Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 minute ago, ADELE said:

It should have been staggered approach as  think I heard on a later news update, it absolutely alters the whole meaning of the statement, just sloppy reporting or sloppy announcing.

I thought that when I first heard it, but if you listen to the recording again she does say stagnate.  Hence  my climbdown above. 

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I thought that when I first heard it, but if you listen to the recording again she does say stagnate.  Hence  my climbdown above. 

You'll be pleased to know you're in the company of great minds, Josem has highlighted it too!

At least it provides some difference between the living wage and the minimum wage, previously it was 30p. 

It's something that will hit some companies but it will every year as the living wage will only go one way, for the foreseeable anyway.

Edited by jackwhite

35 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Maybe she mispoke and she meant to say staggered. More likely it was Freudian Slip she meant to say staggered but really thought the wages lowest paid should stagnate. 

What is amazing to me she uses the cost of living crisis as a reason not to pay people the living wage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

Maybe she mispoke and she meant to say staggered. More likely it was Freudian Slip she meant to say staggered but really thought the wages lowest paid should stagnate. 

What is amazing to me she uses the cost of living crisis as a reason not to pay people the living wage.

Indeed

More to the point she referred to the difficulties residential care providers would find if they had to raise the wages of their staff.  How about having a look at the profits these places make?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Strange that employees want the wages of the people who do the work to 'stagnate'.

I wonder if they will be stagnating their own pay.

Quite a few of the Islands small business employers pay themselves a lot less than the minimum wage...

• Like 1

The motorhome thing is of great concern to me as a motorhome owner but should be very worrying to all.

The proposal is that vehicles over 5.5m long and 1.8m high will not be allowed to park on a speed restricted road between 6pm and 7am or at all on Saturday or Sunday. 

That is every transit (and similar) van. Builders, joiners plumbers etc. If your boiler blows up on a Saturday tough luck. Your plumber will not be able to park outside your house.

Come TT and MGP all those thousands of vans with bikes in will have nowhere to go.

This  proposal is not thought through. 

4 minutes ago, NoTail said:

The motorhome thing is of great concern to me as a motorhome owner but should be very worrying to all.

The proposal is that vehicles over 5.5m long and 1.8m high will not be allowed to park on a speed restricted road between 6pm and 7am or at all on Saturday or Sunday. 

That is every transit (and similar) van. Builders, joiners plumbers etc. If your boiler blows up on a Saturday tough luck. Your plumber will not be able to park outside your house.

Come TT and MGP all those thousands of vans with bikes in will have nowhere to go.

Oh well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Still to go through consultation. These things can be ironed out.

No issue with the motorhome thing personally but I don't have one nor do I intend to buy one at any point. 

Also most of the people I've seen complaining about it are people I have no time for! I don't mean you, I don't know you enough to say! One in particular though I saw complaining about it and urging everyone, this morning, to get onto Alf tomorrow when he's on the radio. Good luck with that. 

It was a pretty timid state of affairs though.

I also hadn't realised, until today, that one of the jingles is spelling out the host's surname. Is that really necessary? Hadn't realised Mr Wint was an older version of Craig David or Jason Derulo (they both have felt the need to say their own name in their songs, for some reason. At least Craig David now refrains since his career was allegedly derailed by Leigh Francis).

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Indeed

More to the point she referred to the difficulties residential care providers would find if they had to raise the wages of their staff.  How about having a look at the profits these places make?

Do you think they make big profits?

9 minutes ago, woolley said:

Do you think they make big profits?

No idea on their profits but I do know of one wealthy care home owner. 

That said, it's not an industry I would want to earn a living from. The staff themselves are overworked and undervalued.

Certainly think there are some companies out there earning good profits who are underpaying staff.