Which Is The Worst Cigarette Butt Grot Spot?

manxchatterbox

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry MCB, but the trend is now to marginalise smokers which means that more are pushed into the street to smoke. Surely you non-smokers will put up with a few cigarette butts on the pavement as a quid pro quo for having a smoke-free environment indoors?

Sorry MCB, but the trend is now to marginalise smokers which means that more are pushed into the street to smoke. Surely you non-smokers will put up with a few cigarette butts on the pavement as a quid pro quo for having a smoke-free environment indoors?

Hear Hear. :thumbsup:

Funny how the word "marginalise" doesn't sound as negative as "discriminate" ...

Sorry gtb but whereas the trend is certainly to marginalise smokers it doesn't stop at the office door.

Quid pro quo !!! The push will continue until the smokers end up 'doing it' only in the privacy of their own brown ceilinged homes.

The brown dog-end epitomises the attitude of the nicotine addict. 'Ahh, thats's my nicotine fix for the next hour or so'. They are at one with the world and their constant companion Mr Nicotine now, and simply discard their litter for someone else to clear up.

One of the questions I ask when interviewing job candidates is "do you smoke?" I need to factor in their 5 minute ciggie break downstairs out of the office whilst their non-addicted colleagues continue working.

One of the questions I ask when interviewing job candidates is "do you smoke?" I need to factor in their 5 minute ciggie break downstairs out of the office whilst their non-addicted colleagues continue working.

...even though they will probably be the last to sue you, when all the employees eventually line up with eye disorders, RSI etc. because they weren't given adequate breaks away from their computer work stations.

And of course, it doesn't matter to take into account that they may be the best worker, or one of those people that might still be at work at 9pm when you have urgent work to accomplish (in 25 years years of major project work that is my experience).

And of course you wouldn't want to say which company of course, because if the 25% of the population that smoke knew you pursued these practices - they might just boycott your organisation. But of course you can't do that as that would be bad for business wouldn't it?

What other questions do you ask - do you believe in 'Intelligent Design' or 'Creationism'?, do you vote the same as me?

I think that is an abuse of power, and if you worked for me, I would not expect your personal beliefs to influence decisions that might affect my company.

...Nipper...you're fired!

A reaction to my post. Now that wasn't my intention at all.

So regarding my categorising smokers at work. It's not really a discriminatory thing, but I have to know how staff work.

For example, say about mid-morning someone gets a phone call that is maybe out of the ordinary or is perhaps a little stress inducing, if that person is a smoker it will usually cause them to have a fag break. Nought wrong with that as such but personally I would prefer a matter to get sorted there and then and once resolved is the time for a bit of a break.

An hour long staff meeting - I can virtually guarantee the smokers will be gasping for a ciggie and so they will be out of the system for 10-15 minutes whilst they top up their nicotine levels.

Incidentally, did you see Green Wing last night/Friday night. Joanna Clore - now that's my sort of office smoker, all those nicotine patches and an innovative way to get a quick nicotine fix from the office boy who's been for a quick smoke of some extra mild.

post-1345-1144596390_thumb.jpg

Incidentally, I'm not all anti-smoking in the workplace. In the days when I did smoke (yep! I is an ex-smoker) smoking was generally allowed in all offices. Give me a packet of twenty then and I would easily do an all-nighter and have that urgent report ready for 9:15 the following day. And Nipper the smoker saved the company once again.

For example, say about mid-morning someone gets a phone call that is maybe out of the ordinary or is perhaps a little stress inducing, if that person is a smoker it will usually cause them to have a fag break. Nought wrong with that as such but personally I would prefer a matter to get sorted there and then and once resolved is the time for a bit of a break.

An hour long staff meeting - I can virtually guarantee the smokers will be gasping for a ciggie and so they will be out of the system for 10-15 minutes whilst they top up their nicotine levels

Well you should make it clear that smoking staff cant go outside for a ciggy other than in their breaks morning, dinner and afternoon.

i am a smoker and have never gone outside for a ciggy during work hours other than my dinner hour. This was made clear to me when i started work.

Going back to the original subject there should be cigarette bins out the back of offices so no one other than smokers are seen and there is a bin to dispose of buts.

There is a way round these things but some people would rather ban it all together!

Weird. I have always found a fag break to be a good time for problem solving and, therefore, productive.

Good for team bonding as well [at least amongst those who smoke]

• 5 months later...

MR says : Fixed penalty fines are being introduced in Douglas for the offence of littering. The move follows a "get tough" policy in relation to dog fouling, and Leader of the Town Council, David Christian, says anybody caught breaking the rules will face an on-the-spot fine of £50. Items covered include cigarette ends, unwanted food, empty cans and packaging. Non payment could lead to a fine of up to £2,500

..but first the Enforcement Officer has to attend a course in how to give out the tickets etc..

An hour long staff meeting - I can virtually guarantee the smokers will be gasping for a ciggie and so they will be out of the system for 10-15 minutes whilst they top up their nicotine levels

Well you should make it clear that smoking staff cant go outside for a ciggy other than in their breaks morning, dinner and afternoon.

i am a smoker and have never gone outside for a ciggy during work hours other than my dinner hour. This was made clear to me when i started work.

Going back to the original subject there should be cigarette bins out the back of offices so no one other than smokers are seen and there is a bin to dispose of buts.

There is a way round these things but some people would rather ban it all together!

There's an office half way up Prospect Hill (before you get to Victoria House) that always has lots of fag ends outside. The company should provide a bin for smokers.Shops and offices don't seem to sweep up outside their premises these days. Surely it would improve their image if they did.

There's lots of good stuff about cigarette litter on

www.encams.org/campaigns/sub.asp?sub=25

Sorry I don't know how to make that link active.

Archived