Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 minute ago, Cinderella said:

Manx radio is listed on latest quarterly stats and shows a reach of a quarter of the island’s population. So not quite dead yet … (and stats cover people over 15) https://www.rajar.co.uk/listening/quarterly_listening.php

That probably includes being forced to listen to it in a queue/at the dentist/surgery/in a government building etc.

40 minutes ago, IOM said:

which radio stations have the presenter reading the news as well as playing records

We no longer need people to play records (and jibber jabber) for us?

1 minute ago, Cinderella said:

Exactly what it implies - number of people who have heard the station. 

Which is a useless stat.  I have heard it.  I couldn’t care less if it ceased to exist tomorrow. In fact I would be delighted.

I also know how many local people RAJAR use to collect their data and the age groups they fall into and would be happy to bet that Manx Radio is over represented in the figures.

How many people under 50 took part in the RAJAR surveys on island over hr last three quarters?  In actuaL number, not percentages of people surveyed?

I think people would be suprised.

• Sad 1

I doubt that most of us know anyone who has ever done a Rajar survey. And from that relatively tiny number of people the old fashioned commercial wireless stations invent the price of advertising.

The great thing about online is that you can measure the actual traffic and look at the demographics of the people you are actually reaching. You don't need someone with a crayon filling in a questionaire. 

5 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Which is a useless stat.  I have heard it.  I couldn’t care less if it ceased to exist tomorrow. In fact I would be delighted.

I also know how many local people RAJAR use to collect their data and the age groups they fall into and would be happy to bet that Manx Radio is over represented in the figures.

How many people under 50 took part in the RAJAR surveys on island over hr last three quarters?  In actuaL number, not percentages of people surveyed?

I think people would be suprised.

Methodology here - go for your your life, but I suspect you are not interested in facts

https://www.rajar.co.uk/content.php?page=about_process_sampling

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

fewer than

I can’t stand grammar nazis, but here, have this.

Exceptions to the Rule

Despite the rule, less used of things that are countable is standard in many contexts, and in fact is more likely than fewer in a few common constructions, especially ones involving distances (as in "less than three miles"), sums of money (as in "less than twenty dollars"), units of time and weight (as in "less than five years" and "less than ten ounces"), and statistical enumerations (as in "less than 50,000 people")—all things which are often thought of as amounts rather than numbers. 

The use of less to modify ordinary plural count nouns (as in "made less mistakes") is pretty rare in writing and is usually better avoided, though it does occur frequently in speech.

But less is actually preferred in phrases like "an essay of 250 words or less." It's also—to the chagrin of some—the preferred choice in the supermarket checkout line's "twelve items or less" sign. (Some grocery stores have apparently been convinced by the chagrin, though, and use "items or fewer." They are still very much in the minority.)”

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Exactly what it implies - number of people who have heard the station. 

I have done a rajar survey, if you say you listen for 2 mins once a week to hear the weather, you are put down as a listener on equal footing to an actual listener.

Any claims of audience based solely on rajar just are not credible.

It would be interesting if Manx radio published the stats for downloads of podcasts, or streams via Alexa of this content loads of people love so much.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

I doubt that most of us know anyone who has ever done a Rajar survey. 

I've known one person (they got one about 7 years ago). Never heard of another though, in a lot of people over a lot of years.

But would anyone actually admit they got one which led to the government propaganda machine we ended up with? Might as well move the MR newsdesk to the government press release office...or Ballakermeen media studies year 1.

• Thanks 2

The BBC has recently signalled that it will be moving towards online only - shutting down old fashioned broadcasting, satellite etc. Sky is going the same way. 

That's the beginning of the end for old fashioned radio and tv. The spectrum space will ultimately be sold off. Content is what matters.

Edited by genericUserName
  • Thanks 1

RAJAR on the Isle of Man, and I can guarantee (as I have seen the figures) that the numbers surveyed post COVID, and post the figures quoted below, have dropped considerably.

• The sample size for the Isle of Man (612 people per year, according to RAJAR’s own figures) is so small as to be effectively statistically meaningless. Fewer than 12 people a week are surveyed across all age ranges. Yes, less than 12!
  • More people over 65 are surveyed than any other group. Is this your target demographic? It isn't ours!