Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

6 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Yes you could - he’s probably agreed off-mic to take these calls.   ANYTHING to avoid talking about DHSC/Manx Care, Ranson, Magson, Abbotswood, Paul Moulton and the clumsy attempt at muzzling the press, nurses strikes, pay and conditions, etc, etc, etc

The Minister did do his best to answer the questions he was presented with.

The problem was the topics raised in some of those questions.

He mentioned overspend, it's not, it's underfunding and has been historically for years.

It's all about Government spending priorities. Just how consistently wrong can they continue to be.

Dear God, the only consistency with our lot is consistently getting it so wrong with absolutely NO accountability.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Sentience said:

He mentioned overspend, it's not, it's underfunding and has been historically for years

Agreed, underfunded by £8-10M since about 2003 - but they won’t admit it.   They’d rather persist with efficiency drives, cost improvement plans, etc, all of which impact frontline services - especially with the pre-existing underfunding.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sentience said:

The Minister did do his best to answer the questions he was presented with.

The problem was the topics raised in some of those questions.

Yes: but my point was that he would be perfectly happy to be asked “off-topic” questions - fill in a bit more time until the end of the show.   If he’s answering a question about Crogga, he’s not talking about all the outstanding health issues.

1 hour ago, Sentience said:

Today's, July 31 2023 Mannin line.

Talking to the Health Minister, why in Gods name spend almost 10 minutes of airtime with a caller addressing Hooper about the 'Crogga' situation.

He's the HEALTH minister!!

AND NOW, AT 12:37 RAILWAYS AND HORSETRAMS

You couldn't make this up.

He's a minister and therefore involved in decisions made by the Council of Ministers.

Mostly he was explaining how the budget process works and the difference between capital and on-going expenditure.

21 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It's the colossal waste in the Health Service.

Define “colossal”.   Describe exactly where the waste is.

Don’t say too many managers - that’s true (including duplicate functions in DHSC/MC and the whole Manx Care/Michaels fiasco) but that’s poor policy decisions and misallocation of public funds, rather than “colossal waste”, per se …

23 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I don't buy the underfunded argument. It's the colossal waste in the Health Service. Ditto in Education. You could easily chuck another £20 or £30million at Health and it would just disappear down the black hole.  

I was chatting with someone recently who said our per capita spend on healthcare was already huge compared to the UK. Even allowing for economies of scale etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

our per capita spend on healthcare was already huge compared to the UK.

That’ll be the total spend, I assume, for DHSC and Manx Care?   Or would that be actual frontline spend (taking multiple and duplicate layers of management out of the total)?   eta: Would that total also include our tertiary care spend for the stuff that we can’t do ourselves (not a budget line you would see in England, I guess)?

Important to know, since England turned away from the Manx Care model as too expensive in terms of management functions being duplicated, just as IOMG signed up for it.

Edited by Jarndyce
eta

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Yes: but my point was that he would be perfectly happy to be asked “off-topic” questions - fill in a bit more time until the end of the show.   If he’s answering a question about Crogga, he’s not talking about all the outstanding health issues.

My point exactly !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Agreed, underfunded by £8-10M since about 2003 - but they won’t admit it.   They’d rather persist with efficiency drives, cost improvement plans, etc, all of which impact frontline services - especially with the pre-existing underfunding.

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I don't buy the underfunded argument. It's the colossal waste in the Health Service. Ditto in Education. You could easily chuck another £20 or £30million at Health and it would just disappear down the black hole.  

The efficiency drives are just cosmetic. There is no intention to reduce the ludicrous management bureaucracy surrounding every function of government. The establishment of Manx Care proves the point. More and more waste all the time.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2023 at 3:55 PM, Roger Mexico said:

It's always been like that.  Manx Radio has been running for nearly 60 years and nearly all that time it's had a midday phone-in and it's always been dominated by the obsessed and those fond of the sound of their own voice (including the presenters of course).

Part of the reason is obvious from that description - those sort of people are the most likely to ring and think the listeners ought to hear what they have to say.  And if there's no one else available they're likely to be broadcast.  And if they aren't they'll be the first and loudest making a fuss about 'censorship'.  (Look how it's the most prolific posters on MF at any time who are most likely to believe they are being suppressed).

There also develops a sort of Gresham's Law where people who could make useful and constructive contributions become reluctant to participate simply because the sort of person who normally does is seen as a loony.  You can get round this by having such people on as guests, but that will only really apply to those who have some sort of official position.  Ordinary people who might have something to say will only contribute when it's something they feel particularly passionate about, if then.

Have you listened to it recently? I think this assessment is unfair on Andy Wint. It isn't the same animal as it was under David Callister back in the day, or even Stu. It's now one hour of speech output, and it never resorts to music as a fallback.

Wint has introduced more structure and usually sets an agenda for discussion, so this curbs the tendencies of some of the regular bores to some extent. He will get rid of them too if they are abusing the privilege. There isn't much you can do if you bring the health minister in and callers come on asking about other stuff.

I don't often catch it, but I think it's quite a professional sounding programme nowadays considering it's pretty much the work of one man.