Road rather than repeating a press release.  Though probably just via a member of the  public rather than doing it themselves.  Still, baby steps.

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

To be fair the Sky story is labelled "Exclusive", so they were probably tipped off in the UK.  And Manx Radio's report is actually earlier, so they couldn't have included any of Sky's info in it.  The only surprise is that they did include some actual reporting in noticing something happened in Finch Road rather than repeating a press release.  Though probably just via a member of the  public rather than doing it themselves.  Still, baby steps.

Ahhh! I  see what you mean. Yes, baby steps.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wake Up Call said:

Yes Tim, and if only we'd had a national media, led by fearless news editors, that would have investigated all this government wrongdoing at the time.

It's quite revealing that when he and the interviewer are complaining about government interference, they're doing so over a topic where Manx Radio was technically wrong.  Reading the Decision it seems that Ranson hadn't been dismissed in August, though she was clearly being sidelined and undermined in strikingly petty and malicious ways long before that.  But as our own @wrighty pointed out at the time she was still struggling on to help as much in the Health Service as she could.  The government were clearly happy to have her still being paid till her initial contract lapsed at the end of this January.

It's also worth pointing out that Gef, with is one man and his imaginary mongoose set-up has still provided better online coverage and analysis of the outcome of the Tribunal that Manx Radio with all its taxpayer-funded resources.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Well, the radio listening figures are in…

Despite Manx Radio showing it’s lowest audience in 14 years 3 months ago, they perhaps had hoped that the only way is up.

Sadly, there’ll be some frowning faces later, as Manx Radio has dropped further with even less listeners this time.

It had been declining for several years prior to the Oct 2019 revamp (had 31,000 people listening each week), but has continued to decline further since and is now reporting 25,000 listeners. And to think, back in 2014 it had 47,000.

Edited by Gagster
  • Like 1

The main problem with Manx Radio is that the way people engage with media is changing but Manx Radio had not. What does it actually provide. Good news coverage yes , good local sports coverage yes. The rest is not that relevant , so dump Manx Radio and private enterprise will fill the gaps. If they don’t it will mean it’s not needed. It’s called evolution.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Anyone said:

The main problem with Manx Radio is that the way people engage with media is changing but Manx Radio had not. What does it actually provide. Good news coverage yes , good local sports coverage yes. The rest is not that relevant , so dump Manx Radio and private enterprise will fill the gaps. If they don’t it will mean it’s not needed. It’s called evolution.

The gaps as you refer to are I assume news, sport , political coverage, local community etc and are the mostly costly to deliver . It is highly unlikely that any private enterprise would consider it worth doing so the best outcome will just be music radio ( basically a presenter playing out records and not even always live either ) . If that’s all you want fine but I think a lot of people want a lot more from radio on the island . 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought a brooch, as in the one given to HM, is pronounced like "broach" and not given the "oo" sound.  

Is it such an unusual article that the word causes a pronunciation stumble by our MR newsreaders?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gladys said:

Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought a brooch, as in the one given to HM, is pronounced like "broach" and not given the "oo" sound.  

Is it such an unusual article that the word causes a pronunciation stumble by our MR newsreaders?

I heard that on the news tonight too. The first time he said it I thought it was a slip of the tongue. But he repeated it. I have never heard anybody pronounce brooch like that before, ever. It’s pronounced ‘broach’ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

You'd think - wouldn't you - that if you were a radio announcer reading the news on a live broadcast, that if there was an unfamiliar word with an odd looking spelling in the script, that you'd check how to pronounce it?

(Surprised he didn't say "Brooooooooch" )

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 12:33 AM, Gagster said:

Well, the radio listening figures are in…

Despite Manx Radio showing it’s lowest audience in 14 years 3 months ago, they perhaps had hoped that the only way is up.

Sadly, there’ll be some frowning faces later, as Manx Radio has dropped further with even less listeners this time.

It had been declining for several years prior to the Oct 2019 revamp (had 31,000 people listening each week), but has continued to decline further since and is now reporting 25,000 listeners. And to think, back in 2014 it had 47,000.

Manx Radio listenership has almost halved in 8 years?