Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

8 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I asked Manx Radio when they were trying to flog us advertising.

They had no real understanding of the figures they were presenting, no real understanding of what a page view actually was and no understanding or idea about unique views.  He couldn’t grasp that if I looked at their website from my iPad, phone and laptop on the same day they were reporting me as three separate users.  

Those figures are complete nonsense and you only have to look at the actual interactions on their social media or YouTube to verify that.

If you really are so proficient at data mining and analytics then I am amazed you have not as yet shared any of it on these forums

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, IOM said:

If you really are so proficient at data mining and analytics then I am amazed you have not as yet shared any of it on these forums

I can barely see at the moment and am dictating to my laptop after surgery.

Cooying and pasting data from social media comparable tools is currently beyond me.  Sorry.

3FM stomp all over Manx Radio online and I am suprised trading standards aren’t on to them with their manipulation and misrepresentation of the figures.  I might take that on next week actually.

RAJAR figures here are irrelevant post COVID as unless it’s changed in the last few months they hadn’t actually visited the island since 2019 and the actual sample size is so small As to make it pointless. 

Why not ask Manx Radio if they have been in dispute with RAJAR over the accuracy of recent figures for the reasons given above? 

Edited by Asthehills

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

Oh silly me, just it says quite fucking clearly on that info graphic it is for January 2021 to December 2021 and so these amazing figures that @IOMis so keen to trumpet is for the COVID period, they even add a caveat.

"As expected that spike has reduced gradually as the island has return to ‘normal’ so whilst digital stats are still impressive and taking into account the pandemic, still rising; the high levels of digital media consumption will not be repeated outside of a major event such as the lockdown.

COVID not Content.

The graphic the figures quoted were mostly derived from is quite clearly for 2021-22, split by quarter:

image.thumb.png.71407fb4656fe9ba6e4700867b142fd1.png

As for that quote (p 35) it's quite clearly referring to the previous year (2020-21) being boosted by Covid and the current one being reduced from that, though they claim with an underlying increase, as the previous para to what you quoted makes clear:

Due to Covid restrictions and the methodology involved, RAJAR suspended listener surveys during the pandemic and results only began to return by the beginning of 2022. Listenership is still extremely strong with current stats showing that on average 30% of the population listen to Manx Radio’s traditional broadcasting for over 10 hours a week and we reach circa 45,000 islanders every month.

Note that RAJAR surveys have restarted, though as Manx Radio's figures are normally based on a year's surveys, they won't be fully comparable till the next set.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Note that RAJAR surveys have restarted, though as Manx Radio's figures are normally based on a year's surveys, they won't be fully comparable till the next set.

Yes they have, but at much lower levels on island than in the rest of Britain or pre COVID.  They are contacting a handful of people and they are predominately older people. 

I previously saw data that a set of RAJAR data that figures were taken from. In the last 12 months was based on questioning 3 people on island under 40!!!

6 hours ago, Asthehills said:

3FM stomp all over Manx Radio online and I am suprised trading standards aren’t on to them with their manipulation and misrepresentation of the figures.  I might take that on next week actually.

Let's be honest: 3FM is just a different version of crap. As is NRG.

Soon enough the frequencies will all be sold off. Band II takes up a huge chunk of valuable spectrum space. Then they are all online only.

8 hours ago, AOR said:

I suppose it's a bit of a science worthy of a music degree dissertation.

Tell you what I would like to see as a music degree dissertation.

Commentating on follow up albums as if they were the first ( or subsequent) rather than the second ( or previously released) from a band/ artist.

Like critiquing   “ The Clash” as if that were the follow up to “ Give them enough rope” or “Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars “  as if that had followed “Aladdin Sane” Led Zep 1 following Led Zep 2 etc.

Might produce some interesting material.

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Tell you what I would like to see as a music degree dissertation.

Commentating on follow up albums as if they were the first ( or subsequent) rather than the second ( or previously released) from a band/ artist.

Like critiquing   “ The Clash” as if that were the follow up to “ Give them enough rope” or “Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars “  as if that had followed “Aladdin Sane” Led Zep 1 following Led Zep 2 etc.

Might produce some interesting material.

You could do one called 'On second thoughts' and look at follow up albums that when released weren't as well received as they could have been but looking back they were actually really great.

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You could do one called 'On second thoughts' and look at follow up albums that when released weren't as well received as they could have been but looking back they were actually really great.

Yes indeed. Not necessarily follow up albums but those a few albums on.

I would start with Young Americans by Bowie

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Sandanista by The Clash was much maligned upon its issue. Sure given the size of the triple album it has some duff tracks on there. But there are some gems to be had.

Have I hijacked this onto the wrong thread?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Sandanista by The Clash was much maligned upon its issue. Sure given the size of the triple album it has some duff tracks on there. But there are some gems to be had.

Have I hijacked this onto the wrong thread?

No, its good.

The Second Coming by The Stone Roses wasn't met with adulation especially from the press, after taking 5 years and sounding like a totally different band, but its completely great. I'd listen to a radio show about it.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

No, its good.

The Second Coming by The Stone Roses wasn't met with adulation especially from the press, after taking 5 years and sounding like a totally different band, but its completely great. I'd listen to a radio show about it.

Yea I’d go along with that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

everything Pink Floyd have done post “ Dark Side” with the possible exception of “ Wish you were here” has not stood up to the same scrutiny and acceptance.

Well…Final Cut was actually good - but needed to be taken on its own terms, ie, a Waters solo in all but name, not really a Floyd album at all.   Animals was really good - but needed some readjustment from the fans of DSOTM, as it was aggressive and nihilistic, rather than hippy-dippy.

I can’t defend The Wall, though…Roger’s psyche and First World issues indulged over four sides?   Great live show, though!

Edited by Jarndyce
The Wall!
  • Thanks 1