Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

1 minute ago, gettafa said:

Bollocks. How can you say that.

More like he has been wide-eyed awake every night since the election wondering how the hell he didn't walk back in. Every political headline (such as Howard as Chief Minister) will be like a knife through his heart.

And every time his more-or-less replacement Jason Moorhouse makes the headlines that knife will be red hot (I suppose that particular bit can all be blamed on giving 6-year-olds the vote).

When will Moorhouse EVER make the headlines in a positive way.

Don't know what he was like as a teacher, but as a politician, he is crap and a total waste of peoples votes.

Come on  "gettafa", you know better than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

When will Moorhouse EVER make the headlines in a positive way.

Don't know what he was like as a teacher, but as a politician, he is crap and a total waste of peoples votes.

Phil Gawne - Mr Manx Politics, or whatever he may think he is.

To be beaten by Mr Moorhouse must be a real bastard pill to swallow. I think that was what I was more-or-less saying ie. in agreement with you. He doesn't have to be a good teacher, just a reasonably not unpopular teacher. Not hard to do. He will have scooped up plenty of votes from the 16-35 year-olds (he taught for 16 years).

Phil of course got the farmers vote. He will also have captured the once powerful manxie manxie vote, but simple statistics has shown that that will have dwindled since 2003. Plus Nationalism has become a grimey word over the years.

1 minute ago, gettafa said:

. Phil Gawne - Mr Manx Politics, or whatever he may think he is.

To be beaten by Mr Moorhouse must be a real bastard pill to swallow. I think that was what I was more-or-less saying ie. in agreement with you. He doesn't have to be a good teacher, just a reasonably not unpopular teacher. Not hard to do. He will have scooped up plenty of votes from the 16-35 year-olds (he taught for 16 years).

Phil of course got the farmers vote. He will also have captured the once powerful manxie manxie vote, but simple statistics has shown that that will have dwindled since 2003. Plus Nationalism has become a grimey word over the years.

Yes, But Moorhouse is still as powerful as being hit with a wet fish. What a wimp. Chocolate teapot if ever there was one. I like Phil Gawne and have a lot of time for him.

Dumping him is our loss. Really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In comparison you're probably right. However there were some good other candidates in ACM but they split the vote. The longterm school teacher had the upper hand.

And regarding the manx vote. Phil had huge support when he first got in, he was a bit edgy with a crim record to boot. A Peter Karran with a degree rather than a dolphin certificate. But the establishment soon sucked him in. He was an easy nut to crack. Putty in tehir hands.

That didn't go unnoticed.

A classic case of being a man of the people at election time only.

• Like 2

In my opinion, as a parent of a child at CRHS during his teaching time there, he (Moorhouse) wasn't a good teacher - a view shared by my child. But hey - who's to say? It's my understanding he still "helps out" there - baby farming as opposed to to the DESC Minister's alleged granny farming? Having met the guy (Moorhouse again) and tried to engage him on matters of health, policing and local infrastructure  I certainly wouldn't entertain ever voting for him. Sadly he is very much out of his depth but then again ..... if comparing him to his colleagues in Tynwald what is the baseline?

Edited by The Deemster
Typo
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, gettafa said:

In comparison you're probably right. However there were some good other candidates in ACM but they split the vote. The longterm school teacher had the upper hand.

And regarding the manx vote. Phil had huge support when he first got in, he was a bit edgy with a crim record to boot. A Peter Karran with a degree rather than a dolphin certificate. But the establishment soon sucked him in. He was an easy nut to crack. Putty in tehir hands.

That didn't go unnoticed.

A classic case of being a man of the people at election time only.

Yeah. But Moorhouse ???????. We need strong politicians not limp "tow the liners" like him. He is so far out of his depth he sits in a life raft with two life jackets on.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Yeah. But Moorhouse ???????. We need strong politicians not limp "tow the liners" like him. He is so far out of his depth he sits in a life raft with two life jackets on.

True. Unfortunately most of any opposition are effectively neutered before anything can build up. Perhaps it’s the department membership and the additional salary? Perhaps when it comes to the crunch, it’s a case of ‘couldn’t be arsed voting against’. We are stuck with what we have for another 4 years, unless miracles happen in February MLC election!

11 hours ago, The Deemster said:

In my opinion, as a parent of a child at CRHS during his teaching time there, he (Moorhouse) wasn't a good teacher - a view shared by my child. But hey - who's to say?

This is the Isle of Man of course.

So here, one doesn't need to be a good teacher. Don't even need to know anything about politics etc. Just be known. 'Nice but dim' is fine as long as there is no nasty (that can come later once in)

So for example:

Geoff Corkish largely known for his Steam Packet Manx Radio mouthpiece days. And the local warbling community of course. And being a clown too. It all helps.

Graham Cregeen - postman. Keep smiling at all those people everyday and pushing those letters through the right doors, you'll be ok.

Thingummy Crookall - ditto, ditto, ditto.

In UK politics it's the party that counts and the candidate is often a complete unknown.

I think there should be a 'Nice but Dim' party.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gettafa said:

This is the Isle of Man of course.

So here, one doesn't need to be a good teacher. Don't even need to know anything about politics etc. Just be known. 'Nice but dim' is fine as long as there is no nasty (that can come later once in)

So for example:

Geoff Corkish largely known for his Steam Packet Manx Radio mouthpiece days. And the local warbling community of course. And being a clown too. It all helps.

Graham Cregeen - postman. Keep smiling at all those people everyday and pushing those letters through the right doors, you'll be ok.

Thingummy Crookall - ditto, ditto, ditto.

In UK politics it's the party that counts and the candidate is often a complete unknown.

I think there should be a 'Nice but Dim' party.

Which would have to be "led" by Malarkey

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1