Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Have the Gawne's  Father and Son taken over Manx Radio ? absolute drivel at lunchtime find him so false and more difficult to understand the put on Manx Accent  than the woman with poor command of the English language , is this where our taxpayer millions are being wasted !

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Omobono said:

the woman with poor command of the English language

Who’s that, then?   I know there’s a news presenter whose accent causes some difficulty with some contributors here (she’s fine as far as I’m concerned) - but her command of the English language is better than that of many.   Unless you don’t mean her?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

When they are discussing swimming pools etc shouldn't he declare an interest as clerk to Arbory and Rushen commissioners?

the laugh is on us ,while he is in there he is busy rewriting history  and erasing every cock up he was responsible for ,  I find the whole  Manx radio thing so incestious  and insulting to ones intelligence 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Conspiracy theorists out and proud on Mannin Line. Delusional. But this week's presenter (missed her name) was very calm and quickly moved them along. No waffling on like Andy does. And Julian got moved on in two minutes too. Arguably he should give it a rest for a while too. 

Beth Espy.  She is good at just about anything she presents, particularly the serious stuff. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Manx Radio have been given 30 days to reply to a FOI request which they refused to furnish regarding number of employees, money paid out for salaries etc.    This should make interesting reading.   Full details in IOM today.

As you can see it's a Sam Turton story and he actually put it up on Gef on the 1st, though the FoI Decision Notice had been issued a couple of weeks beforehand.

What strikes me about this is the sheer arrogance of Manx Radio management in trying to get away with this.  As I point out about once a year whenever I have a reason to look at Manx Radio's latest Accounts, they must be the most financially uninformative document on the Island - far worse than any other public body and many private ones.  Given that Manx Radio are supposed to be professional communicators, it doesn't speak much for their competence apart from anything else.

When they were asked for further details of the sort that any government department would and probably does already supply, they refused claiming it was exempt because everything they did was 'journalism'.  No one was asking for details of confidential investigative journalism (not that Manx Radio would dream of doing anything of the sort) just overall numbers of the sort that any competent management would know anyway.

The Information Commissioner basically pointed out this was nonsense, using both explicit Irish legislation and British case law (including an important Supreme Court case to illuminate the Manx legislation.  But really he should never have need to and it is shameful that Manx Radio even tried.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 days should give them more than adequate time to doctor a few things, engage in a spot of creative accountancy and if all else fails, scuttle down to Office Point for a supply of broad nib black felt markers. They can put the latter on the usual Govt account.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...