Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Sandanista by The Clash was much maligned upon its issue. Sure given the size of the triple album it has some duff tracks on there. But there are some gems to be had.

Have I hijacked this onto the wrong thread?

I bought the Album listened it through once then played HItsville UK on (manual - lift and drop) repeat, probably a couple of thousand times. 

14 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Well…Final Cut was actually good - but needed to be taken on its own terms, ie, a Waters solo in all but name, not really a Floyd album at all.   Animals was really good - but needed some readjustment from the fans of DSOTM, as it was aggressive and nihilistic, rather than hippy-dippy.

I can’t defend The Wall, though…Roger’s psyche and First World issues indulged over four sides?   Great live show, though!

I can remember when the final cut was announced a mate of mine declared "I hope that's a fucking promise"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, finlo said:

I can remember when the final cut was announced a mate of mine declared "I hope that's a fucking promise"

OK…if that was your mate’s reaction at the time it was announced, ie, before it was available to buy and listen to - then I’m guessing that this mate wasn’t a fan.

Was he part of the “I hate Pink Floyd” gang, who appeared at the same time as the Pistols?

Edited by Jarndyce
Rotten’s T-shirt

Many (most?) bands have a creative peak, and what’s considered a golden period, either side of which they’re not so good. Happens somewhere around the 4th or 5th album. 

Floyd - Dark Side (8th - slow starters)

Queen - Night at the Opera (4th)

Dream Theater - scenes from a memory (5th)

Rush - 2112 (4th)

There are a few bands who have an amazing debut album and never seem to manage to match it however. 

• Like 1

Primal Scream had enormous success with Screamadelica, but the follow up album 'Give out but don't give up' was heavily slated. Personally I love it but that's probably cos I'm a huge fan of George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic. It would be another album suitable for 'On second thoughts' series.

It also throws up another potential radio series though, which is one of production, where the record company takes charge and puts a producer in that isn't really what the band wants. There is a documentary (it was on bbc4 so it won't be hard to find) 'The Memphis tapes' about that Scream album, where the band used the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, and the difference is quite something. Good to compare and contrast what the band wanted and what the record company wanted.

A very good example of this is the Dandy Warhols. 'Welcome to the Monkey House' was released in 2003 and produced by Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran, and its good, but the band themselves later released their preferred version as 'The Dandy Warhols are Sound', and its a much better record, less polished but just groovier. Again I'd listen to a radio show about how it all came about.

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

Floyd - Dark Side (8th - slow starters)

Queen - Night at the Opera (4th)

Dream Theater - scenes from a memory (5th)

Rush - 2112 (4th)

Well…I agree with your view on Queen and Rush.   I can’t comment on Dream Theater.   But Floyd?

I’d suggest that DSOTM was certainly the commercial peak. The artistic peak of the pastoral, underground, experimental Floyd (which I love) was Meddle, and they’d been building to Echoes since the Saucerful…album.

I accept that I hold a minority view.

Edited by Jarndyce
Typo

6 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Well…I agree with your view on Queen and Rush.   I can’t comment on Dream Theater.   But Floyd?

I’d suggest that DSOTM was certainly the commercial peak. The artistic peak of the pastoral, underground, experimental Floyd (which I love) was Meddle, and they’d been building to Echoes since the Saucerful…album.

I accept that hold a minority view.

DSOFM?

Its a great album. But I agree, its not their best. Its iconic and was very skilfully marketed (including the graphics) and that's why people think its the best. Even Animals is better musically (IMO of course)

Edited by Happier diner

11 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

No, its good.

The Second Coming by The Stone Roses wasn't met with adulation especially from the press, after taking 5 years and sounding like a totally different band, but its completely great. I'd listen to a radio show about it.

I kind of perfered the Second Coming. The first lp was OK but to me it was like a lot of Indie lps of the time (Primal Scream's Sonic Flower Groove for example) but with more of a messianic rock star thing going on, which I'm not all than keen on. Preferred the singles between the two LPs, but I hadn't been waiting with baited breath for 5 years for the Second Coming so I could listen to it without expectation.

I quite like Sandanista too. It's more like a modern playlist than a coherent lp but it's mostly fun. 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Primal Scream had enormous success with Screamadelica, but the follow up album 'Give out but don't give up' was heavily slated. Personally I love it but that's probably cos I'm a huge fan of George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic. It would be another album suitable for 'On second thoughts' series.

It was a bit of a wrong turn. But they were on a routine of - great album (Sonic Flower Groove), Ok LP (Primal Scream), Great Album (Screamedelica), OK LP (GOBDGU), Great Album (Vanishing Point / Echo Dek) for the first part of their career.  Before they settled down to being consistently good without being groundbreaking. That said the OK lps (at least the ones I've listed as OK, you may think different) are important in the bands development both draw heavily on their influences are a bit backward looking but they added to the band's pallet going forwards. 

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Many (most?) bands have a creative peak, and what’s considered a golden period, either side of which they’re not so good. Happens somewhere around the 4th or 5th album. 

I don't really buy that there's a golden period for "many" or most bands. Maybe in the classic rock era when bands got rich, got into cocaine and burned out, but that's long gone. Now they are many bands who can be guaranteed to make good album after good album for twenty years or more.

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

the genealogy working population 

The what?

Anyway, we can only talk about bands that peaked (or not) relatively early in their career with reference to bands that are long way into their career. How do we know whether Wet Leg have peaked with their debut or Idles have been do a downward spiral since Joy As An Act of Resistance.

Edited by Declan