Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

I wonder how much some of their dreadfully irritating adverts brings them financially.

Millichaps have even got the nerve to inflict the listeners with the same Christmas ad. as last year....

... "The nights are getting darker".  Oh, really??? What twaddle.

"There's some good deals..... " ...."Yes, there is, isn't there".

I find that so irritating that it works as a disincentive to shop at the place.

Does nobody teach English any more???

There are plenty of others that have the same effect on me, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, monasqueen said:

I wonder how much some of their dreadfully irritating adverts brings them financially.

Millichaps have even got the nerve to inflict the listeners with the same Christmas ad. as last year....

That ad gets on my nerves for the very same reason. 

1 minute ago, monasqueen said:

Have you listened to the news readers? One in particular can't pronounce basic English words or read a sentence out loud correctly. Pretty much everytime not just the odd gaff.  My favourite being "Ukranian wah". Beats David Ashfords 'futeen' hands down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, monasqueen said:

Ramsey,,,, a town full of special people. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Have you listened to the news readers? One in particular can't pronounce basic English words or read a sentence out loud correctly. Pretty much everytime not just the odd gaff.  My favourite being "Ukranian wah". Beats David Ashfords 'futeen' hands down.

"Illegible" instead of "eligible" is the one that always gives me chuckle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2bees said:

That's exactly what I'm talking about @CallMeCurious. Why would you give someone a job on a national radio station as a news reader when they cannot read? Did they not do a test first?

I heard that the other applicant for the newsreader job could speak perfectly clear  english , unfortunately he didn't fit the job spec as he was too tall .:flowers: 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, paswt said:

I heard that the other applicant for the newsreader job could speak perfectly clear  english , unfortunately he didn't fit the job spec as he was too tall .:flowers: 

You mean he might have been competent? Can't have that now can we,  where would it end?

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!” Peter Venkman ~ Ghostbusters (1984)

9 hours ago, 2bees said:

That's exactly what I'm talking about @CallMeCurious. Why would you give someone a job on a national radio station as a news reader when they cannot read? Did they not do a test first?

I think you will find the lady in question is more than competent,  a very nice person and a good journalist. This has been debated before she is South African so has an accent and I suggest most people have no trouble with it at all ! End of ! 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IOM said:

I think you will find the lady in question is more than competent,  a very nice person and a good journalist. This has been debated before she is South African so has an accent and I suggest most people have no trouble with it at all ! End of ! 

I agree, it is an unusual accent, but not unintelligible.  She also has quite a nice, friendly delivery style.  

She can certainly read. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1