Listening Share In TSA % - down from 23.5 to 21.5

The subsidy continues to increase. 

Manx Radio is failing. 

ETA: Source - Rajar 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On the plus side the South African lady’s  accent is becoming more understandable/ listenable as time goes on.

(I did go on the Manx Radio website and looked at the list and photos of presenters so I didn’t have to call her the South African lady, that seems a bit rude. Anyway she didn’t appear on that. Maybe she doesn’t qualify as a presenter, she seems to be more a news person)

28 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Average Hours Per Head - down from 4.5 to 4.1 

Average Hours Per Listener - down from 11.6 to 10.2 

Does the average listener have more than one head?

Or do they count each ear as distinct listener?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

On the plus side the South African lady’s  accent is becoming more understandable/ listenable as time goes on.

(I did go on the Manx Radio website and looked at the list and photos of presenters so I didn’t have to call her the South African lady, that seems a bit rude. Anyway she didn’t appear on that. Maybe she doesn’t qualify as a presenter, she seems to be more a news person)

Her pic, (wearing the obligatory MR white Top) is in the News Team Section.

3 minutes ago, KERED said:

Her pic, (wearing the obligatory MR white Top) is in the News Team Section.

Along with THIRTEEN others.

I know some of them have other roles and/or are part time but FOURTEEN staff?  

How many staff have they got total?  It must be knocking on for 30 if not more.  How does that compare to the other local stations who have to actually bring in enough revenue to survive?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Asthehills said:

Along with THIRTEEN others.

I know some of them have other roles and/or are part time but FOURTEEN staff?  

How many staff have they got total?  It must be knocking on for 30 if not more.  How does that compare to the other local stations who have to actually bring in enough revenue to survive?

It's gold-plated hospital radio.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Declan said:

Does the average listener have more than one head?

Or do they count each ear as distinct listener?

Don't give them ideas.

The per head figures are based on the potential population of those aged 15+.  In the Isle of Man this is assessed at 67,000.  The number out of that was assessed at 26,000 (39%), technically this is known as the 'reach'.

Of those 26,000 listeners, they were assessed to listen an average of 11.6 hours in the reporting period.  That is equivalent to 4.5 hours per head (ie 39% of 11.6 hours).

Figures are all available from here:

https://www.rajar.co.uk/listening/quarterly_listening.php

It's worth pointing out that 39% reach makes Manx Radio the fifth most listened to local radio station covered by Rajar (after the two commercial CI stations, and two Scottish one in the Moray Firth and the Borders).  3FM comes in at #11, so the Manx obviously listen to a lot of local radio (though not as much as people in Guernsey).

30 🤣 double that and you will get nearer, don’t forget the engineers and the back up team, news room etc.    You will never get an answer to the number of employees even people employed there either don’t know or won’t tell.    Why they need two people on the breakfast show joined by a third in the last part of it is a mystery, Radio 2 manages with one, they just have a conversation regarding their likes and dislikes of various food stuffs and television programmes I think half the time they forget they have listeners.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, 0bserver said:

The continual decline of Manx Radio continues from Q2 to Q3 2022:

Average Hours Per Head - down from 4.5 to 4.1 

Average Hours Per Listener - down from 11.6 to 10.2 

Total Hours 000s - down from 303 to 274

Listening Share In TSA % - down from 23.5 to 21.5

Incidentally (as readers may have gathered from my previous post) Observer has actually mixed up Q2 and Q3, so the actual figures are:

Average Hours Per Head - up from 4.1 to 4.5

Average Hours Per Listener - up from 10.2 to 11.6

Total Hours 000s -up from 274 to 303

Listening Share In TSA % - up from 21.5 to 23.5

I'm sure he will be amending his post to hail the continuing triumph of Manx Radi0o as it goes from strength to strength.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Incidentally (as readers may have gathered from my previous post) Observer has actually mixed up Q2 and Q3, so the actual figures are:

Average Hours Per Head - up from 4.1 to 4.5

Average Hours Per Listener - up from 10.2 to 11.6

Total Hours 000s -up from 274 to 303

Listening Share In TSA % - up from 21.5 to 23.5

I'm sure he will be amending his post to hail the continuing triumph of Manx Radi0o as it goes from strength to strength.

This is why I think RAJAR is bollocks.

I know plenty of people who only ever listen to Manx Radio over TT.  The idea that their listeners increase after TT is just hard to believe 

47 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

30 🤣 double that and you will get nearer, don’t forget the engineers and the back up team, news room etc.    You will never get an answer to the number of employees even people employed there either don’t know or won’t tell.    Why they need two people on the breakfast show joined by a third in the last part of it is a mystery, Radio 2 manages with one, they just have a conversation regarding their likes and dislikes of various food stuffs and television programmes I think half the time they forget they have listeners.

And how many people do you think work on the radio 2 breakfast show including news team ? Do you really think it’s just one ????

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

This is why I think RAJAR is bollocks.

I know plenty of people who only ever listen to Manx Radio over TT.  The idea that their listeners increase after TT is just hard to believe 

RAJAR may not be perfect - it definitely isn't. But it's the best that we, and the Radio industry, have.

It's certainly likely to be more accurate than people who just make stuff up based upon conversations with their acquaintances. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Nellie said:

RAJAR may not be perfect - it definitely isn't. But it's the best that we, and the Radio industry, have.

It's certainly likely to be more accurate than people who just make stuff up based upon conversations with their acquaintances. 

Are you suggesting that Manx Radio don’t see a big upturn in listeners of TT?

Thats not what their sales people said when they were trying to sell us advertising for the fortnight, but ok then.