Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I am younger than you.

I listen to Chris Evans, Sara Cox, Joe Whiley, Chris Moyles , Graham Norton, Frank Skinner and Jonny Vaughan amongst others.

Probably not your cup of tea, but they engage me and make me laugh.

Alex Brindley and Tony James make me want to turn the radio off.

That’s your choice and it’s fine but not everyone wants what you want ! And why not do a little more research and take a look at how many people across tune in to programmes like Carnaby Street which showcases the 60s and is an excellent listen . 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IOM said:

That’s your choice and it’s fine but not everyone wants what you want ! And why not do a little more research and take a look at how many people across tune in to programmes like Carnaby Street which showcases the 60s and is an excellent listen . 

Are the people across who tune in to carnaby street basically listening to free radio produced for a minority of people through the UK but paid for by Manx taxpayers to boost Manx radios listening figures in an attempt to justify their existence?

Just now, IOM said:

I don’t get Carnaby Street. Great to have the 60’s music but pretending you are on a train and all the sexual innuendos with what seems like an 80 year old woman ( Doris?) makes me feel a little uneasy.

Why not play the music without the dodgy dialogue?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Are the people across who tune in to carnaby street basically listening to free radio produced for a minority of people through the UK but paid for by Manx taxpayers to boost Manx radios listening figures in an attempt to justify their existence?

There’s plenty of stations playing older music. Paul Gambacinni (sp) for example playing the hit parades from yesteryear on Radio 2

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

Have you never thought that it might encourage people to consider coming to the Isle of Man as a tourist. If they do then they will spend here and that’s certainly a benefit to you . 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Forget RAJAR and statistics and look at the number of advertisers on Manx Radio who have been on there for decades (admittedly often with the same adverts). If it didn’t work they wouldn’t buy the airtime.

Or maybe they are government departments (Villa Gaiety, Railways etc.) who don't care if they work or not because it's another lump of cash on top of the subvention to prop up the NMP. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

There’s plenty of stations playing older music. Paul Gambacinni (sp) for example playing the hit parades from yesteryear on Radio 2

That’s fine.  All license payers pay for that.

IOM was using the fact that people who don’t pay for MR content listen to it as a justification for them existing 

1 minute ago, genericUserName said:

Why not just put on a Spotify playlist of you want to listen to cheezy pop music from any particular decade? And if you want adverts then just don't subscribe.

Why do we need radio for this?

If that’s what you want then fine go for it !  But a lot of people tune in to radio for company and to be entertained . Don’t you get that different people want different things ? 

Just now, IOM said:

If that’s what you want then fine go for it !  But a lot of people tune in to radio for company and to be entertained . Don’t you get that different people want different things ? 

Yes, I absolutely get that.

Don’t you get that my point is that the people who want what Manx Radio offers are nearly all old and will not be listening in a few years?

1 minute ago, IOM said:

Have you never thought that it might encourage people to consider coming to the Isle of Man as a tourist. If they do then they will spend here and that’s certainly a benefit to you . 

I’ve never thought that. As much as I may enjoy the 60’ s music the steam train connection is tenuous to say the least. And the Radio Caroline /pirate radio link  thing is just downright confusing.