Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Th least page of this thread only goes to highlight how old the posters are on here, and confirm that any views held by the fogeys on MF are well out of touch with the general working population 

I think your post goes to show you just don’t understand. For a start you are on Manx forums so you are quoting yourself ! And unless you have some further detailed mystery analytics and data then you have no idea how old they are ! I would respectfully suggest that’s it’s you that’s out of touch ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Sat in bed ill after major surgery and can barely see.  Everything is being dictated to the laptop.

Apologies, my wife has now gone in and edited for you 

I liked the original better. Some forums don't allow editing after a post has been replied to or quoted as it kind of skews the meaningfulness of the replys

Anyway. Hope you get well soon.

4 minutes ago, IOM said:

I think your post goes to show you just don’t understand. For a start you are on Manx forums so you are quoting yourself ! And unless you have some further detailed mystery analytics and data then you have no idea how old they are ! I would respectfully suggest that’s it’s you that’s out of touch ! 

I would be pretty confident that the demographic here is over 50, probably over 60.  The same as Manx Radio.  Sometimes you can use you brain rather than needing data to back it up.

How about asking people?  

I will start as clearly a youngster ion here at 48

7 minutes ago, IOM said:

I am on Manxforums after becoming ill earlier in the year and having way more free time than I normally would, like a retired person.

I think you might have shut yourself in the foot with that one.

Just now, Asthehills said:

I am on Manxforums after becoming ill earlier in the year and having way more free time than I normally would, like a retired person.

I think you might have shut yourself in the foot with that one.

Really ? I think you might have just shot yourself in the foot because if we are playing that game I am younger than you ! And I already provided census data to show how the island population in general is skewed to older demographics. And please tell me what is wrong with serving the needs of older people anyway or are they irrelevant and not important ? 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I will start as clearly a youngster ion here at 48

No disrespect intended: but, at age 48, I don’t believe that you can guarantee a better insight into the music-listening habits of the “general working population” than anyone else on here.    Too many other factors contribute - not just age.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

Many (most?) bands have a creative peak, and what’s considered a golden period, either side of which they’re not so good. Happens somewhere around the 4th or 5th album. 

Floyd - Dark Side (8th - slow starters)

Queen - Night at the Opera (4th)

Dream Theater - scenes from a memory (5th)

Rush - 2112 (4th)

There are a few bands who have an amazing debut album and never seem to manage to match it however. 

Similarly Lou Reed -Transformer (2nd?) However I think that because that album was so great, the follow up Berlin, although not being as good was underrated.

The same cannot be said of Metal Machine Music however

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jarndyce said:

No disrespect intended: but, at age 48, I don’t believe that you can guarantee a better insight into the music-listening habits of the “general working population” than anyone else on here.    Too many other factors contribute - not just age.

Didn’t say I could?  Where did I suggest that?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Similarly Lou Reed -Transformer (2nd?) However I think that because that album was so great, the follow up Berlin, although not being as good was underrated.

The same cannot be said of Metal Machine Music however

Lou had a lot of experience before his debut lp though.The funny thing about Transformer is that when I was a teen I would have said that it is was unequivocally a classic album, but I feel now it is a bit shallow. Berlin is much better. New York was a greater achievement too but suffers from 80's production. 

But if we're talking career peaks we are beginning to see a clutch of late career classics - Johnny Cash's American Recordings lps, Bowie's Blackstar

• Thanks 1