Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, Maugholdmafia said:

More quality journalism from Manx Radio... 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/drop-in-uk-average-house-values-not-reflected-in-isle-of-man/

"A sharp, 4 per cent drop in the average property price in the UK over the past year, hasn't been mirrored in the Isle of Man." - BETWEEN JULY 2022 & JULY 2023

"Despite anecdotal evidence that the local market has slowed down, figures from propertyprices.im suggest the average sale price in July was around £12,000 higher than the previous month." - BETWEEN JUNE 2023 & JULY 2023 

You what 😂😵

Great job Manx Radio. Completely missed the point in UK statistics there and fudge it for the isle of man month to month. No problem on the IOM. Invest here, please we are desperate

Even the Sunday Times is crap on the basics nowadays. There was a headline this week about "business rax". They meant tax. Used to be a good read twenty years ago, but it's gone downhill in a big way. Much more dumbed down now compared to its glory days. Four quid too, I notice!! Four quid for a newspaper! Some of the grammar is also a poor reflection on education standards, to the extent of rendering whole paragraphs unintelligible.

As far as the written word in print and online more generally is concerned, I wonder how much of the error strewn content we see now is due to journalists typing and setting up their own copy digitally. In the old days it was a more labour intensive function, and possibly a compositor or typesetter would correct any howlers before printing. Nobody would have been stupid enough to set up "business rax" letter by letter, for instance.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

It gets that far? I'll name that tune in one. It's gone before the second note. 70 years of bilge, and isn't there still an original cast member? Or was until very recently. Incredible.

Personally speaking, I can say that I have enjoyed dipping in and out of The Archers, from time to time, over the past 5 decades or so.

The Archers is a "soft target", and easy to criticize, but I feel sure that this "Everyday Story Of Country Folk" has given pleasure to many people over the past 70 years. (I don't see a lot wrong with that.)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, KERED said:

Personally speaking, I can say that I have enjoyed dipping in and out of The Archers, from time to time, over the past 5 decades or so.

The Archers is a "soft target", and easy to criticize, but I feel sure that this "Everyday Story Of Country Folk" has given pleasure to many people over the past 70 years. (I don't see a lot wrong with that.)

Yes, can't argue. Horses for courses and all of that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KERED said:

Yes not my cup of tea but it would be a strange existence if every thing in the world was my cup of tea.

I don’t think my life would be enhanced if every thing in it was my cup of tea. In fact I don’t think I’d like it.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

They updated the online piece headline to something like: Shock expressed at Sudden Death of Paul Bird.  And then took the story down 

Though the lead-in from other stories remained:

image.png.acaa37ed0faebd63fcdc9f95a417c5b1.png

Until that vanished as well.  The Sports Hub one PBM owner, Paul Bird, dies aged 56 is currently still there.

But really, you can't say the original headline was wrong, can you?  You often see headlines in that format, particularly when the death is sudden.  And the way that people reacted suggests they were more concerned with having their delicate sensibilities offended than shocked or saddened about the death of someone comparatively young.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Absolute scum who wrote this headline.

The comments on the post are rightly very critical of MR.

It will probably be deleted before most people read this, but is posted to show how appalling they are.

IMG_7735.jpeg

How would you have wanted the headline to be written?

• 4 weeks later...