Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

5 hours ago, AOR said:

Just call it Radio Gawne and be done with it.

Just call it radio gone and be done with it more like it.

They can’t turn a profit even with a huge government subsidy and enough staff to run about four similar sized stations.

Local radio is dying on its arse and crap local radio even more so.

Who in their right mind would listen to that drivel with every other station in the world now available on your phone, smart speaker etc?

Shut it down and spend the money saved on something useful or give them five years to wean themselves off the  government handout and make it viable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Just call it radio gone and be done with it more like it.

They can’t turn a profit even with a huge government subsidy and enough staff to run about four similar sized stations.

Local radio is dying on its arse and crap local radio even more so.

Who in their right mind would listen to that drivel with every other station in the world now available on your phone, smart speaker etc?

Shut it down and spend the money saved on something useful or give them five years to wean themselves off the  government handout and make it viable.

There are heaps of reasons why a local radio service is important - though whether it should be the current incarnation is another matter.

First and foremost is local news. Everywhere, independent local news (as distinct from the ‘news’ on Facebook or similar) is under threat. The total loss of local content leads to less awareness, less debate, poorer crisis management (think weather and traffic) and poorer democracy. 

Radio is the most cost effective mass medium for this on the island. TV (or online version) will never happen. Papers are a dying medium. 

The harder question may be about a clear out of current MR programming and a focus on true public broadcasting. 

But losing it entirely would be very retrograde (can even see the Forum post on the topic decrying its loss) 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

But losing it entirely would be very retrograde (can even see the Forum post on the topic decrying its loss

Possibly, but only because the forum has a lot of oldies on it.  Nobody under 50 would even notice.

If they did proper local news I might agree with you, but they don’t.

Crisis management, weather warnings etc?  First place most people go these days is Twitter or Facebook.  The police and DOI facebook feeds are infinitely more useful and real time than a crappy local radio station.

Thats because they are all on holiday , you would think Manx Radio  would be having a manin line every day  during the  Christmas  Break when everyone is at home bored  stiff   and cant get out due to the poor weather ,  what ever happened to  community radio at its best ,  ?  no just canned music and who wants to listen to an interview with Sir Ronald Garvey  a former Governor  of the Isle of man  that was broadcast again  today ,  its a million pound subvention  for this station and you have to ask are we really getting value for money ,or indeed any value at at all 

9 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Possibly, but only because the forum has a lot of oldies on it.  Nobody under 50 would even notice.

If they did proper local news I might agree with you, but they don’t.

Crisis management, weather warnings etc?  First place most people go these days is Twitter or Facebook.  The police and DOI facebook feeds are infinitely more useful and real time than a crappy local radio station.

You have made sweeping statements like this before . Can you provide the evidence that as you say “ most people go to Twitter or Facebook first “ I would be fascinated to know your data source . Where do you think local news is derived from do you think it’s just appears out of thin air ? I am also still waiting for an answer to my question some time ago about which radio stations have the presenter reading the news as well as playing records etc ( as you or another poster claimed ) perhaps you can clear that up as well . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, IOM said:
23 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

You have made sweeping statements like this before . Can you provide the evidence that as you say “ most people go to Twitter or Facebook first “ I would be fascinated to know your data source . Where do you think local news is derived from do you think it’s just appears out of thin air ?

Manx Radio get most of their own updates from Facebook ffs.

”News” comes from press releases or the appalling “court reporter” or other stations Facebook feeds.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Manx Radio get most of their own updates from Facebook ffs.

”News” comes from press releases or the appalling “court reporter” or other stations Facebook feeds.

I suggest you spend a little more time understanding how radio and the media work as I fear you really don’t grasp how it all comes together. Sorry I think if you are going to make controversial comments and statements you need to be able to qualify what you are saying . The above just shows you are out of your depth on this subject! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IOM said:

I suggest you spend a little more time understanding how radio and the media work as I fear you really don’t grasp how it all comes together. Sorry I think if you are going to make controversial comments and statements you need to be able to qualify what you are saying . The above just shows you are out of your depth on this subject! 

Go and ask at one of the local tyre places if they will do a survey for you of how many cars are tuned to Manx Radio?  Exclude Honda Jazz and Nissan Notes and it will be virtually none, and that number will only decrease as older cars with only FM tuners fall out of use.

Local radio is on its last legs.  Alexa gives me my personalised news whenever I want it and local news comes from the internet and social media.

It’s a fact that local Is radio is listened to by a demographic who are getting older.  That isn’t sustainable.  Adapt or die.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Go and ask at one of the local tyre places if they will do a survey for you of how many cars are tuned to Manx Radio?  Exclude Honda Jazz and Nissan Notes and it will be virtually none, and that number will only decrease as older cars with only FM tuners fall out of use.

Local radio is on its last legs.  Alexa gives me my personalised news whenever I want it and local news comes from the internet and social media.

It’s a fact that local Is radio is listened to by a demographic who are getting older.  That isn’t sustainable.  Adapt or die.

You are continuing to conflate news (as compiled by journalists) and ‘news’ on social channels (unverified, gossipy, often opinion not news). They are different beasts and each has their place, but one does not replace the other. 

Personally, I would put an editorial bomb under MR, but wouldn’t shut it down. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Honestly you have quoted the local tyre places remark before it’s ridiculous if that’s the extent of your research and evidence then your comments I am sorry are just not credible . 

• Like 3