Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

28 minutes ago, IOM said:

Might suggest that before you go about making sweeping statements you spend a bit more time understanding what people actually do rather than formulating a view based on what you personally do .  

Local barbers used to play radio until PRS clamped down now they don't. People can now connect phones to car radio and stream content instead of radio. There are a whole more TV channels that cater for old people, never mind social media.

You can try and deny it all you like. Facts are facts radio is in decline.

Rajar figures are deceptive as they count a listener as some one who tunes in for a new bulletin not for a few hours. personally I used to listen to radio for several hours a day. But now it's several minutes, for rajar that makes no difference.

Back to Manx radio, give over 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Local barbers used to play radio until PRS clamped down now they don't. People can now connect phones to car radio and stream content instead of radio. There are a whole more TV channels that cater for old people, never mind social media.

You can try and deny it all you like. Facts are facts radio is in decline.

Rajar figures are deceptive as they count a listener as some one who tunes in for a new bulletin not for a few hours. personally I used to listen to radio for several hours a day. But now it's several minutes, for rajar that makes no difference.

Back to Manx radio, give over 

Radio listening has held constant at around 50m and however you look at it that is a lot of people. I am sure some people do use spotify etc although I suspect they listen to a combination and not one medium. To suggest radio is dead in 10 years is just pure fantasy . The poster was also suggesting that people don't watch the 10pm news but as I pointed out data shows the BBC alone reach an audience of more than 20m a week across the 6pm and 10pm bulletins. 

My point is the statistics and data indicate peoples behaviour. And yes Rajar has its flaws but it is used universally by the radio industry including respected giants Global and Bauer because they know it provides them with trends and an understanding of what is going on. Lets be honest its more reliable than an ex car mechanic! 

There are too many people who have their own pre conceived views and seem to want to impose them on everybody else all I seek to do is offer an alternative opinion based on actual data. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, IOM said:

Well here is some actual data for you . But according to you people don’t bother with fixed times news! 

The BBC is reaching an audience of more than 20m a week across its evening news bulletins at 6pm and 10pm.

Yet many, many people now go to SkyNews of an evening for relatively independent news coverage of UK & world events

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Actually it does because RAJAR measure both reach (the number and percentage of the target population who listen to it at all in the survey period) and the number of hours listening as an extrapolated total and as a percentage of all radio listening.  The same number of people listening for less would show up in the latter.

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually it does because RAJAR measure both reach (the number and percentage of the target population who listen to it at all in the survey period) and the number of hours listening as an extrapolated total and as a percentage of all radio listening.  The same number of people listening for less would show up in the latter.

It might have changed, but when I did a survey a few years ago, I was quite hesitant to put down any local stations over the polling period as my listening was so negligable, ie tuned into Manx Radio when flicking between stations in car as song I did not like came on Radio One, yes I might have stopped for a minute if news was on or checked out who had died to let my dad know, the RAJAR lady was clear that counted as a 'listen' and I should put it down.

As I recall they did want a log of how many hours I listened but then it was not granular to each station, ie if I said I listened to 4 hours of which 3hours 50 mins was Radio One and 10 mins to Manx Radio they did not care for that just that I had listened for 4 hours and had listened to 2 stations,  based on that I just throught it was a pile of deceptive nonsense.

46 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Yet many, many people now go to SkyNews of an evening for relatively independent news coverage of UK & world events

Yes agreed I just looked up the data for BBC news you can add Sky News and ITV News too . The point I was trying to illustrate to the poster was that there are plenty of people watching linear TV news . He seemed to be implying nobody did ! 

TBH I think the BBC has seen the writing on the wall

Such is a change in viewer habits that progs like Newsnight are now releasing their best bits on YouTube - it's probably only a matter of time before they stream entire programmes there

YouTube is great for news dipping as channels like France24 & DW cover issues that Brexit Britain just can't be arsed with

I'm not sure the youngsters view digital media watching in the linear way us oldies are used to - news is what's trending on their timelines I guess

Jonny Moss' continual updating the TT audience on the cricket -
I can't speak for all bikers but I reckon I can speak for damned near 100% of them (non-bikers too) - who cares about the cricket. Just tell us who won or who lost at the end of the long drawn out boring saga. 

• Thanks 1