Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

11 minutes ago, wrighty said:
22 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Sorry, much like Manx Radio, this thread will be full of filler and repeated content 

Like Pink Floyd's Animals album (in a desperate attempt to get the thread back on its more enjoyable side-track)

Ooh!  Controversial!   Animals is under-rated (falling between WYWH and The Wall) - one of their best, IMHO…

Edited by Jarndyce
Typo

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

I’d suggest that Berlin was actually the better album - but it was darker (a hard listen) and didn’t have any hit singles.

The hit singles thing is probably why Parallel lines is the album most associated with Blondie. 
(I could never quite imagine “They’re taking her children away” getting to No 1 in the pop singles chart!)

I mean  the track “the kids”

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Last sentence

11 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Ooh!  Controversial!   Animals is under-rated (falling between WYWH and The Wall) - one of their best, IMHO…

3 lengthy tracks (10-17 minutes each) with long filler segments plus intro and outro.

I've learnt much of it to play live, and they're good tracks - particularly Sheep - but not my favourites, and being a bit more obscure than Money/Brick in the Wall/Shine On etc you can lose some of your audience in the middle bits.

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

3 lengthy tracks (10-17 minutes each) with long filler segments plus intro and outro.

I've learnt much of it to play live, and they're good tracks - particularly Sheep - but not my favourites, and being a bit more obscure than Money/Brick in the Wall/Shine On etc you can lose some of your audience in the middle bits.

Yeah Animals is different. I'll grant you that. Its my favourite but I can't imagine a tribute band picking it. 

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah Animals is different. I'll grant you that. Its my favourite but I can't imagine a tribute band picking it. 

Mixed views in the band.  They have done it before in its entirety, but current majority view is one track from it per show is enough.  It could change in the future though.

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

I think it’s fair to say most people musical preferences are what was popular when they were in their teens isn’t it?  Hours spent in your bedroom, in clubs or when you first were afforded the freedom of driving with the tunes of the times playing.

I take it this is another one of your opinions ? I am not sure that would be supported by facts . If it’s true why are older people even listening to Manx Radio as you suggest they rarely ever play music from the 40s and 50s or even 60s for that matter ( except two hours on a Saturday morning) which would be from their teenage years . 

9 minutes ago, IOM said:

I take it this is another one of your opinions ? I am not sure that would be supported by facts . If it’s true why are older people even listening to Manx Radio as you suggest they rarely ever play music from the 40s and 50s or even 60s for that matter ( except two hours on a Saturday morning) which would be from their teenage years . 

Most of them don’t, do try and keep up.

Most people listen to national radio stations or their own music, most of the older people listen to BBC radio stations or their own music, but of the few people who do REGULARLY listen to a Manx Radio for any period of time, most of those people are of more advanced years.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Most of them don’t, do try and keep up.

Most people listen to national radio stations or their own music, most of the older people listen to BBC radio stations or their own music, but of the few people who do REGULARLY listen to a Manx Radio for any period of time, most of those people are of more advanced years.

But Manx radio is a national radio station I suggest you keep up ! I am sorry you really do show your naivety on this subject with every new post you make . 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IOM said:

But Manx radio is a national radio station I suggest you keep up ! I am sorry you really do show your naivety on this subject with every new post you make . 

What makes you so informed by the way?  Is it RAJAR figures and dodgy web stats that Manx Radio clearly want to manipulate to look as good as possible to sell advertising to businesses who want to sell stuff to old people, or do you have skin in the game?

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

What makes you so informed by the way?  Is it RAJAR figures and dodgy web stats that Manx Radio clearly want to manipulate to look as good as possible to sell advertising to businesses who want to sell stuff to old people, or do you have skin in the game?

I have absolutely no skin in the game none at all ! But I use data from various sources to help inform my opinions , read industry articles etc and talk to people too . So basically I use multiple sources and then use my brain to think it through . I would respectfully suggest you have an opinion ( which is fair enough everyone is entitled to an opinion ) but when it comes to qualifying that opinion you seem less able to provide any meaningful data , facts or evidence . 

Manx Radio operate a racial sub-conscious bias or perhaps its not so sub-concious.

Artists of colour are not represented on the playlist certainly no genres such as Reggae, Soul, Funk, Blues, Hip-Hop, Jungle nothing, not even Ray Charles gets an outing, it's a cultural wasteland.