Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

More strange use of the English Language by the MR Journos:

Tia Watts, and her friend Cian will jump off a plane on 5 August in Grange over Sands with the aim of raising £1,000 for the Alzheimer's Society.

Normally people jump from a plane. (Unless they plan to climb out onto the wing before making the leap of faith?)

9 hours ago, KERED said:

More strange use of the English Language by the MR Journos:

Tia Watts, and her friend Cian will jump off a plane on 5 August in Grange over Sands with the aim of raising £1,000 for the Alzheimer's Society.

Normally people jump from a plane. (Unless they plan to climb out onto the wing before making the leap of faith?)

I heard that too, and wondered why they didn't just say 'make a parachute jump' unless, there is no parachute involved!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Which bright spark thought this was worth investing time and money in?

People are switching in their droves to internet radio via their phones in the vehicle, CarPlay, smart speakers at home etc.

Why do we need anything else alongside FM and internet when internet is now on a massive rise and we have already managed years without DAB?

Typical IOM. 15 years late to the party adopting a tech that is on the decline.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-radio-granted-3-year-dab-licence/?fbclid=IwAR1sIFz1GpBGMWaDEIXswof_3QLEhsxZH1---5juGNnTCfMgxIBJ-p2GKbo

6 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Which bright spark thought this was worth investing time and money in?

People are switching in their droves to internet radio via their phones in the vehicle, CarPlay, smart speakers at home etc.

Why do we need anything else alongside FM and internet when internet is now on a massive rise and we have already managed years without DAB?

Typical IOM. 15 years late to the party adopting a tech that is on the decline.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-radio-granted-3-year-dab-licence/?fbclid=IwAR1sIFz1GpBGMWaDEIXswof_3QLEhsxZH1---5juGNnTCfMgxIBJ-p2GKbo

AM and FM maintenance are getting more and more difficult as equipment become end of life.

There will at some point be a digital switchover (in the UK) which will compound the problem.

Edited by snowman

1 minute ago, snowman said:

Probably because AM and FM maintenance are getting more and more difficult as equipment become end of life.

FM isn’t going anywhere before 2030 at the earliest, by which time everyone will be on internet radio.

1 minute ago, snowman said:

internet radio - unlikely to happen in car with the mobile data prices in IOM 

I have used nothing else for well over two years.  Not an issue 

Who pays for data these days?

Edited by Ativa
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, snowman said:

If you have got an unlimited data plan with Sure or MT you are paying for data 

All my radio listening in the car is through Radioplayer in CarPlay.

it has used 2.9gb of data since the stats were last reset.

That is just over 1 percent of my data usage and I am using it over 30 hours a week.  It’s not an issue for anyone