Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

39 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes that’s what’s happened to Radio 2. When I was in my teens it was inconceivable that you would hear say Led Zeppelin, the Sex Pistols et al on that station.

It's happening at 6 music too - more early 00's dance get played, which is kind of a transition zone for aging night time Radio 1 listeners who aren't yet unhip enough for Radio 2.  

1 hour ago, Declan said:

But the new old people won't want the same thing as the old old people. If you grow up listening to Nirvana and 90's Rave you suddenly start listening to Perry Como when you turn 60.

I suppose it's a bit of a science worthy of a music degree dissertation.

Clinging onto the cliche, many old folks homes are still banging out World War II hits to amuse the residents, who in their day were the bright young things of the 50s and 60s.

As a teenager I've jumped around in the moshpit (before it was named thus) and pogo'd to the Sex Pistols, but recumbent in my wheelchair I'd much prefer a bit of Gracie Fields or yer man Perry.

18 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

This is all to do with Covid, and living under martial law where Manx Radio was the government media channel, not down to the shit content pumped out daily.

Thank you for highlighting this.

Don't be silly.  Those are the 2021-22 figures, so mostly after all the Covid restrictions went - and all after the most serious ones were lifted. 

Manx Radio's accounts continue to be one of the most uninformative documents in the world, but there is a bit more stuff than there used to be in the MD's report and it highlights that, as with a lot of news sources, engagement is no longer just by listeners and RAJAR won't pick those up - even though, as I have pointed out before, Manx Radio continues to be one of the most listened to local radio stations RAJAR monitors (and 3FM does very well too - so it isn't from being a monopoly).

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, AOR said:

Clinging onto the cliche, many old folks homes are still banging out World War II hits to amuse the residents, who in their day were the bright young things of the 50s and 60s.

As a teenager I've jumped around in the moshpit (before it was named thus) and pogo'd to the Sex Pistols, but recumbent in my wheelchair I'd much prefer a bit of Gracie Fields or yer man Perry.

I still prefer Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash and more from that era  

35 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Don't be silly.  Those are the 2021-22 figures

Oh silly me, just it says quite fucking clearly on that info graphic it is for January 2021 to December 2021 and so these amazing figures that @IOMis so keen to trumpet is for the COVID period, they even add a caveat.

"As expected that spike has reduced gradually as the island has return to ‘normal’ so whilst digital stats are still impressive and taking into account the pandemic, still rising; the high levels of digital media consumption will not be repeated outside of a major event such as the lockdown.

COVID not Content.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Oh silly me, just it says quite fucking clearly on that info graphic it is for January 2021 to December 2021 and so these amazing figures that @IOMis so keen to trumpet is for the COVID period, they even add a caveat.

"As expected that spike has reduced gradually as the island has return to ‘normal’ so whilst digital stats are still impressive and taking into account the pandemic, still rising; the high levels of digital media consumption will not be repeated outside of a major event such as the lockdown.

COVID not Content.

And please tell me did the 2021 election happen in covid ? I provided stats for that in the data set . As others have pointed out if you have more reliable data to support your position then please do share it . In the meantime I will go about my business I suspect it will be a long wait !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IOM said:

And please tell me did the 2021 election happen in covid ? I provided stats for that in the data set . As others have pointed out if you have more reliable data to support your position then please do share it . In the meantime I will go about my business I suspect it will be a long wait !

Did you answer the question about how many of those hits were MR staff or internal.  Do you know what steps they take to exclude repeat vie internal site visits from their stats?

9 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Did you answer the question about how many of those hits were MR staff or internal.  Do you know what steps they take to exclude repeat vie internal site visits from their stats?

I don’t need to I have at least provided data I am still waiting for any from you . If you have issues with the integrity of the data I suggest you contact the Communications Commission and get them to look into it . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AOR said:

Would you really?  

19 minutes ago, IOM said:

I don’t need to I have at least provided data I am still waiting for any from you . If you have issues with the integrity of the data I suggest you contact the Communications Commission and get them to look into it . 

I asked Manx Radio when they were trying to flog us advertising.

They had no real understanding of the figures they were presenting, no real understanding of what a page view actually was and no understanding or idea about unique views.  He couldn’t grasp that if I looked at their website from my iPad, phone and laptop on the same day they were reporting me as three separate users.  

Those figures are complete nonsense and you only have to look at the actual interactions on their social media or YouTube to verify that.

Edited by Asthehills