Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

41 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Like I said.  Old people with time on their hands.

Hardly of the general population and artificially weighted on Manx Radios favour.

Well I regard myself as part of the general population. I didn’t volunteer. The chap just knocked on my door ( on a weekend if I remember correctly, but being old can’t really be sure) and asked if I would be interested in participating in the survey.

He had no prior knowledge of my radio listening habits and I was happy to help.

So I think your conspiracy theory is a load of shit.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

It’s very easy to do like for like measures on social media or website traffic.

3FM win on nearly all counts without any public money being thrown at them.

You really don’t understand do you ? I just said there is literally no comparison on 3FM data for election coverage because they did not do any . And I have said before do you really think you don’t pay for 3fm in some way ? Every time you go shopping at a store or business that advertises on their station you are contributing towards their costs . Don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with 3fm  it’s a well run radio station but it has a different remit to Manx Radio . The issue is their programming is what you want but not what everyone wants . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IOM said:

You really don’t understand do you ? I just said there is literally no comparison on 3FM data for election coverage because they did not do any . And I have said before do you really think you don’t pay for 3fm in some way ? Every time you go shopping at a store or business that advertises on their station you are contributing towards their costs . Don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with 3fm  it’s a well run radio station but it has a different remit to Manx Radio . The issue is their programming is what you want but not what everyone wants . 

Their website and social media engagement stomps all over Manx Radio.  It easy to find and verify using very basic tools.

If you are resorting to telling me that the fact I might buy something in Millichaps (who also advertise on MR) is the same as me and my whole family paying tax to fund Manx Radio then I am afraid you are clueless.

Any update on the numbers of people who actually contribute to the RAJAR figures you were quoting? Specifically those under 50 years old?

Forget RAJAR and statistics and look at the number of advertisers on Manx Radio who have been on there for decades (admittedly often with the same adverts). If it didn’t work they wouldn’t buy the airtime.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I don’t listen to it.  I have already said local radio is dead and I listen to national Radio with decent DJs who are household names for good reason.

If local radio is dead please explain why there are so many local radio stations throughout the U.K. and more starting up every day ?  You literally have no idea what you are talking about ! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I don’t listen to it.  I have already said local radio is dead and I listen to national Radio with decent DJs who are household names for good reason.

Point of order Mr Interlocutor: you’re listening to foreign stations, which is fine if you’re more interested in Whitehall than the Whitebridge. Manx Radio is our national broadcaster.

Edited by Stu Peters
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

If you are resorting to telling me that the fact I might buy something in Millichaps (who also advertise on MR)... 

...whose advert is right next to the news menu on the phone...and when you aim for the menu as the page is still settling you can easily hit the advert by mistake. Happened to me many times.

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

...whose advert is right next to the news menu on the phone...and when you aim for the menu as the page is still settling you can easily hit the advert by mistake. Happened to me many times.

Guess what.  Every time you do that they will count it as a click on the advert to feed back to the advertiser and potential future clients.  

6 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Like who?  There’s all sorts. There’s cuddly Ken Bruce Who is fine ( love Pop Master). But then you get the likes of Jeremy sodding Vine who is a household name by virtue of being a knobhead. And those over excitable types on Radio One.

For serious international news I always turn to Radio 4 for the Today programmer or after 5 pm

I rely on Manx Radio for local news.Yes it sometimes disappoints but at least it’s there

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Last paragraph
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Like who?  There’s all sorts. There’s cuddly Ken Bruce Who is fine ( love Pop Master). But then you get the likes of Jeremy sodding Vine who is a household name by virtue of being a knobhead. And those over excitable types on Radio One.

For serious international news I always turn to Radio 4 for the Today programmer or after 5 pm

I am younger than you.

I listen to Chris Evans, Sara Cox, Joe Whiley, Chris Moyles , Graham Norton, Frank Skinner and Jonny Vaughan amongst others.

Probably not your cup of tea, but they engage me and make me laugh.

Alex Brindley and Tony James make me want to turn the radio off.

8 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Forget RAJAR and statistics and look at the number of advertisers on Manx Radio who have been on there for decades (admittedly often with the same adverts). If it didn’t work they wouldn’t buy the airtime.

How much does a twenty second advert on Manx Radio cost? Say at a dozen a day over a month.? 
Just interested.

5 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I am younger than you.

I listen to Chris Evans, Sara Cox, Joe Whiley, Chris Moyles , Graham Norton, Frank Skinner and Jonny Vaughan amongst others.

Probably not your cup of tea, but they engage me and make me laugh.

Yes bar Frank Skinner, and possibly Joe Whiley I think that’s what is called “dumbing down”

Edited by The Voice of Reason