Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I thought I'd spotted that name on here. Thanks for refreshing my old brain :)

He was only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.

Edited by Uhtred

On 1/14/2018 at 12:10 PM, gettafa said:

It seems every time I switch to Manx Radio (including just now) all I hear is a manxie voice  drawling "It's abundantly clear....etc"

I think that the drawling voice belongs to the former Minister For Fire Starting.  

Here's a splendid piece of journalism http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-answers-to-manx-defence-question/

It relates to an FOI request https://www.gov.im/media/1360308/im112826i-response.pdf

As far as I can see, the request made to the Attorney General and related to "defence" in the context of criminal legal aid. The journo however has invented a story about soldiers and clearly hasn't read the FOI request properly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Here's a splendid piece of journalism http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-answers-to-manx-defence-question/

It relates to an FOI request https://www.gov.im/media/1360308/im112826i-response.pdf

As far as I can see, the request made to the Attorney General and related to "defence" in the context of criminal legal aid. The journo however has invented a story about soldiers and clearly hasn't read the FOI request properly.

This is absolutely hilarious - what silly bugger thought that a question about military defence would be asked of the AG?

4 hours ago, piebaps said:

Well spotted.  It's probably better to quote the Manx Radio item in full in case it mysteriously vanishes:

No answers to Manx defence question

Sunday, January 28th, 2018 2:35pm

FoI request turned down

Government says questions over an independent Manx defence force are 'not in the public interest'.

A Freedom of Information request asking what discussions had taken place on the matter has been turned down, on grounds it could 'harm the effective conduct of public business'.

The Isle of Man's external defences have been historically handled by the UK.

There has been no Island-specific military presence since the Second World War, when a Manx Regiment of the Territorial Army was established.

Since 1992, the Island has contributed around £3 million per year to Britain's Ministry of Defence to maintain its security.

It's actually the only original item they've come up with today (everything else was press release stuff published automatically at 7am[1]) and they don't even seem to have got the details of what they have published correct (there was a TA presence on the Island after the War and there is again today). But it's astonishing that they couldn't even read as far in the FoI request to see that the information already supplied to the requester was about  "Criminal Legal Aid Costs" and "the Legal Aid Public Defender Sub-committee".   You'd think even the most inexperienced journalist would have been warned to check further, and anyone would click on the links to see what was already known about the story.

But I suppose that if the main purpose of journalism is seen as faithfully repeating what you've been told, then any form of investigative enquiry is going to be treated as something to be kept carefully away from.

[1]  Even that is often mucked up by the peculiar way that Manx Radio publishes such stuff.  They only put out a lot of community related stuff on the day on which it occurs (usually for the first time) and it leaves very little time for those who might be interested, but unaware of the event to take part.  For example the Beach Buddies clean at Spaldrick started at 10.30 am, but the item only goes up at 7:11 and presumably many who might have helped will see it too late.  This happens all the time and seems to have more to do with unimaginative scheduling to suit Manx Radio than any attempt to be useful to the community - publishing a few days before would be more helpful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On the subject of Manx Radio, I don't know if Stu has seen this contribution to the comments on a piece in the Guardian today about the 50th anniversary of the first British radio phone in[1]

teaandchocolate 

Contributor

My favourite is the Mannin Line on Manx Radio, known locally as The Moaning Line. There only appears to ever be the same three callers. Most notably an elderly lady who rings up, whatever the topic of the day, to complain about children swearing on the bus or how she can’t get her favourite brand of tea any more, only “that foreign muck”. The exasperation is barely contained by the long suffering radio dj who tries to steer her back on to the day’s nominated gripe.

Love it.

[1]  Or possibly not because the launch of Manx Radio was before this by several years and if they had any phone-ins in their early years, they would have had the precedence.  But I couldn't find any information on that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well spotted.  It's probably better to quote the Manx Radio item in full in case it mysteriously vanishes:

It's actually the only original item they've come up with today (everything else was press release stuff published automatically at 7am[1]) and they don't even seem to have got the details of what they have published correct (there was a TA presence on the Island after the War and there is again today). But it's astonishing that they couldn't even read as far in the FoI request to see that the information already supplied to the requester was about  "Criminal Legal Aid Costs" and "the Legal Aid Public Defender Sub-committee".   You'd think even the most inexperienced journalist would have been warned to check further, and anyone would click on the links to see what was already known about the story.

But I suppose that if the main purpose of journalism is seen as faithfully repeating what you've been told, then any form of investigative enquiry is going to be treated as something to be kept carefully away from.

[1]  Even that is often mucked up by the peculiar way that Manx Radio publishes such stuff.  They only put out a lot of community related stuff on the day on which it occurs (usually for the first time) and it leaves very little time for those who might be interested, but unaware of the event to take part.  For example the Beach Buddies clean at Spaldrick started at 10.30 am, but the item only goes up at 7:11 and presumably many who might have helped will see it too late.  This happens all the time and seems to have more to do with unimaginative scheduling to suit Manx Radio than any attempt to be useful to the community - publishing a few days before would be more helpful.

Why does it bother you so much?

You do seem to waste the gift of a good brain. Shame really.

Edited by dilligaf

9 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

i i i i i i i i i i'd err just li li li err like to say stu.

Are you seriously taking the piss out of a regular contributor to Talking Heads.?

I seriously hope not as that would take away any credibility you ever had. 

5 hours ago, piebaps said:

The scribblers employed by us at Manx Radio are not fit to wipe the arse of any proper journalist.